Thread: drive shower question

450rrrr Guest

drive shower question

i have a 08 zr27 with a bravo x finned top out drive.it has a zieger dual ram hydro steering system.

do i need to go with a cap type drive shower.and if yes has anyone had any experience with a dual line vresions

or can i go with the tube type that wraps around the out drive..or will i have clearance issues with the rams..im thinking i might

any input would be great

thanks

I had clearance issues with my tube type pickup interfering with the zeiger stuff,luckily I had access to a welder,which you may not.What I had to do for my particular setup was add an inch of tubing to the pickup mounted on the drive fin.That gave me some freedom with the braided hose.Don't know if yours is set up the same as mine though...

On my bravo one drive i have a drive shower which is cap style....i never had any issues, the only issue i had with the dual is when i was getting on plain i was having some slip....this is cause of the right hand rotation of the prop.... in fact, a single tube shower must be mounted on the left hand side of the drive....when i tried mounting the shower tube on the right hand side of the drive, same issue again, lots of prop slip again....dont know the reason why.

I had bought my drive shower from dana marine....it with the cap and the good thing about it is that when the water flows into the cap it sprays the water equally and constantly....not like other drive showers, at least this is how they promote it.

hope this input helps......

Quote Originally Posted by DonZi 26 View Post
    On my bravo one drive i have a drive shower which is cap style....i never had any issues, the only issue i had with the dual is when i was getting on plain i was having some slip....this is cause of the right hand rotation of the prop.... in fact, a single tube shower must be mounted on the left hand side of the drive....when i tried mounting the shower tube on the right hand side of the drive, same issue again, lots of prop slip again....dont know the reason why.
    I had bought my drive shower from dana marine....it with the cap and the good thing about it is that when the water flows into the cap it sprays the water equally and constantly....not like other drive showers, at least this is how they promote it.
    hope this input helps......
    Sometimes you can eliminate the slip by milling down the pickup on the drive shower. I have done this twice.

I use a billet top cap with an integrated shower. I have no idea if it would work on the new style XR's.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I haven't tried that to be honest.....im gonna try it the first time i put the boat down in the water....

If the unit is like this most common units will interfere and some can & some cant be modified to work.

There are some units I offer that can sometimes be adapted to work and others that I can set up custom for you. Usually the hose sometimes needs to be longer and the mounting on some I offer are different as well. If you want to call me during the daytime I can try to assist you further. I offer several different varieties..

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

drive shower

Interesting thread. thanks for opening the topic. I am curious as I did need a drive shower on my 95 Outlaw 502 as it constantly was running hot. I have not noticed the same on my '08 27'ZR though and I am running the boat in much warmer water (not that it ever mattered on the Outlaw). is this common on the ZR's even with the fins on the outdrive?

I have heard of some loss of speed but find it odd that anything placed behind the prop being able to cause slip, drag but slip just does not make any sense.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

450rrrr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rsg69cpa View Post
    Interesting thread. thanks for opening the topic. I am curious as I did need a drive shower on my 95 Outlaw 502 as it constantly was running hot. I have not noticed the same on my '08 27'ZR though and I am running the boat in much warmer water (not that it ever mattered on the Outlaw). is this common on the ZR's even with the fins on the outdrive?
    to be honest i just got the boat at thanksgiving.and have only had it out twice..but like you said..my last boat was also a outlaw..and well i figured its cheap enough to install..better safe..i have been doing up grades all winter.i figured whats one more...never heard about this slipping issue though.
    im running in the warm waters of florida..in the summer the water can hit 90+

thanks for the advice jamie will try to contact next week and see what you recommend

and thank you everyone else for you input

Thread Information