Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wax the Bottom?

Wax the Bottom?

Hey guys

I was wondering if I should wax the bottom of my Z33 ? There is no bottom paint on it right now, but it will spend the summer moored in a saltwater slip. I will use it every other day at least and I have a great spot to take her to scrub the bottom myself (underwater). I was wondering if there is a good product to do the bottom with that may help with speed and prevent growth, r at least makes it easier to scrub growth off.

I would consider bottom paint if I can get some in white that won't kill my speed.

Thanks
    Mark

Waxing the bottom won't make you go any faster, may even slow you down a bit. Clean the bottom with something like Amazing Roll-off. Spray on, light brush, rinse off. Helps retard future growth.

Just noticed you said you will leave it in salt. Consider bottom paint and make sure your zincs are in order.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I'd wax it just to minimize the slow accumulation of brown haze in the gel on the bottom, and to make it easy to keep the waterline clean as well. FAR less Fiberglass Stain Remover after the season if you do.

Whatever difference in speed (faster or slower) occurs seems COMPLETELY unmeasurable in my experience, but that's only up to 55MPH. Things are more sensitive as speeds increase.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Is there a lot of growth in that cold water?
    I would imagine it would be less than our 85* water.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Smooth surfaces are slower! A smooth surface creates a stiction layer, look at a golf ball the early smooth ones flew about 30% less distance then the ones of today. Stars and Strips Americas cup boat that sailed in Australia picked up 2/10the of a knot applying Boeing rivulets to the bottom. Roll Off (mentioned above)trailer bunk spray may very well do the job, it leaves a slightly rough surface and has Teflon which should help to keep it clean.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Hey guy in fact you will gain speed by sanding the bottom . I gotta say that when i worked at Skater there were a whole lot of old school racers that wanted Teflon on the bottom of there boats which really was a waste of Money, and when ever i did the blueprinting of Sailboats we sprayed a white primer made in Europe finished of in #1000 grit or what ever the customer wanted .

The last third of my trailer queen was sanded with #220, I knew of sanding from years of sail boat racing.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The last third of my trailer queen was sanded with #220, I knew of sanding from years of sail boat racing.
    I , have done the same which as alway's has been the customer's option on what grit he wants the hull left in ........because Sailor's (Sail - Boaters ) can be a very rare breed . Just my 2 Cent's

Back in the day Scatt was a favorite product of Magnum owners here on Lake St Clair. They say it makes your boat faster and cuts down on marine growth in fresh water.... h2o Mark
    http://www.boatersland.com/scatt.html

Scatt

Scatt bottom treatment is still available at Mikes Marine Supply - EPA seems to be after it though. Have seen it seriously retard bottom growth on boats left in fresh water Lake St. Clair canal system. Not sure what effect it has on speed - local marinas will not do rack storage to Scatt treated boats as they fall off the fork lift truck too easily. I did Google it and find it but since I do rack storage of the Donzi decided to pass on testing it.
    Dr. d

There did used to be an antifouling wax that one of my vendors used to offer. It just gave a satin looking finish to the bottom of the boat I tried it on. The nice thing was it was removable, unlike paint. It helped to retard marine growth if you left it in and it you could just wipe it with a brush while swimming around it and clean off the bottom quite easily.. Unfortunately I have not seen it available for a few years now.

However there is an antifouling boat paint that is made in white. It is a vivid white and it has a eggshell/satin semi gloss like appearance when it is applied and dries. It looks rather nice for bottom paint. We have been using it for years with great success on bottom painted hulls. If that would interest you feel free to give me a shout.. Jamie / Lakeside

Interlux makes a paint with teflon. It did not impact the speed of my boat (at the time) at all.

I am with Ghost. No big differences at 55. You can wet sand or do whatever. I could see a slight benefit on displacement hulls or really fast stuff.

I would dig around to see if you could find that stuff that Jamie was mentioning.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I know it's colder water than we have here in SF bay, but there's NO WAY I'd leave a boat in a slip all summer without bottom paint. Even if you're using it regularly, you're going to get growth.

But more important than growth, I'd worry about the drive. You'll be in a slip, which means other boats with unknown electrical conditions as well as possibly poor electrical on the docks. More times than I can remember I've seen drives eaten alive in less than a season by a hot (electrically) boat sitting a few slips down from them. And look as close as you want in the water, but you're going to have a hard time seeing the start of corrosion without pulling the boat out and washing the drive. Ask MOP - he's an old salt water guy with plenty of experience; I bet he's got plenty of horror stories of his own.

If you were on a mooring out by yourself I'd be much less worried about corrosion, though I'd still worry about growth.

Ideally, I'd try to find a hydro-hoist to keep her in. Scan craigslist or the local boating rags; I bet you can find a used 5000 lb lift pretty reasonably. They're easy to use and eliminate the growth/corrosion problems completely.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

No matter what the speed range is, when you break the stiction layer you reduce drag. True the end result is higher top end but also less power needed at all speeds.

Quote: Mr. Zel! We had a 440 cable laid 3 feet down running parallel to the docks, when they were laying I pitched a fit that it was not laid in screened sand. I am guessing 5-6 years later we had some serious burn starting, well who was going to dig nearly a 1000 feet of cable up! We ended up having to call in a company that used a machine called a "Thumper" all circuits were cut then they hooked up. By sending shocks through the cable and then using a gizzy like a metal detector found the break, turned out one small sharp stone damaged the cable. That was about 5 years before they redid the whole thing with shielding and sand. Seems like most all marinas bury their power cables, many of which have or will go through what we did. Ok the after rant! We ended up replacing a lot of gear cases, props and much more. I found pinked rudders, shafts and hull fittings for many years after.

Thread Information