Thread: black hawk drives

black hawk drives

while searching for a new boat i have run across 2 formula's with 502's and black hawk drives, both are 1995 303sr1's. the first(thanks buzz) was on ebay and now on boat trader and the second on ebay today. just wondering if this was an option in 95 on formula's?? thought this drive was made for us donzi's people. any info????
    h.f.e.c.d

Don't quote me on this, as I'm sure there are others that will be more educated but, I think there where other boat manufactures using the BH drive in the short production time of it, I to have seen I believe a Forumla and a cpl others with twin BH's hung off the back. That kinda boat should be right up your alley since you know how the BH runs in a sweet 22!!! And with the cabin you could haul more shine
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Donzi Engineering coupled with Mercury Racing to make a Mold/Hull that would
    suit the Drive...Lots of lake X Prop testing etc on the BHLE
    There were Scarabs and some other tunnel Hull boats running the Drives as well...Some with high HP..Problem was when they aired the hulls out and hit re entry with any kind of torque the vertical shafts would snap...weal link in the whole design of things...A good throttle Man and seasoned operator swears by these drives.....
    Just my 2 Cents
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2807&dateline=1163742  168
    More Tab, More Tab, More...Damn

gero......... that KY boat is flat out gorgeous..... i'd love to see it run
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Does anybody know how they run vs a Bravo boat? Do they plane well? Good top end? No hydraulic steering but one had a tie bar. Gen 5 motors. Both look great. Did Formula make any hull changes to accommodate the BH drives? Cool setup.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Easiest way to find out..

Gero, call Formula technical support. 260.724.1412. If the ad has the serial number, they can tell you exactly how the boat was equiped when it left Decatur, especially with something as easy as the power and drive combo, because this info is the first thing you find on the build card for warranty tracking purposes. Have fun and you can thank me later.

Pismo, I imagine you might find someone at Formula who set these boats up, if you pushed hard enough. Every time I have been down there I have met folks that have spent most of their lives working there. Great environment and a lot of pride in what they build. I would just call and ask, if you are looking seriously at one of their boats.

when i called about the colours on my boat they gave me the exact date manufactured, engine, drives, and the dealer it when to and on what day

you need the serial number
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

I too have seen several other boats with BH drives, IMO they do not need hydraulic steering. Up at the 2007 1K event the pin from the steering cable to the tiller arm popped out my bad did not realize it had a common steel cotter pin, the boat ran straight just would not turn the drive has -0- steering torque could probably be driven even without P/S. Tony let me push a rope back to the dock!!!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

scarab p29s came with blackhawk drives from factory and is one of the best suited boats for the drive

??

for some reason i thought these drives were for donzi's. yea buzz i like the ky boat too!! i talked to the owner and i quote "it will touch 80 with emty tanks and real low on fuel" thinking about taking the drives off and putting on 2"shorty xr's
    h.f.e.c.d

Looks like quite a few really nice deals out there with varied drive and engine configurations, it is a buyers market out there you can pick and chose the comps are there to help make a great deal. http://www.google.com/search?q=1995+...f87efc6f926f13
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by gero1 View Post
    for some reason i thought these drives were for donzi's. yea buzz i like the ky boat too!! i talked to the owner and i quote "it will touch 80 with emty tanks and real low on fuel" thinking about taking the drives off and putting on 2"shorty xr's
    that could be interesting...
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Steering is Steering...

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I too have seen several other boats with BH drives, IMO they do not need hydraulic steering. Up at the 2007 1K event the pin from the steering cable to the tiller arm popped out my bad did not realize it had a common steel cotter pin, the boat ran straight just would not turn the drive has -0- steering torque could probably be driven even without P/S. Tony let me push a rope back to the dock!!!
    In my opinion Phil, you got lucky and thank goodness for that.

I think steering is a must in anything over 70-75, withour regard to the drive system.

In regards to the BH, every one of the high flying Cigs run twin ram steering. Byron and Shea run it with their BH rigs. And I have been in Gero's rig, before and after. The difference was dramatic. Before, sea-saw the wheel and hope she went straight. After, smooth, point her and go. Dramatic.

Maybe not necessary? Yes. Pretty nice to have? Yes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    In my opinion Phil, you got lucky and thank goodness for that.

I think steering is a must in anything over 70-75, withour regard to the drive system.

In regards to the BH, every one of the high flying Cigs run twin ram steering. Byron and Shea run it with their BH rigs. And I have been in Gero's rig, before and after. The difference was dramatic. Before, sea-saw the wheel and hope she went straight. After, smooth, point her and go. Dramatic.

Maybe not necessary? Yes. Pretty nice to have? Yes, too.
    word..
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Thread Information