Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ls3 project for 22 classic

New ls3 project for 22 classic

Currently I have a blackhawk drive being rebuilt to put on the 22.
    Also got the fuel injected version in. Its 480hp. I have already put on the nig mouth 92mm throttle body on it. By the time we add the FAST technologies
    fuel system/ignition and CMI headers, it should be around 520 hp with a redline of about 7000 RPMs. These engines are all aluminum and weight approximately half of what a big block weighs. I also believe that they are 40lbs less than a standard old school small block. Here are some preliminary photos. The Last photo is a mockup of the 626hp version of the one we built last year.

exhaust choice pic's?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Hi Jim.

My rep at CMI provided some large tube headers last year for our carbed monster motor. We then swapped to CMI small tube headers and on the Dyno run our torque numbers went up. Will be using the CMI small tube LS headers for this set up.
    We also have a closed cooling system that we designed for the system.
    The FAST system has 20 baseline programs. Using the programmer that is provided with the package, we can also make our own.

what is the exhaust center measurements of the outlets vs the BB outer centers?

IOW, it is a direct replacement for a BB or SB application, without changing the transom outlets?
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Blackhawk drive with an all aluminum motor. Should fly.
    Thats a nice setup !!!

Hemi heads???
    FISH HARD

Here is the GM write up on the engine

The hot new small block V8 in the GM lineup is the hyper-aggressive LS3. It offers a high-revving 376-inch combination that represents generations of small block V8 development and engineering. Not only is the LS3 an amazing engine in its stock configuration, but with those high-flowing rectangular port cylinder heads, the LS3 is loaded with potential. To tap into this potential, the engineers at GM Performance Parts offer you the LS 376/480 - an LS3 with an upgraded camshaft that ups power by a whopping 50 horsepower!

The LS 376/480 comes with the same great features as the LS3 crate engine. The bottom end includes a 6-bolt aluminum block, nodular crank, high performance rods, and 10.7:1 pistons. The heads are high-flowing rectangular-port units that share their design with the amazing LS7. The same EFI intake manifold feeds the hungry engine, while 1.7:1 roller rockers work with the upgraded camshaft.

The GM Performance Parts engineers picked the LS Hot Cam (p/n 12617570) to take the LS3 to the next level. This cam specs out with .525-inch intake and exhaust valve lift. Duration (@ .050 inches) is 219 degrees intake and 228 degrees exhaust. This cam allows for a dramatic increase in power across the power band while still maintaining good manners. The engine will idle and cruise just like an LS3, but the power increase is there whenever you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    what is the exhaust center measurements of the outlets vs the BB outer centers?

IOW, it is a direct replacement for a BB or SB application, without changing the transom outlets?
    ttt.........
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Could not tell you.... regarding the centers. I can call CMI and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    Hemi heads???
    No they aren't. They are the same heads used in the LS7 engine
    Last edited by harbormaster; 01-26-2011 at 03:24 PM.

what kind of electronics are needed n where r u getting them from is that a dry sump engine not sure which LS engines r

sorry pretty new 2 registry I am a auto tech with a 95 18cl n a 69 z28 that i was thinking about LS power

Ted, Using an MSD system. MSD water proofed a few for us.( we asked nicely)
    I believe the LS engines are the future of boating.

Will soon be shopping for a twin power package for my 27 Mag........was interested in the 383 Scorpian's.....what general comparison's could tilt toward the LS3 platform.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Would the LS engine have the same GM fuel injection system the cars have? all aluminium ,steel sleeves, less weight, sounds good, it should put out a few pony's
    FISH HARD

Thread Information