Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trim tabs

Question trim tabs

Anybody got experience with Eddie Marine K plane style tabs. They seem reasonable.

My cousin has a pair on his 22 Classic,been on for about a year with no problems.They are the 12x17's I think,very responsive.

Yes, I too have experience with their products.. Nice units and a good bang for the buck in comparison to the Merc K planes. We sell and install a good amount of EMI stuff. We also offer some others that make larger units too like the Dana version and Lenco versions. Again also nice alternatives to the Merc K planes.. Jamie / Lakeisde

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkey83 View Post
    My cousin has a pair on his 22 Classic,been on for about a year with no problems.They are the 12x17's I think,very responsive.
    Alistair, Is that Lonnie's boat? I remember he ordered some pretty cool stuff from us a while back.. J

Yea Jaime,that's on Lonnie's.We just put a 350 verado on it,don't know if I told you.She really wants to hit the 80 mark,but we haven't got the "magic" prop yet.So far,76.5 gps 23p mirage.

Compared to the cost of K-planes they definitely look like a good deal. I also can't see any real differences between the EMI's and Dana's which are a bit more money.
    Although I can't give you any feedback on them, I do have a set on order myself. I should have them in a couple weeks. If you're in no rush, wait till the spring and I can let you know how I like them.

I can tell you that the company itself is horrible when it comes to customer service. Twice I contacted them to get information on the tabs without a response. I'm hoping the tabs are trouble free, because I am expecting EMI will be difficult do deal with if I need help.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

yeller, are these the Eddie's you went with?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Yes, those are the ones.

Ralph,

Brian has put these on a few Donzis here in Michigan and they look like a pretty good set-up. One caveat, after running Hotshot's 22 with them, we did flip the plates over, as they do tend to drag and scrub speed. Flip them, and they ride just a bit higher on the transom, which solves the problem. I think the last set he installed, EMI made the alteration before shipping them. I really like the silver finish. If I ever get around to replacing my Bennetts, which is a low priority because I don't use them, this is what I will use. Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    One caveat, after running Hotshot's 22 with them, we did flip the plates over, as they do tend to drag and scrub speed. Flip them, and they ride just a bit higher on the transom, which solves the problem.
    RT, what am I missing here? Flip the plates? What I'm envisioning would be functionally impossible. I'm picturing the actual tab being flipped. What part are you talking about when you say "plate"?

Also, if the desired result is to have the tab higher, shouldn't they just be installed higher?

Based on your experience with Hotshot, how high up from the bottom of the transom do you recommend these tabs be installed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    RT, what am I missing here? Flip the plates? What I'm envisioning would be functionally impossible. I'm picturing the actual tab being flipped. What part are you talking about when you say "plate"?
    Also, if the desired result is to have the tab higher, shouldn't they just be installed higher?
    Based on your experience with Hotshot, how high up from the bottom of the transom do you recommend these tabs be installed?
    Thanks
    Yeller,

When I talk about the plate, I am talking about the running surface of the tab.

The plates I have seen have the mounting point for the rams screwed in. So, you would take it off, flip it over and swap to the other side, as the opposing sides of the plate are slightly different on the two sets I have seen, with the inner edge being slightly indented.

The tabs were mounted at the EMI recommended height. Can't tell you exactly what it is, because it wasn't my boat, but they looked like the standard k-plane position to me. The higher you put these on the transom, the longer you are going to wait for them to tap the water, as it is a trade-off.

Without me double checking my install notes on tabs I think usually the recommended install height it 3/8" to 1/2" up from the bottom of the boat. They should never be mounted flush with the bottom if at all possible as they can then scrub the speed more easily & without need, however mounting them too high is not good either.. Jamie / Lakeside

He could also look to do a pair of mini K-planes..........
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thanks RT. I guess I did understand you correctly, except I thought the ram supports on the plates was machined as one unit (supports and plate). I didn't realize the supports were bolted to the plate.

Thread Information