Thread: Oil Pans for offshore use

Oil Pans for offshore use

no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer to this . . . . .

I am restoring a Magnum 27 with twin 383 SBC engines . . these engines will be close to 500 HP each, and will see 6K rpm use . . .

Both will have oil coolers, remote filters . . and the boat will see offshore and rough water use . .

To that end I'm getting all sorts of suggestions on oil pans . .

Canton makes a bunch of SBC pans, all configurations . . their 8 Qt pan is a full length deep pan . .

There are various pans that have a deep rear sump, and T bottom pans as well.
    As the engines will see high rpms and rough water, I will use a scraper and a windage tray.

Do I use a large volume pan with a deep rear sump, or do I use a full length sump with a large volume ?
    The latter seems like oil can move forward on landings, regardless of baffling . .

My thinking is a deep rear sump and 6-7 qt capacity as the cooler, lines and remote filter will add 1-2 quarts capacity . . . for a total close to 9 qts . .

and there is plenty of space below the engines for a deep sump . . .

thoughts wanted!!!

Mario L.

That ought to do it.

I have a custom T pan with the trap doors and special windage tray on the ZX. My total capacity is around 15 quarts. If you are pushing 9-10 in a small block, that should do it.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

keep in mind the higher the rpm level the less oil in the pan at that level....

so pan *capacity* is your friend, first and foremost..

anything over and above that with lines, coolers and filters is a bonus
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

so rear sump . . . .vs . . . full length sump . . ?

http://marine-performance-parts.com/18100.aspx

or

http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...TITION_OIL_PAN

I just want to get this right the first time . . fortunately I have lots of space below the sumps and no bilge pump interference.

Mario

I have used several canton pans, and all their pans have traps in the sump allowing oil in to the pick up area but not out. Also i agree with the post above, the more capacity the better, as long as you have the clearance you need for a big pan!

A full length sump will reduce windage losses.
    Canton probably makes the best wet sump pan available.

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Mario, just make sure if you run a larger capacity pan you can bring the oil up to temp in a reasonable amount of time. If you can't, you know the drill, oil thermostats.

Ken

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

personally, i would run the kick out pan,reason that is the style i have been using for 10 yrs on my x..never had any op loss and it keeps more oil around the pick up tube..the full length ones are a pain to work around especially if you have offshore mounts..

Not sure what your dipstick requiremnts are .. some sbc are in the pan.. Canton would be my choice
    Matt

1987 22 Classic
    502mpi B1XR

Mario, I use a B&B road racing pan that has gates and baffles along with kicked out sides to keep the oil from running back up the walls. It came with a bolt on large tube pickup that has bracing welded on. It also has it's own dipstick and bungs for oil temp/low volume warning. A windage screen and scraper are installed on the pan. With the cooler and remote filter I carry 8/9 qts with none of it in the shallow part of the pan at rest.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

The kick-outs would be a priority as well.

Jeff

I forgot to mention any changing of a full size starter with my B&B pan is a nightmare of epic proportions.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

My engines are built with new DART blocks, and the dipstick location is different.

Interesting point on changing the starter, I need to consider that . . in the Magnum with twin engines, requires one to be a major contortionist . . not for my old body . . and plus Chevy really never did design a good mounting method for an item that is an essential service item . .

I'm leaning towards the full length pan for the reason Hall J mentioned, windage control . .I will be running an oil T-stat . IMO you can't run an oil cooler without it!

Engine efficiency is partially about thermal equalibrium . . I want my oil and coolant at the same temp . .

Looking at some pans this week, I ordered a couple and will return what I don't like.

Mario L.

Here is my old cast aluminum pan...kind of "old school" though. (sorry I couldn't shrink the size down enough)

Bob

Covington, Washington
    1966 Donzi 16' Hull #16-226

here are some short videos...

a little video clip of our boat idling over to the boat launch so you can hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/GSx8zAmi3R0

Eaton outdrive rotating 101
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaFB...yer_detailpage

thread on our boat
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61975

Video of the boat on the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qXz4CJS8U

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    My engines are built with new DART blocks, and the dipstick location is different.

Interesting point on changing the starter, I need to consider that . . in the Magnum with twin engines, requires one to be a major contortionist . . not for my old body . . and plus Chevy really never did design a good mounting method for an item that is an essential service item . .

I'm leaning towards the full length pan for the reason Hall J mentioned, windage control . .I will be running an oil T-stat . IMO you can't run an oil cooler without it!

Engine efficiency is partially about thermal equalibrium . . I want my oil and coolant at the same temp . .

Looking at some pans this week, I ordered a couple and will return what I don't like.

Mario L.
    Do your bellhousings have provisions to mount the starter?
    They will have to spin reverse of course.

If so, you could get a full length kick-out on your pan.

Jeff

Thread Information