Thread: Drive shower and prop slip

Drive shower and prop slip

I saw on another thread an issue of drive showers and prop slip. Can someone explain this to me? I dropped the 383 in my 18c and installed the drive shower on the alpha. Grizz set me up with a Rh 26p prop that was solid but I had a lot of slip.

The pick up is on the right side of the drive. Could this be the issue?
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

450rrrr Guest
    not a expert...really only know what ive been told ..but everyone has told me to put it on the left side of the drive as you face it.that is were i just installed mine. instructions provided in the package also stated same

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

If the shower is the open style and does not have a cap over the top of the drive then it may be venting air to the prop to cause slippage..

are their vent holes in the prop??if their is try plugging the vent holes..

The pickup is more than 2' away from the prop, and the shower pickup is behind the prop.
    You have a prop issue, try what Mike suggested.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Fix is right some slippage would be possible but only be at low speed, once underway it is being force fed by the prop and forward motion of the boat. Look at all the dual tube ones that hundreds of guys have been running for years with not complaint, the only reason to position the pickup one side or the other is to take advantage of the flow off the blade tips for maximum cooling effect. I have wondered just how much difference that makes once you are at higher speeds! Think for a moment how is it possible for any thing behind the prop to cause anything more than drag at speed, nothing can flow backwards against the water flow standard physics of hydrodynamics!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

When you say slip do you mean that you are running high rpm.I put in a 383 last summer and i had a 23p it ran over6000 so i put a25 labbed plus and brought it down to 5800.had the same set up alpha drive 1:50 ratio and drive shower.I'm no pro but i think the 383 like the higher rpm do to the torque they have.i was going to go to a27p but am putting on a blackhawk drive instead.

Cool

A BH set at the correct X along with a 383 should turn some high numbers, high 80's maybe a tad more spinning some 31's.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

i will be starting the install in a few days.will have lots of Q to ask,will take picks along the way.I'm not going to raise the x for now and will be spinning 27 that's all i could find for now.

Thread Information