Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine Choice

Engine Choice

Guys,

Here's the set-up. You are looking for a used Donzi 22' Classic. You plan to run any boat you buy in both fresh and saltwater but predominantly in salt.

Assume that all three boats are similar in price, condition, and year model. Here are your engine choices:

496 Mag (375)
    496 Mag HO (425)
    377 Scorpion - (the blue one that is 377 hp Merc racing engine.)

I realize that the Scorpion would certainly be a more unique Donzi but do you opt for a Scorpion because it is a Scorpion or do you cross it off the list when one would get a closed cooling system on the other two choices? I also understand from Jamie that a 377 is a bit more difficult to modify later but that it can be "whippled".

Any drawback to the 496 HO over the straight 496 Mag other than the obvious horsepower?

Thank you in advance for your input...Adam

I had the 496 HO in my 26 Cobalt with closed cooling. I ran the chit out of it and it seemed bulletproof. Never gave me any problems.If I had a 22 classic, that would be my motor of choice
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

If i had it my way i would buy a boat minus the engine..i dont like any of the merc motors under 500 hp except for the 502 efi engines..Their is just something about being stock and me that just dont get along.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    If i had it my way i would buy a boat minus the engine..i dont like any of the merc motors under 500 hp except for the 502 efi engines..Their is just something about being stock and me that just dont get along.
    Yea but your like rainman with motors... you know way too much, Its mind boggeling
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    Yea but your like rainman with motors... you know way too much, Its mind boggeling
    I am the opposite of Fixx...more like the Barney Fife of motors ...on a good day.

Well, obviously I agree with Fixx (see my sig pic) but given your choices I would go with the mag HO or mag since they have closed cooling. There is no downside to the mag except that you give up 50 hp.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Whatever becomes your engine of choice~~~

ALWAYS go with a closed fresh water cooling heat exchanger system on any boat run in salt water !
    I have been boating all my life in salt water and a closed fresh water cooling system is a MUST-HAVE on any boat I will ever own !

You can always buy a closed cooling heat exchanger kit for almost any engine out there today !
    Money well spent !

To make sure any used boat you buy was never run in salt water ~~~ always insist that you are allowed to pull the thermostat outlet elbow and check for rust in the engine intake manifold water outlet.
    This is the highest part of any V-8 engine and the heavy salt water rust will always show-up here first !
    It also will be te most heavily rusted area in any saltwater run engne itself . (other than in the marine iron exhaust manifolds)

Heavy rust also shows up in the iron marine exhaust manifolds themselves whch you cannot see the interiors of very easily .

Many sellers claim to have a boat that was never used in salt water~~~
    You see this in used boat adverts all the time !
    "Freshwater only Boat !"
    The will swear to you that this s indeed true ~~~

From what I have often found by my many boat engine inspections~~~
    Most are not telling you the real truth here about past saltwater use !

Always do a thermostat elbow & intake manifold water outlet rust check before buying any used boat !
    Especially in a saltwater boating area !

Good Luck~~~A Donzi 22 Classic is a fantastic boat to own !
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

The heat exchanger doesn't necessarily have to take up a lot of available space either;

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

496ho
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Many thanks. All of that served to reinforce what I was thinking.

I have run boats since I was old enough to walk and was a charter captain for over twenty years but I always ran outboards.

The pic was a nice touch gcarter... and I really appreciate all the advice from everyone else.

, Adam

I have a 496 HO with a bravo X drive in the new boat I just picked up. Nice engine. 86 mph top speed on the gps speedometer. I thought the 496 HO was replaced by another engine?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/3342474-post14.html

Sutphen guys are always putting down Donzis. What's up with that? Bring that beotch out to the big water and let's see if it can hang on Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie.

"Super stand up people" yeah...

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Full-throttle View Post
    I have a 496 HO with a bravo X drive in the new boat I just picked up. Nice engine. 86 mph top speed on the gps speedometer. I thought the 496 HO was replaced by another engine?
    And how would you know that?? I think its to cold to even find open water amd from this video (i hope you didnt but this boat cuz from the looks of the vid's all he did was beat the crap out of it) looks like 82? mabe 83 mph..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbd9AJfiNo[/media]

The Sutphen is a smaller, lighter boat with a flatter bottom. Of course it is faster with than a Donzi 22 with the same power. The author of this thread indicates that he will boat in salt water; The ocean. I'd recommend sticking with the Donzi. Mine goes off shore all the time. So what it needs more power to run mid 80s? We have a boat on Lake Oakland that runs 115 mph with 300 hp. Maybe Adam should buy an STV . The Sutphen is a nice boat but their marketing methods suck. It just pisses me off.

BTW, Fullthrottle is a Sutphen dealer and should probably be banned. Go to "about me". I just don't think he should be here steering people away from Donzi and toward Sutphen..... If I'm out of line I apologize, http://www.speedwake.com/forums/member.php?u=5266

edit: You might have to be a Speedwake member to see it but for occupation it says "Sutphen Distributor".

Thread Information