Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wood Flooring on Fiberglass Question

Wood Flooring on Fiberglass Question

I don't have any experience with this stuff but it looks kind of interesting. Can anyone shed any light on what it is, how durable, install difficulty? Thanks in advance for any insights
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Greg, that looks really great and very traditional. Eventually the finish will fail, although it may take awhile. Maybe even longer than you own the boat.

Here's something a little different. I think it will last even longer, but what I like about it is it doesn't get hot on the feet, or you legs, etc.

http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1267
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I don't have any experience with this stuff but it looks kind of interesting. Can anyone shed any light on what it is, how durable, install difficulty? Thanks in advance for any insights
    SO: What is this "Stuff" we are talking about....? Can you be specific...? DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

I don't really know what is is, maybe a teak composite? It looks good and intrigues me.

George, that cork is interesting. I've seen it used with success in several NYC apartment projects.

Greg
    That stuff looks pretty sweet. I have been doing a ton of investigating of plastic wood for my Magnum as I will have a wood floor in it. I plan on getting a better idea what to do at the Miami Boat Show in Feb. Maybe these guys will have a rep there so I can compare If you find out anything good let me know

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Looks like Plas Teak. Good looking product. I think the new Chris craft boats now use it also.

http://plasteak.com/osc/index.php?cPath=1_30_75
    [url]

Smile

Quite a few of the yachts and some S/F used this company http://www.teakdeckcompany.com/products/index.htm You can send them a template they will make an exact fit. Another one that is making a nice product is http://www.nuteak.com/ requires little to no maintenance. I hope you guys use ones of these two I sorely miss cork in my wine bottles!!!!!!!!!!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

We've installed this on several of our larger yachts instead of traditional teak. It looks good, is available with black or white seams, offers very good non-slip properties, and is as close to 0 maintenance as anything on a boat. Installation is pretty simple - you make a paper template, send it to them, and they ship you the product in a roll that you just glue down. Think of it like installing a very thick vinyl floor.

http://www.flexiteek.com/

One problem with either this or regular teak though - you don't want to walk on it barefoot in the summer!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    One problem with either this or regular teak though - you don't want to walk on it barefoot in the summer!
    This is what's so great about the cork as it doesn't get hot, and has superior anti slip oroperties.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    This is what's so great about the cork as it doesn't get hot, and has superior anti slip oroperties.
    I'll have to take a look at some of the new cork products. The last time I looked at one was maybe 5 years ago at the Miami show and I found the surface to be too 'course' or 'grainy'. I don't recall what brand that was, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've made improvements since then.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were more cost effective than flexiteak. They don't exactly give that stuff away. Doing a small boat shouldn't be bad and would be easy to install yourself, but a large boat with professional installaion could easily run $50K+ But hey, that's a drop in the bucket when you're already spending $2M, right?
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Fake teak...

We have this on the swim deck and cockpit of the 370SS. It really gives the boat a nice look. Much better than expanses of carpet.

Parnell, I looked around last year at the 'Plas-Teak" vendors at Miami, because we had just bought the new boat, and were debating about this very topic. There are several different grades of the stuff for sure with the classic, you get what you pay for scenario in full force.

After one season, the stuff has its pluses and minuses. It is durable as hell and easy to clean up. I even dropped a little paint on it, while touching up the arch, and it was no big deal. Drawback? It can get hot on the feet.

I'm glad we did it.

Wow, did not realize that there were that many vendor options out there for this type of product. I was giving some thought to using it to veneer the little storage locker hatch under the bow in my project 16. It sounds like in some cases I could just ship the hatch lid to one of the providers and they could veneer it in there factory. Of course we did not think of this when we set the hatch depth into the floor so I suspect it would stand proud a bit. I'm not sure how it would look on a resto rod where there was no other wood anywhere. Hmmmmm?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Wow, did not realize that there were that many vendor options out there for this type of product. I was giving some thought to using it to veneer the little storage locker hatch under the bow in my project 16. It sounds like in some cases I could just ship the hatch lid to one of the providers and they could veneer it in there factory. Of course we did not think of this when we set the hatch depth into the floor so I suspect it would stand proud a bit. I'm not sure how it would look on a resto rod where there was no other wood anywhere. Hmmmmm?
    I think it would look pretty good on a resto-mod type project, but yes it will sand proud a bit. I think it's about 3/16" thick.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

Here is a photo with the product against a red background. Maybe it could work with Surface Tension in just that one under deck location. It would not be a problem right now to plane down the hatch so that after the product was installed it would be flush with the floor around it.

Thread Information