Thread: Another Prop Question

Another Prop Question

I hate to beat a dead horse but after the install of the 500 Efi in my 22c with blackhawk X dim I seem to be hitting the rev limiter before I reach from what i can tell "top speed" I am running a 27p 4 bladed Hydromotive. And input on prop size would be great. Thanks Blake Sullivan

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeSullivan View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse but after the install of the 500 Efi in my 22c with blackhawk X dim I seem to be hitting the rev limiter before I reach from what i can tell "top speed" I am running a 27p 4 bladed Hydromotive. And input on prop size would be great. Thanks Blake Sullivan
    ask carl,you are close to his set up,i think he is running a 30p labbed bravo one prop..From what i understand your boat may not like the hydro prop..

I agree time to try and go up a size or 2..

I am running a Raylar HO525 so probably close in HP with a stock X-dimension with a -2 imco. I spin a 27 Hydromotive Qiv to the stock limiter. I just bought a 28 as they make every inch in that prop but have not tried it yet. I couldn't decide between the 28 and the 29 but thought I would try the 28 first. I am currently running a labbed 29 mirage to about 5150 RPM. I like the way the four blades handle on my boat better, a little slower than the mirage but more stable. I prefered the Hydro over the Bravo 1, a little better handling and more speed for at the same RPM. Hopefully the 28 works well. Hope to try it soon!
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Titan what kind of performance gain did you see with the Raylar kit??? What did the shorty give you speed and handling wise? Very Curious....

Undertaker

PS Feel free to PM me your response dont wanna hijack this prop thread

Titan what kind of performance gain did you see with the Raylar kit??? What did the shorty give you speed and handling wise? Very Curious....
    Gained 2-3 mph with the shorty but made a huge difference on the way the boat handled. The Raylar kit with Dana exhaust got me another 10 -12 mph. I am still playing with props and have an air/fuel monitor to install yet as they set it up fairly rich to be on the safe side. Would be nice to know where I am running, transom is fairly black after an afternoon of running. Not sure I am on the right track with the hydro, worked well in the low 70's but might be too much stern lift now??? Time will tell.
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Gained 2-3 mph with the shorty but made a huge difference on the way the boat handled. The Raylar kit with Dana exhaust got me another 10 -12 mph. I am still playing with props and have an air/fuel monitor to install yet as they set it up fairly rich to be on the safe side. Would be nice to know where I am running, transom is fairly black after an afternoon of running. Not sure I am on the right track with the hydro, worked well in the low 70's but might be too much stern lift now??? Time will tell.

Titan sent you a PM......

Undertaker

Does anyone one have an extra 29 3 blade they would be willing to lend for testing I would of course be fully responsible for any damages. Thanks Blake Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    ask carl,you are close to his set up,i think he is running a 30p labbed bravo one prop..From what i understand your boat may not like the hydro prop..
    Thanks Fixx, yeah similar set-up but I'm not sure what is meant by "blackhawk X dim". Yes I am running a 30p Bravo one from BBlades. I am bumping the rev limiter on a good run which is where I've been told the power is. Keep in mind though that a 30p B1 is equal to about a 28 or 29p of most other make props. Blake, is your tach working. Any top speed info? The Hydromotive is a popular choice for our boats and you need more pitch. Rev limiter on the 525 is 5,400. I think the limiter is at 5,250 rpm on the 500 EFI. I would say going up one pitch number to a 28 would get the job done?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Thanks Fixx, yeah similar set-up but I'm not sure what is meant by "blackhawk X dim". Yes I am running a 30p Bravo one from BBlades. I am bumping the rev limiter on a good run which is where I've been told the power is. Keep in mind though that a 30p B1 is equal to about a 28 or 29p of most other make props. Blake, is your tach working. Any top speed info? The Hydromotive is a popular choice for our boats and you need more pitch. Rev limiter on the 525 is 5,400. I think the limiter is at 5,250 rpm on the 500 EFI. I would say going up one pitch number to a 28 would get the job done?
    Thanks for the Input Carl , my boat came from donzi with the Blackhawk drive so my x dim is higher than a standard 22 which was super costly when it came to having my header's made but my tach is working and for top speed info the gps speedo stops at 80, I should have got the one that goes higher but hey live you learn but a do really enjoy the hydromotive its a great prop very stable but I do believe on size would make a differnece.

Thanks for the Input Carl , my boat came from donzi with the Blackhawk drive so my x dim is higher than a standard 22 which was super costly when it came to having my header's made but my tach is working and for top speed info the gps speedo stops at 80, I should have got the one that goes higher but hey live you learn but a do really enjoy the hydromotive its a great prop very stable but I do believe on size would make a differnece.
    80 is pretty good. I think going up one pitch number will get you where you want. If you are only hitting the limiter in ideal conditions I'd leave it alone. I'm at 83. 85-86 in ideal conditions.

Carl, Thanks for all the help I came across a Buddy who has a 30p Bravo along with a 28p Hyrdomotive so that works out great, but you know it all ways the same old story just want a little faster, I guess there is no such thing as fast enough. I was going to put a 2 inch shortie on my boat but I was informed it would never get on plane so I am very weary to buy one .

Carl, Thanks for all the help I came across a Buddy who has a 30p Bravo along with a 28p Hyrdomotive so that works out great, but you know it all ways the same old story just want a little faster, I guess there is no such thing as fast enough. I was going to put a 2 inch shortie on my boat but I was informed it would never get on plane so I am very weary to buy one .
    Wow, lucky you. Those are two props that may be just right for your boat. I'd like to know the outcome even though I guess it will be awhile.

Ha, I tend to be a little nutty so I will let you know next week.

Sounds good but don't overprop it for cold weather performance! You should be bumping the limiter in perfect conditions IMO. Keep in mind that I am not the prop guru or Donzi expert. I just try to pass on what I have learned from experience and from participating in these forums for years. Good luck. Looking forward to the results. Maybe you can borrow a handheld gps. Get rpm #s too!

Thread Information