Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Price for paint job

Price for paint job

Just got a quote to paint some of my boat and it seems high. Looking for some others that have had similar jobs done and HOW MUCH?

Here's the job I want: Paint both sides of the boat. Not the bottom, not the deck. Paint a single stripe down the bow. Using PPG paint (which is pretty cheap) The boat is similar to a 22 classic just a little bigger 24 feet and a few more inches freeboard. The hull is flawless and needs no prep other than a good cleaning and sanding. Color orange.

Quoted: 2200 (I just had my house painted for 1500)

FT, you are saying from the rub rail to the waterline chine, correct? What about the transom and also is your repaint the same color as the original color? It's all in the preperation as you know.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

reasonable

sounds fair to me

$3000
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Sounds more than fair to me; I wouldn't be surprised to hear twice that out here.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Prep is a lot of work.
    Of course, if you want to do the prep yourself, maybe he'll cut you a deal.......
    Keep track of your hours.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Using an automotive paint vs house paint . . a gallon of PPG orange will run close to $550.00 retail, add in the other supplies and labor . . .

the car on this link: http://www.m2bmw.com/roy-wicklund.htm
    was done in my shop, our cost for the BMW Inca base coat orange was over $800.00 per gallon.

Pure primary colors will cost lots more, red yellow and blue. Orange is part of two . . reds and yellows cost more.

Mario L.

Im a painter for a living. You cant compair rolling walls in your home and painting your boat... come on geeze.
    As others have said it all in the prep and the know how to give you a great job.
    I wouldnt touch it for less than $3000.
    Not only is the paint high, Solvents, Clear, Hardner ect. I would honestly be worried if someone said they would do it for $1500. you know you get what you pay for.
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Using an automotive paint vs house paint . . a gallon of PPG orange will run close to $550.00 retail, add in the other supplies and labor . . .

the car on this link: http://www.m2bmw.com/roy-wicklund.htm
    was done in my shop, our cost for the BMW Inca base coat orange was over $800.00 per gallon.

Pure primary colors will cost lots more, red yellow and blue. Orange is part of two . . reds and yellows cost more.

Mario L.
    I agree, the gel color matched paint I used on the TR was nearly $600.00/gallon plus about $80.00 for a pint of hardener, and $40.00 for a quart of reducer.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyc View Post
    Im a painter for a living. You cant compair rolling walls in your home and painting your boat... come on geeze.
    As others have said it all in the prep and the know how to give you a great job.
    I wouldnt touch it for less than $3000.
    Not only is the paint high, Solvents, Clear, Hardner ect. I would honestly be worried if someone said they would do it for $1500. you know you get what you pay for.
    I agree 100 % paint , solvents , clear , maybe primmer , sand paper , tape ,mask off , re sand, along with the pads for buffing ,and the compounds , it takes for polishing , and getting the boat to a nice glossy finish ext ext . Hey guy , not to be rude but how can you compare something that was most likely done with a (Paint) like Sears weather beater to (PPG) which is an Automotive paint that will give you a high gloss finish after all is said and done .

Hey guys , just curious how much is Flip Flop going for these days ?

I was quoted $3000 to paint the boot stripe, center strip and Donzi logo on the engine hatch, so I'd be happy with your quote.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

wow

looks like prices for paint and paintjobs are pretty high in the US. A gallon of white basecoat is about 150$ incl. all thinner, hardener and a price for a gallon of good clearcoat with hardener and thinner is about 200$ in germany. This is standard carpaint (Sikkens, Mipa or Glasurit), no awlgrip or imron.
    Here in germany at a friends paintshop you could get both sides painted with a stripe and all preparation (no cracks, no glasswork needs to be done) for about 1000$, but that won't help you- just for the info.

But you guys have cheap fuel, so don't cry about expansive paint

...that BMW 02 is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Hey guys , just curious how much is Flip Flop going for these days ?
    House of Kolor still makes it I believe. Last I remember it was well over $250qt
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Quote Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
    looks like prices for paint and paintjobs are pretty high in the US. A gallon of white basecoat is about 150$ incl. all thinner, hardener and a price for a gallon of good clearcoat with hardener and thinner is about 200$ in germany. This is standard carpaint (Sikkens, Mipa or Glasurit), no awlgrip or imron.
    Here in germany at a friends paintshop you could get both sides painted with a stripe and all preparation (no cracks, no glasswork needs to be done) for about 1000$, but that won't help you- just for the info.

But you guys have cheap gasoline, so don't cry about expansive paint

...that BMW 02 is awesome!!
    Axel, it may be similar here, for instance, black is only half the price of red that I quoted above. Whites would be even less, I think.
    Reds are incredibly expensive. The red pigments seem to be priced like gold.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information