Thread: Black FG...whada ya know?

Black FG...whada ya know?

Inquiry - Can anybody with experience using black FG give some feedback (pros & cons) concering it's workability & finished look?....... Been after the asthetic look of carbon-fiber for awhile, solely for it's good looks with hardly a need for it's structural benefits or it's high cost. Got a couple of things in mind for my boat (deck insert, dash panel) I've recently become aware of it and would like to know more about it..
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

http://www.dragonplate.com/

Check them out. You can also buy cheap cf panels on ebay.

CF can be waterjet cut into whatever you can dream up. You wont need anything too thick.

I encourage you to spend a little extra cash and get real CF, because the texture is what creates the beauty which cant be replicated by a sticker or paint.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Pretty much works like regular fiberglass material, just a different color. You are correct there is not added strength benefits, just aesthetics. For the finished look though you will likely need to sand/wet sand & likely also need to clear the top appropriately.

Carbon fiber or Kevlar is the stronger stuff, black or colored fiberglass is just colored fiberglass... Jamie / Lakeside

Quote Originally Posted by Planetwarmer View Post
    http://www.dragonplate.com/
    Check them out. You can also buy cheap cf panels on ebay.
    CF can be waterjet cut into whatever you can dream up. You wont need anything too thick.
    I encourage you to spend a little extra cash and get real CF, because the texture is what creates the beauty which cant be replicated by a sticker or paint.
    I dont think he is talking about the "sticker" type or chromaveil stuff.. There is actually fiberglass cloth now that comes in different weaves & colors for aesthetics, it is less costly & is a little easier to use compared to the tru kevlar or carbon fiber. It just doesn't have the strength..

It is pretty neat stuff.. We have some & have been fooling with some of it in our shop.. Jamie / Lakeside

Appreciate the feedback guys!...........saw pictures of both (CF twill weave 2+2 & it's mimic blk FG) there seems to be no doubt, CF has great dimensional sparkle when laminated.........not so w/blk FG ........it appears void of dimensional luster, more matted not as deep.....there seems to be no substitute here.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Scippy you already know what i am going to say considering i voiced my opinion on another site and ...........seeing that you stated the boat on S & f looked nice .....lets be honest .....it reallly looked like $hit and hopefully you do not want the Mag looking that way . Scippy , Personally you need to decide what grade of fabric you are going to use , along with the twill and weave and in your case it might be advisable when doing this to have another set of hands because sometimes doing something of this caliber can be very overwhelming for one person .Scippy after all is said and done you have two alternatives to a finished product which is to Clear coat it with (PPG) or any other automotive clear sand , and buff , which i prefer above all .......or cover it in a resin with UV qualites to help insure against all yellowing or order a covering kit from one of the web sites that i have listed below .Scippy these sites might be of some interest and the first one has some great fabric ,and offering it in all kinds of colors & prints and the second is somewhat interesting in itself also www.compositeenvisions.com www.carbonsales.com Scippy , shoot me a pm with your phone number if you want . Artie

Scippy i forgot to mention that i really like any carbon fiber material made by PGF , because it is a higher quality material and woven tight which will help ensure a straight weave and a better looking final product ,and to you the truth i really like using a 4x4 twill because it has such a unique look but often use an Automotive grade 2x2 twill that comes in 19.7 oz , 11 oz which i prefer and 5.7 which is the most widely used in the Automotive industry .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Scippy you already know what i am going to say considering i voiced my opinion on another site and ...........seeing that you stated the boat on S & f looked nice .....lets be honest .....it reallly looked like $hit and hopefully you do not want the Mag looking that way . Artie
    Artie,

I wasn't going to be that honest!! ..........I agree, hope for better results with the Mag.........I think I sent you my number when we last spoke.......let me know.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Artie,

I wasn't going to be that honest!! ..........I agree, hope for better results with the Mag.........I think I sent you my number when we last spoke.......let me know.
    Scippy , sometimes ...you have to tell it like it is, and when has being honest been a bad thing ? Scippy , just curious ...........how polite do you think everybody on this site would be after viewing that ?

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Scippy , sometimes ...you have to tell it like it is and when has being honest been a bad thing ..........other then telling the person face to face or on a web site .....that it looks like $hit .
    Artie, you being honest and also funny???.........there is no better thing to behold!!!!...........Artie, go over to the "Ali-Frazier" post... we need you to run the years up.........so far Ed D. is the oldest fart.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by LKSD View Post
    I dont think he is talking about the "sticker" type or chromaveil stuff.. There is actually fiberglass cloth now that comes in different weaves & colors for aesthetics, it is less costly & is a little easier to use compared to the tru kevlar or carbon fiber. It just doesn't have the strength..
    It is pretty neat stuff.. We have some & have been fooling with some of it in our shop.. Jamie / Lakeside
    I was really pointing out the pre-formed flat panels that he may be able to use for his projects. The extra money for the panels may be worth paying if he saved time by using them.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thread Information