Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I need some help/opinions....

I need some help/opinions....

I'm trying to finalize the layout of the Donzi 009 based dash.
    Josh sent me a scalable file that I had printed full size. I taped it onto the existing TR dash glass to determine the "new" versus the "old", so to speak. If you've seen pictures of the TR dash, you've observed it's pretty well chopped up. Filling in the dash glass was never an option as I was always going to use a seperate dash of some material.
    Anyway, the first thing that became obvious was the new dash was going to have to be 1" taller than the 009 dash (the 1" is added to the bottom of the dash). That should be easy enough. Also, 3/8" will need to be added to each end to make sure everything is adequately covered.
    So, here's the deal, I have a total of 12 gauges. I have the usual collection plus fuel pressure, water pressure, oil temp, all in Monster (2-5/8") size, then in 2" size are an hour meter and depth gauge. Also, the Gaffrig Monster 4-3/4" liquid filled speedo that I think is still being built by Livorsi. At the bottom in the middle under the tach/speedo is the ignition, safety lanyard, and two auxiliary power outlets.
    The black panel to the left of the steering is the Hynautic Power Plane indicator/switch. Yes, it does both and it's as cool as all get out. I don't care what the "NO INDICATOR" guys say....this is MY boat. There is a new panel in the works also.
    The steering has to move to the right and lower to match the existing dash hole. Then to the right of the steering are six water proof Carling switches along w/their circuit breakers and I've shown them in a couple of configurations.
    Kind of a seperate subject, but still pertinant, I'm planning on utilizing the throttle mounted trim switch and use one of the Carling switches for trailering. I could locate the trailer switch seperately, like near the throttle, or to the far right side of the dash.
    So, here's some pictures and shows the results of my efforts so far.
    What do y'all think?

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Wont the trim tab indicator cables cause a problem left of helm?

George,

With the placement of the wheel/hynautic indicators and the standard driving position of left hand on the wheel and right on the throttle, I think you'll find you won't be able to see the indicators very well.

The switches to the right of the wheel will be blocked somewhat as well, but they aren't the sort of thing you'll want to read at a glance so much so that shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Wont the trim tab indicator cables cause a problem left of helm?
    They're going to show. They did originally on the right of the helm. They can no longer go to the right because of the Eaton Char-Lynn hydraulic helm hoses will interfere with the indicator bracket behind the dash.
    It's just the lessor of two evils.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I'd also seriously consider angled bezels for the smaller gauges. I did something similar with the layout of my dash and found the small gauges hard to read that far off to my left.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    I'd also seriously consider angled bezels for the smaller gauges. I did something similar with the layout of my dash and found the small gauges hard to read that far off to my left.
    I would agree w/you if the water pressure and fuel pressure were important to monitor all the time, but I don't think they'll be changing all that much.
    I had a similar switch location on the Minx and the reality is you're not switching things on and off very often. If the switches go to the bottom center, there isn't room for the breakers to be located adjacent to the switches.
    Everything is a trade off.
    I want all the extra gauges, first to be utilized, and second for a little bling (there, I admit it).
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George, the position of the hour meter and the depth gauge is a no-go for me. It really does not match the overall layout of the gauges. May be this looks better (needs some fine-tuning of course):

I would completely remove the power plane panel from the dash all together.
    It looks as if it is being showcased on the dash.
    Move it to the gunwale side by the throttle, if you must have it.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I would completely remove the power plane panel from the dash all together.
    It looks as if it is being showcased on the dash.
    Move it to the gunwale side by the throttle, if you must have it.
    Ted, maybe you're on to something.
    I really don't need a panel. I can have the handle/indicator slots cut into the carbon panel itself. It would be less obvious.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Sounds like the best idea so far. Still there, but not standing out.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

On Jill's Scorpion 18...

the indicators were on the gunwale. I thought it was a little strange at first, but in use, it worked pretty well. Moving the indicators over to the right should make rigging easier and you can then move all of your gauges over a little closer to the driver position for easier visibility. I have sat in boats with gauges stretched across the dash and you just can't see them that well.

So, is it going to be ready for next spring? We could always consider making the TR the theme boat for the AOTH, but that means the boat has to be there! It would be great to have it debut at Lake Cumberland. Then of course there is, Parnell's GT... Get it done George.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    the indicators were on the gunwale. I thought it was a little strange at first, but in use, it worked pretty well. Moving the indicators over to the right should make rigging easier and you can then move all of your gauges over a little closer to the driver position for easier visibility. I have sat in boats with gauges stretched across the dash and you just can't see them that well.

So, is it going to be ready for next spring? We could always consider making the TR the theme boat for the AOTH, but that means the boat has to be there! It would be great to have it debut at Lake Cumberland. Then of course there is, Parnell's GT... Get it done George.
    Todd, the Char-Lynn helm's hoses prohibit moving the indicator/switch to the right of the helm. I've thought long and hard (for years now) about moving it to the gunnel..........so far, I can't make that commitment.
    At this point, I'm planning on prioritizing the gauges.
    Obviously oil pressure is primary, then coolant temp, followed by fuel quantity, and volt meter.
    I think I should be able to see these w/o any issues.
    Oil temp is pretty important if you're running hard, and drive trim is also.
    At this point, I'm no further to the left than a stock panel, so if I put water pressure and fuel pressure to the extreme left, I should be fine as neither of them are used hardly at all.
    Just to reiterate, all but the last two will be in their stock locations.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George: Did you forget the stereo? Or do you plan on tucking that a way some where else?
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

George, when I re-did my dash, no where near as large as yours, I only added oil temp and water pressure gauges, to the assortment that were stock in '99, but I did change them to "monster" size. Like you, I did add a trim tab gauge.

I have an hour gauge factory mounted on the bulkhead in front of the engine. I am now thinking of moving the location of my depth gauge (which is sitting in a drawer in the boathouse) to the right gunwale. It was mounted in the dash to the right of the helm along with my tab switches

At times I wish I had angled bezels, but I have located the "important" gauges closer to me.

My 12 volt power port was relocated to the lower edge of the dash on the backside. Out of site, but easily accesible.

My switches were also moved to the right side of the helm along with the ignition switch and circut breaker. My trim gauge and tab gauge make up the rest of the panel on the right side.

I relocated my tab switches to the top of the starbord gunwale, just forward of the throttle.This was the best location change of the whole dash re-do. The tab switch is only a 4-5 inch move from the handle of throttle, not 8-10 inches in stock form.

I don't know why I never considered a one piece dash panel like the 009 dash, but as a point for my defense, the 009 dash wasn't built yet.

Just remember, group like functions together.

Esthetically, l like the switches arranged verticaly.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    George: Did you forget the stereo? Or do you plan on tucking that a way some where else?
    LOL!
    Funny thing is, Laine is a trained musician, degrees and decades of experience, but she almost hates listening to music.
    Whoever buys it can do as they want.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information