Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: alpha power limit

alpha power limit

Can anyone give a bit of advise on the amount of h.p an Alpha can take? I am thinking about a 425 h.p carb motor. I amd a very gentle driver off the line but I do like running flat out every now and then.. I have an 86' 22C
    Thanks,
    Dave

My experience is limited here but I don't think it will last long.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by daved View Post
    Can anyone give a bit of advise on the amount of h.p an Alpha can take? I am thinking about a 425 h.p carb motor. I amd a very gentle driver off the line but I do like running flat out every now and then.. I have an 86' 22C
    Thanks,
    Dave
    I was told by Mercury that the HP rating for the alpha one's is 305hp i have a bone stock 22zx with a 350 mercury mag rated at 300hp and i have broke a few of them.But i don't baby it.I don't think it will last very long at all with 425hp in front of it.

My SB 406 in a 16' popped a couple of Alphas. Never dynoed the engine but I'm guessing about 400H.P. I never did hard accelerations, just W.O throttle occasionally.
    "1978" F-22; Turbo'd & Intercooled.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Merc use to put a big block in front of them,i have a friend that has a 1987 baja 235 dvx with a Big Block and a alpha,it lasted for years but the drive had 1.36 gears in it..TMDOG is running a 383 with close to 500 hp through his SS drive,,as long as your easy on it and use redline shock proof gear oil it should last..

Supercharged 383, over 500 ib-ft of torque from 2500 to 5800 on the dyno, classic 18. Have run it over 4 years with no breakage but some wear at the pins. Don't hammer it out of the hole or when it's out of the water. Frequent spells at WOT. Saying this is probably the kiss of death!

I have an all original 1987 454/Alpha 1 combo. 200+ hours, no problems yet. I replaced the gimble bearing for fun, and the u-joints were in great shape.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Supercharged 383, over 500 ib-ft of torque from 2500 to 5800 on the dyno, classic 18. Have run it over 4 years with no breakage but some wear at the pins. Don't hammer it out of the hole or when it's out of the water. Frequent spells at WOT. Saying this is probably the kiss of death!
    What speeds you seeing with that set-up? You running 3 or 4 bladded props on the Alpha?
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Thanks for all of the info. I need to think about it before I place the order but I am leaning in the direction of making the switch.
    Thanks,
    Dave

make the switch dave or start buying spare alpha drives now
    FISH HARD

3 blade props, lower pitch, higher end of rpm range, will help. Take it easy. Small block 425hp is easier on drive than big block 425hp.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Just my 2 cents,, Back in 1989 to 1991 my friend raced this APBA A class Magnum copy [@ 5500 lbs] with twin 450hp 350 chevys & Alpha drives. This boat won 28 races, one over all National high point winner,, and one National championship with only breaking one Alpha drive vertical shaft. And anyone who knew Ken,, knew he didnt do much mantinace other than oil changes on his drives. I believe back then Merc also put the 454 330hp & the 350 320hp EFI with the Alpa drive.

I also have a 22C it was originally a Tempest 300 w/Alpha some say 300 at the prop don't know for sure, it now has a 383 with a Bravo a mistake I have regretted ever since. For what it cost me to convert from the Alpha to the Bravo I could have easily replaced the Alpha four times with brand new SEI drives which carry a 3 year warranty!, not only that the bravo will cost you 3 MPH having a bigger case profile. Most people ruin their Alphas by hammering them out of the hole and soft shifting them. They like to be slammed into gear, soft shifting rounds the clutch dogs causing them to pop out of gear at speed!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Hey guys i have been trying to post this from the start with bad luck which never seems to come up ,and this site is ................ http://www.rlcboats.com/ .....or www.rlcboats.com that advertise a 650 hp Alpha drive rebuild . Hey guy's i am only posting this for $hit's and giggles and welcome your replies .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Hey guys i have been trying to post this from the start with bad luck which never seems to come up ,and this site is ................ http://www.rlcboats.com/ .....or www.rlcboats.com that advertise a 650 hp Alpha drive rebuild . Hey guy's i am only posting this for $hit's and giggles and welcome your replies .
    The whole spiel is here some us have followed this guy off and on for a couple of years.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64346
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information