Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any benefit to a twin stick shifter/throttle?

Any benefit to a twin stick shifter/throttle?

Surfing around and found a late model 22 with many upgrades for sale. One was that he had taken off the throttle and replaced it with a twin stick. While cool, I was wondering if there is really any benefit.
    1979 Donzi Criterion
    1997 Classic 16
    2007 G3 w/ Yamaha 90 hp jet outboard
    Jackson Hole, WY
    www.jacksonholealltrans.com

Just my .02, which in this economy, is only worth .01, and actually is less than that since my original .02 isn't really worth .02.

I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX package. I was never happy with the Volvo shifter.. especially around a dock. When you shifted into reverse, sometimes the engine would rev up and quite frankly it could be embarrassing.

Last summer I installed a 2 stick Dana shifter and I love it!! No more surprises at the dock. The mounting base is the same shade of red as the bezels on the gauges so yeah, it does look good as well.

The smooth movement and the ability to make small and effortless changes in throttle is the primary reason I like the Dana shifter. I wish neutral was a bit more defined as to shifting out of forward. I wish it had a reverse safety stop to help at the dock when going back and forth between forward, neutral, and reverse but I'd buy the Dana again without hesitation. The unique look also appeals to me.
    T.M. Hayes

Having had my hands on more shifters than we have members, I know they can cause issues in panic situations. Grab the wrong stick at the wrong time and all hell can break loose, I have seen a few tranny's and drives blown from guys slamming reverse thinking they were killing the throttle. Problems with single lever units usually relate to adjustment or an untrained or over zealous operator.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I love my Dana!
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

the dual stick one that I learned to drive on had a lock out on it so the shifter couldn't be moved once the throttle was moved more than 1/4 throttle.

so the throttle needed to be pulled back or set at idle or a little more before the shifter would work also could only go full throttle when the shifter was in fwd.
    granted that was on an early 1960's outboard and once you had it down it was easy to get around the docks. since then only single lever boats and it did take some time to get use to. surprised the newer dual sticks don't have the same type of lock outs

Lightbulb

Some off site input! http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/013757.html http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...gle-lever.html http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...rols-pics.html You can love them all you want but when the day comes not if that you do have an issue the bling factor will become far less interesting and safty will come first!

If I get to the point where I can't remember what the short stick does versus the long one, I will sell the boat and check into the nursing home
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    If I get to the point where I can't remember what the short stick does versus the long one, I will sell the boat and check into the nursing home
    Like the old folks who confuse the accelerator with the brake pedal
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Some off site input! http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/013757.html http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...gle-lever.html http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...rols-pics.html You can love them all you want but when the day comes not if that you do have an issue the bling factor will become far less interesting and safty will come first!

I bought my Dana for the comfort factor... the bling was a bonus!!

Yes... The duel shifters takes alittle time to get use to. The fun is when you have a 38 ft offshore raceboat with triple shifters,triple crash boxes and need to dock in a tight space. My 22 this year will have Livorsi duel shifters.I'll let you try them,but you must be sober...

I like twin sticks. But sometimes I look like a 3 armed monkey when docking.

1 hand on the shifter, 1 hand on the throttle, and 1 hand steering
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Agreed,

I have not seen a Dana rigged that way. That is really cool. Did you rig that custom or is that a stock setup from Dana? The version I have seen is the side throttle.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Not to mention all the Twin engine ZR's, ZX's and cruisers.
    They have 4 sticks to deal with!

Hedge,
    I bought it from Dana that way.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain

Thread Information