Thread: Insolent Minx - 28 Pantera

Insolent Minx - 28 Pantera

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
    I did purchase a 28 Pantera to play in the bigger Bay water where I live, and I have been challenged with some Bad Karma when it comes to Boats since May 2009. (2 Engines went down) The Pantera now has a New 700HP 572 and it runs strong.
    Doc of the Bay

Hi Dan,
    The Pantera sounds awesome. Would you mind telling about the drive, prop, and speed? Curious mine here - Bill

Conquistador del mar - Bill -asked me to Post some info on the Pantera.

So here goes, Drive is an 1.50 XR, I have several props, it came with a labbed Bravo 26, I prefer the 26 Hydro Quad IV, it has more grab and blistering torque, the Bravo tends to lift the bow, the Hydros keep the bow planted and it will run flat and true, very similar to the 22 Classic in rough water.

Speed is relative, so with the original 540 it would run 80 to 82 mph with light fuel and since the rebuild its making on average 100 ft-lbs of torque for the same old rpm range.

We don't have it 100% dialed in yet on props, but running a 27 Quad IV at 5100 rpms it will run 82mph, the Rev Limiter is set at 6000rpm and the Builder said you can prop it for 5700 rpms. I did run a labbed 28 Bravo briefly and I am sure that will be the faster prop...conditions only allowed us to go 84 mph that day...and there was more left at 5150rpms.

It's now a 700 with 716 ft-lbs of Torque -the Motor is Custom Built by Jack Boyd of Boyd Motorworks, he is in upstate New York. The Motor has 315 AFR Heads, which have been fully ported and polished, it has a 1050 Demon Carb -that has been completely reworked for maximum performance on a dyno.

The motor has CMI Long tube headers, similar to what is on 525's, on this last rebuild, we replaced the 10 Quart Canton Oil Pan - with a KE Aluminum Molded Pan.

The Boat is rock solid in all water, it can literally go 75 mph over serious water, unfortunately the XR Drive will need to be replaced - It is the weak link in the current set up. On the wish list is an SCX IMCO - but hoping to hold off for a season or two.

All of the above being said, I have had to learn to adjust to driving the bigger hull, its so different from the 22 Classic Donzi, although that is all I have ever had to compare it to. The Donzi is so much more of an active driving experience.

The Boat came on an Aluminum MYCO Trailer - torsion with Disc Brakes - I had a Custom Sunbrella Supreme Cover made by Future Line in Exton, Pa owned by Mark Spiro.

They will be doing the work on the Donzi also. They work on Chip Foose autos and have a very established clientele. And he is more than reasonable.

The Swim Platform and the Padded Engine Hatch have to be one of the best amenities a larger hull has to offer.

We can comfortably fit 6 Adults without being cramped. As a large single engine boat, its less manueverable when docking, it takes some throttle to get it to respond, especially at the docks and in the wind.

I have learned some tricks to compensate for the lack of twins...its all seat time.

Love the boat, are there better built - better finished - I am sure that is all subjective to a number of characteristics and qualities one is looking for.

The structure of it is rock solid, the finer points will be tweaked in time.

For now it gets me running safer in big water, and its what I wanted as an alternate from the 22 Classic.

Thats It in a Big Nutshell?

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Doc,

Glad Bill coaxed you to post up........That's a very serious boat!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Dan,
    Thanks so much for the information. Do you have the sweptback, newer design XR drive that is apparently going out on you? If so, I am disappointed to hear this. I agree the IMCO SCX is a great heavy duty drive from the information I have gathered, so it would be a logical replacement. It sounds like you will easily be in the 85MPH range with the right prop - fairly awesome with a single engine in that large a boat. I also want to thank you for the pictures - what a great looking crew you have there - Bill

PS Have you looked into the Hydromotive Quad IV-X?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Dan, I like it!!!!!!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Looks like what I need for the Great Lakes. I would enjoy having a real cabin too since I like overnighting on the boat. There are so many cool destinations on the big lakes. Anyway, good to hear that you are doing well Dan. Now get the Donzi running, Todd is waiting.....
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

real nice lookin boat Dr Dan, are thoes pic in salt water? kinda looks like it, i'm prob wrong
    FISH HARD

very nice looking pantara love the colors great graphics
    what year is it? would love to see some pictures of cabin

Doc,

Haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope you are well. Your Pantera is really great looking and I love the sound of the drive package. I seriously thought about a 28 before I decided on the Magnum. You should check out the resto thread on it. Let me know if you ever come up to City Island this spring/ summer.

Best,
    Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DAULEY View Post
    very nice looking pantara love the colors great graphics
    what year is it? would love to see some pictures of cabin
    Northern Chesapeake Bay, some fresh watershed, some brakish, salt further south.

It's a 2007 Hull - with a 2011 Motor! I will have to dig up some Cabin pics, pretty basic layout, no sink, 2 Benches, and pretty good size
    V-Birth.

Danny

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Doc,

Haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope you are well. Your Pantera is really great looking and I love the sound of the drive package. I seriously thought about a 28 before I decided on the Magnum. You should check out the resto thread on it. Let me know if you ever come up to City Island this spring/ summer.

Best,
    Marshall

Wow I love those boats Marshall, really looks great...I will give you a shout soon and we can catch up. Can't wait to see it finished, gotta love the lines. Awesome project....very very cool.

I will be up in Mt. Kisco in the next 45 days or so...not sure how close that is to you. I will be taking the Donzi hull up to get rigged and the new "Stock Power" installed.

Danny

Thread Information