Thread: Stuck

Stuck

Well I'm stuck... I was on a roll with my 18 1970 donzi rebuild when I came to a dead end. So far I have sanded the entire inside of the hull beefed up the stringers, rebuilt the transome, and built support brackets for the stringers. on that note this idot "me" covered up the factory holes where the motor mounts to the stringer. second I need to get brand new motor mounts for the motor. where do i begin this project.

Do you still have your inner transom bracket and mounting locations ?. . if so , though time consuming, work backwards, install your transom hardware, bellhousing and a bare engine block . . .

Mario L.

Making motor mounts for your boat won't be so tough. What kind of drive are you using? If it's an old Volvo where alignment isn't so critical it will be a bit easier than a merc that needs careful alignment. I did a Ford to Chevy change years ago and used some pieces of steel el and steel backing plates set so they sit on the stringers. Came out very solid.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

If you just glassed over the holes and can't find them try shining a bright light through the stringer. The light should show through the holes. Then you can open them up with a small drill and dremel tool. That's what I did.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I am also changing the out drive from a volvo to an Alpha 1 gen 2 out drive. is there any difference in motor postion with the change in the new drive?

Thread Information