Thread: Vacuum bagging

Vacuum bagging

I found this and thought I'd post it to show how easy vacuum bagging can be.....
    This is a very simple setup.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

it looks like the hole cow,,, not steaks and chops,,,,,,,
    FISH HARD

Ok so are you going to vacuum bag something? I mean from these pics it almost looks easy. With your skills it may even be fun (if we can say that about glass work).

I bet I could screw it up and end up getting epoxied to the bag.

On a serious note, can it be used on non vacuum bagged stuff to make a repair stronger?
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Ok so are you going to vacuum bag something? I mean from these pics it almost looks easy. With your skills it may even be fun (if we can say that about glass work).

I bet I could screw it up and end up getting epoxied to the bag.

On a serious note, can it be used on non vacuum bagged stuff to make a repair stronger?
    Hey guy , quit throwing yourself under the bus and yes Vacume bagging can be used on any surface that was never bagged and if i can do it so can you . Hey guy one of the simplest vacume bagging kits out there is offered by west system which is a very simple venturi generator that is designed to run off of conventional shop Air Compressors and West system offers a Vacum Bagging Techniques Manual that is very helpful for only $4.95 which is only 52 page's .Hey guys ,the boat that George shows in his pic ............. Kinda looks like a wooden boat that is made from Veneer or in the early build stages .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Hey guy , quit throwing yourself under the bus and yes Vacume bagging can be used on any surface that was never bagged and if i can do it so can you . Hey guy one of the simplest vacume bagging kits out there is offered by west system which is a very simple venturi generator that is designed to run off of conventional shop Air Compressors and West system offers a Vacum Bagging Techniques Manual that is very helpful for only $4.95 which is only 52 page's .Hey guys ,the boat that George shows in his pic .............it looks like a wooden boat that is made from Veneer .
    Awesome.

I have done a little light glass work and it comes out ok in the end. Does not look like anything that George here does.

My gel work on the other hand. It starts out looking like someone took some bad acid and got out a putty knife. After lots of sanding, not so bad though.

Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Awesome.

I have done a little light glass work and it comes out ok in the end. Does not look like anything that George here does.

My gel work on the other hand. It starts out looking like someone took some bad acid and got out a putty knife. After lots of sanding, not so bad though.

Good info.
    Hey guy , just curious are you spraying your jell on, and if so what type of gun are you using and the size of the tip?

Yes, it's a WEST system 20' sail boat hull I found on the Herreshoff Design Facebook page.
    There's a whole series of pics of this boat. Believe me, this is the easy part.
    But I thought it's a good illustration of the process.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

This deck that we recored with divinycel weighed 409lbs on my electronic 2000lb scale. Maybe we will bag the next one and shoot for a 100lb reduction?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    This deck that we recored with divinycel weighed 409lbs on my electronic 2000lb scale. Maybe we will bag the next one and shoot for a 100lb reduction?
    Greg , its worth a try ,and what do you got to loose .......................?

Hey guy , just curious are you spraying your jell on, and if so what type of gun are you using and the size of the tip?
    No, I have never done anything that involved. Just light patch work on nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Yes, it's a WEST system 20' sail boat hull I found on the Herreshoff Design Facebook page.
    There's a whole series of pics of this boat. Believe me, this is the easy part.
    But I thought it's a good illustration of the process.
    George , very cool & hopefully in the future , i will be able to do the same process on a # 1960 -16 foot, Century Resorter ....replacing the bottom and maybe down the pike do a Glen L Design, building there 18 foot Biscayne , which is a Mahogany run-a-bout , that is an old Chris design .

George , very cool & hopefully in the future , i will be able to do the same process on a # 1960 -16 footer Century Resorter ....replacing the bottom .
    Good luck w/it Artie!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Here's some more.....

This is the point where the vacuum bagging really starts to make sense. The WEST system uses very thin sheets of veneer that are epoxy saturated.....and saturation is the key and a minimum number of fasteners. Also subsequent layers of cloth, or stitched material.

Nice work, isn't it?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George , i really love it when a plan comes together . George , just curious when you bagged everything did you use a Venturi or a actual Vacume pump and what type of fastners did you use stainless , plastic or ...............

Artie, as I posted previously, this is from the Herrishoff Design Facebook page.
    But, the one bagging job I assisted w/was on an aircraft wing and we used a shop vec. It was more than sufficient. No fasteners were used as the wing skin was very carefully cut to fit piece of pre-preg and epoxy on foam core. I'll have to say it went very well and the wing was incredibly strong for what the components consisted of.

But I'm game.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information