Thread: Donzi Runabouts

Donzi Runabouts

We have seen Donzi runabouts at LOTO , never got a close look at one seem like they just have a big Z on the sun pad, does any one know any thing about them like what sizes and are they any good, looking for a boat for the wife, we sold the 28ZX and got the 35 ZR and she wont drive the new one but need something bigger than the 20 ft ski boat , it can get to be a little rough.

I remember seeing one on ebay a year or two ago. Pretty plain jane looking, but did have the Z on the sunpad and I think it had 'Donzi Z' on the side. can't remember when they made them or what options. definitely a bowrider with windshield, no thru transom exhaust, alpha outdrive smallblock.
    2002 28ZX

If it had the Z on the sunpad (and someone didn't add it later on) it was most likely a Z 20 or Z-22 from around the 1999 to 2003 model year (originally the 19 LXR and 21 LXR in '97-'98). 8'6" beam on the 22 and 8' on the 20, roomy cockpit, single-step bottom. The 22 came stock with a 5.7, but was available with a 350 Mag and thru-transom exhaust and was an honest 60 MPH boat with this power.

Fairly basic design: stick-built cockpit with glued-in carpet, two swivel buckets and a U-shaped bench seat (straight bench on the 20) with a full-width sunpad aft; molded port and starboard dash pods, glass walk-thru windshield, and integrated swim platform. Not a screamer with standard power, but a nice, soft-riding hull. We sold several hundred of these.

Also came in a cuddy version, the 21 LXC / Z 22 Cuddy.

Josh -
    where these smaller Z boats a 24* bottom or where they a flatter bottom such as a 20-22 of the likes of other runabouts.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I think the original Z-boats were 27 percent Vs and the Regazzas were probably much less.

Richard
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    Josh -
    where these smaller Z boats a 24* bottom or where they a flatter bottom such as a 20-22 of the likes of other runabouts.
    They were 21 degree bottoms with a single step and an "extended-plane" running surface, meaning that there was actually usable hull beneath the swim platform - it wasn't just an overhang.. If I had to name one characteristic, especially of the 22, I'd say it was soft riding. They had deep, wide, roomy cockpits.

The previous-generation runabouts, the Medallions, had huge cockpits too, but I'm pretty sure they had 19-degree bottoms. The Z boats rode much more comfortably - surprisingly so. The Z-22 with the "performance package" (red or yellow hullside with a painted checkered stripe, 350 Mag and thru-transom exhaust) was an awesome boat and a real kick to drive. The styling of the standard boat was a little subdued, they were family runabouts after all, but they were nice.

Objectively speaking, there are only two knocks against the boat that I can think of: 1., the main cockpit was "stick built;" carpet glued over wood, which isn't as nice as a fiberglass liner with snap-in carpet; and 2., there was some plywood in the upholstery. However, I think the stringers were divinycell. I've never heard of any structural issues with these boats. If you can find one that's been taken care of, and you're in the market for this type of boat, I think you'll like the Z-boats. I've talked to a lot of owners over the years who are pretty fond of them.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Donzigo View Post
    I think the original Z-boats were 27 percent Vs and the Regazzas were probably much less.

Richard
    Z-24, Z-30, and Z-33 were all listed as 22.5.

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJosh View Post
    and thru-transom exhaust and was an honest 60 MPH boat with this power.
    Ahhh, I stand corrected. I think the one I saw on ebay didn't have the thru transom exhaust, but I could be wrong. I didn't realize they would tuck them into that hole by the outdrive......I figured they would have done it like a Caravelle Interceptor or somethin.
    2002 28ZX

Thanks Josh, I always wondered, since I have had so many Z-boats.

Richard
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

I believe this is a transom shot of the Z22 ?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information