Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thru-hull hole/ port side/ '99 26ZX

Thru-hull hole/ port side/ '99 26ZX

Good Day and greetings to all who may read this,
    I am new to the registry and would like to express my appreciation for the wealth of knowledge and experience shared here. Thank you.
    I recently purchased an '88 Z21, only to come to two conclusions:
    1. I'm hooked, and ...
    2. I need a bigger Donzi, which immediately lead me to a 26ZX.
    My inquiry involves a small thru-hull, chrome-dressed, on the port side of the hull(bow), near water-level. I have no manual for the boat describing this, and it pours water out while on the trailer; obviously indicating its taking on water while at rest in the water or under way.
    Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to be part of the bilge system, which seems to operate fine, via the thru-hull at the starboard stern.
    Any information on what this may be for, and the proper operation would give me a little more peace of mind next time I'm out on the water. Thanks again. tb

Im thinking your Ice box (storage) has a drain .. check your compartments..

Have fun with your new toy!!
    Matt

1987 22 Classic
    502mpi B1XR

From what i've seen, the ice box is in the rear under the rear seat, and seems to drain into the bilge. And by the way, enjoy is not the right words. That baby rips through these waters. Louisiana Gulf Coast. Perfect for some fast shrimping!!

Just guessing...but maybe stepped hulls require an added pump to clear water that can't freely flow to bilge area?

I will look into that. thanks

I don't know that boat, but I'll take a guess...

Since you said it was at the bow, does the boat have an anchor locker? If so, they are usually drained overboard through a fitting similar to what you described. it could be collecting rain water if the gasket is in poor shape that you're then seeing run out.

Just a guess...
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

The anchor locker does indeed have two drains. They are located a bit higher and closer toward the point of bow. They are different, however, than the one scupper located on the outside of the hull near the passenger seat. From the amount of water that eventually drains from it after trailering, I am under the impression there must be some sort of hose that has come disconnected or deteriorated. This past weekend I also noticed a considerable difference in the rate at which the bilge was filling when we were at anchor. The pump was still capable of handling the amount of water, but it sure looked suspect to me that it would fill again within an hour or so.

It is the front bilge pump. Sometimes you can see it kick on when you are running down the road.

The front cooler/glove box drains into it. I also think that you can get some water in via the anchor box (should not, but that outside drain gets clogged) and through the cockpit if you leave it out.

It is not really a big deal. Every now and then I will stick a wet/dry vac down the front inspection plate (below the front step) and vac the excess water.

The 26ZX is a lot of fun.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I know I have a hose that drains from my sink out to the water line (port side), but also have another drain for the front bilge. I've never seen mine kick on though and have no water up front. hope it stays that way!
    2002 28ZX

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    I know I have a hose that drains from my sink out to the water line (port side), but also have another drain for the front bilge. I've never seen mine kick on though and have no water up front. hope it stays that way!
    My 27ZX had the more through hulls. The 26ZX could use more. It has too much stuff draining in the bilge. I may take care of that. At least for the cooler!

I also have another question about the 26ZX's........the drains in the cockpit area that are located in the corners under the rear bench, if water is spread out in the cockpit and goes through these drains, would this water end up in the bilge ?

This summer my boat was out in the water (covered) during a heavy rainfall, the following day i went on the boat and the bilge was full of water....switched on the bilge pump and pumped out all the water.....

however what i noticed is that when the bilge was free of all the water, on the STARBOARD side of the bilge there's like a bulk head or whatever you may call it, that had like a hole in it and water was constantly coming out of it and entering the bilge....i checked the PORT-SIDE bulkhead of the bilge and there are no holes.....so my assumption is that this hole is a drain for the water that would have entered the cockpit area also the ice-box beneath the rear bench.....water kept coming out of this hole for about a day, and then it stopped, but when the boat was running some water was still coming out due to the movement on the sea....

Has anyone ever noticed this or can confirm to me that the hole that i am referring to is indeed a the drain for the water that enters the cockpit area ???
    Hedgehog you're the master on this model....any clues ? lol

any help would be appreciated....

thanks

I have not noticed the one side of the bilge vs the other thing but will take a look.

Both of my drains run into the bilge. I am not a fan of that. My 27ZX also had through hulls for the cockpit drains.

I may get into the 26 this weekend to run a charger. If so, I will take a look

I understand that....so the drains that are located in the corners of the cockpit area, together with the drain in the ice box under the rear bench all lead to the bilge then right ??

thanks again...

I appreciate all the info. I will pull the front inspection plate to continue my investigation. Hedgehog........Is this bilge pump automatic? how can I inspect/ change it? will this be accessible though the front inspection plate?
    Thanks again...t

26ZX Water

I have a 2000 26ZX and have delt with many of these issues so I will try to explain. I hope I can explain it so everyone understands it.

Storage Anchor: I had a problem with this leaking and it ends up collecting in the storage comparment in the nose of the Cabin. What had happened is when the factory drilled the drain they had partially drilled through the floor of the storage anchor the water would drain down and flow into the inside comparment. I took some type of Marine calk and put it down the drain hole from within the Anchor locker and then used a pencil to pen back up the hole.

Forware Bilge Area: I still get water in there and from what I can see I get it from where my faring/Windshield meets the boat I seem to get water in there and then it drains down to the front bilge. I have a full cover and tried calking it better which seemed to help. If you pull that little port access off you can reach in and find the bilge and yes it pumps to the fitting your talking about at the water line. I only use the front cooler as a glove box but it does drain into the front bilge. When I put a way for the winter I use a sponge to get the extra water out since the bilge is on a little platform. I did replace mine and it was a atwood. Most times my carpet is slightly wet
    when ever I have water in the front bilge, when I first got the boat I almost brought it in for a warranty repair but its not a easy thing to replicate so I just dealt with it. I also had one screw missing for a cockpit snap and I replaced that as well since it seemed I would get water in the front bilge after washing it.

Rear Cooler: I use this for storage but from what I can see the rear cooler and the rear cockpit drains just go into the bilge which I believe flows back to the rear bilge by following allong the stringers, not totally sure but when ever I wash out the cockpit it doesn't fill up the front bilge.

I have never had any water coming out the drainage holes in either the cockpit floor or cooler so I'm not sure what that is.

Here is a pic of how much water I got in the front compartment, it was taken at time of inspection.

Good luck, Jim
    PS. We love the boat, I have triplets and we go out everyone weekend and sleep on the boat.

Thread Information