Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator

1979 Formula 255 Liberator

This is my 4th Formula...1st was a '78 F-18 w/888 302 Ford/Merc on a No 1 drive. Had it 9 years. 2nd was a 1986 242 SS w/single 260 Merc/Alpha 1...the last one built in Miami. 3rd was a 1986 272 LS w/twin 320 EFI/Alpha 1...74 MPH "Bimini for Lunch Bunch" special.

Now I have lucked up on this 32 year old 255 Liberator that has been in Traverse City , Michgan for all but the last 2 years. Fresh water does make a difference and this survivor boat is testament to that. It has '06 model Mercruiser 260 crate motors on Merc No 1 drives. It came to me with a torn starboard u-joint bellows. That equated to a fried gimbal bearing and a partially rotted out bellows flange that leads to a transom assembly change out. I found a good, tight, fresh water No 1 transom assembly and the starboard engine is comming out this week to swap the TA.

Unbelievably...this 255 is rock solid after 32 years and has that classic "Don Arronow" look that still turns heads. The first step in the restoration is to get everything tight,safe and reliable and have some fun with this old girl.

As time and budget allows, we may get into Bravo drives and a pair of stout 383's. Prior to that move will come some creature comforts like modern electronics and a small power inverter diven Air Conditioning system....I was suprised to actually see a shore power set up on this boat. I would also very much like to find some late model McCleod/Formula bolsters for this one.

If anyone has a similar older Formula or Donzi I would love to compare notes and see some pics...here's mine.

Look at that freeboard! Nice boat, welcome.
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Great looking boat - gotta love classic lines.

I'm curious if you've done any research on a small inverter powered A/C system. I've not seen anything like that. Granted, I'm usually looking at larger systems but everything I can think of uses quite a bit of power. You're going to need a heck of a battery bank and one big-a$$ inverter! Not to mention some high-output externally regulated alternators to recharge that battery bank.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Hmmm...perhaps I should do some checking before I post.

Looks like MarineAir has a 12vdc system. Only 3500 btu, but that might be enough for a small cabin like this. No reverse cycle heat; only AC. It draws about 30 amps at 12v, so with a big battery bank you could make that work.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=80972

Keep in mind, I've never used or even seen one of these systems. I've used MarineAir plenty of times, but only the larger 120/240vac stuff.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cutwater View Post
    Seriously, you can stand on the drive and you're not guaranteed of making it out of the water onto the boat...
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Nice lookin old Formula. Those handle the big lakes great.
    I talked to Barry. Unfortunately he no longer has his.
    Craig,
    slowest boat resto project ever

Lake St Clair and Michigan's Inland Waterway

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    Hmmm...perhaps I should do some checking before I post.

Looks like MarineAir has a 12vdc system. Only 3500 btu, but that might be enough for a small cabin like this. No reverse cycle heat; only AC. It draws about 30 amps at 12v, so with a big battery bank you could make that work.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=80972

Keep in mind, I've never used or even seen one of these systems. I've used MarineAir plenty of times, but only the larger 120/240vac stuff.
    That is the system I am looking at. MarineAir is near my office in Pompano and I picked up some info from them. This 3500 BTU rig is perfect for my application. As far as heat go's...I'm in SE Florida so heat is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cutwater View Post
    Yes...they do ride nice in the water..

Now THAT is freeboard Great looking lines in white.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

and yet another one a friend sunk a ton of money into that he lost interest in..

Gorgeous boat.

<extend arm, flick lighter> "Freeboard! Freeboard!"
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

UPDATE...Motors going in!!

It's been almost two years and I have re-directed this project. One day I was out running and discovered that I had a blown out Freeze Plug on the port engine. I pulled both engines with the intent of replacing freeze plugs and cleaning up the bilge a bit. well...as thing can go with a project like this suddenly 2:New 355 Vortec Roller Cam SBC's came available at such a good price that I had to take them. These are 420+ HP engines so I knew the old Pre Alpha drives weren't up to the task. I found a good deal on a pair of near new fresh water Bravo Transom assemblies complete with rams and pumps. I pulled the old T/A's and in they went. I had to change just about everything associated with the engines, steering and drives to make this happen. New exhaust, brackets, ignition , cooling , bell housings, couplers, oil cooler, steering ram, etc.

Here are a few pics of where I have been with this.

255 Bravo Port 2.jpg255 Bravo Sbd.jpg255 Bravo Both.jpg255 Bravo Poort 2.jpg255 Bravo Port.jpg

EngineRR4.jpgEngineRR1.jpgEngineRR2.jpgEngineRR3.jpg255vortec2.jpg355vortec4.jpg355vortec3.jpgClean Bilge.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpgIMAG0206.jpg

The 255 is in the shop now having the engines and drives installed. we figure a few more weeks until I splash and strt prop selection.

Looks great--I bet she's a completely different boat. Can't wait to hear how it goes when you launch...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I had to replace the trailer...got tired of "Sucking up the Seat Covers" every time I went somewhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went with an All American twin torsion axle, 4 wheel disc, 10,200 GTRW carrying about 6500# loaded. Pulls nicely behind mt Escalade ESV.

[IMG][/IMG]

You guys know how these resto projects go. You get to the point where you start saying "Well...I might as well...". I didn't put a schedule on this project but I loosely figured 2~2 1/2 years...I'm close. Dollar wise I set a goal to create a reliable 70 MPH Sport Boat with modern power and drives along with updated electronics and safety features for around $25k. I will be at 60% of that when I splash...including $4k for the new trailer. That leaves me roughly $10K in the budget to do the cabin, cockpit and eleectronics...with maybe enough to update the Isinglass, zippers and Sunbrella Bimini/Cockpit enclosure.

Donzi's and Formula's share a kindred heritage and I appreciate you guys letting me share this with you.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thread Information