Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transom steps

Transom steps

Well on my never-ending quest to make my 18 freakin awesome, I'm looking for a few add-ons. One of which is a way for my guests and myself to easily get into the boat from the water. I know I know...no need to beat a dead horse about getting in via the drive. I'm fine with it, but I like having other people along, and some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.

Now I've borrowed this picture from a thread in the for sale section. Shouldn't be too hard to find the thread if you would like, but if you can't and would like it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Anyway, does anybody know where I could find a pair of these, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks in advance,
    David
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

The problem with steps or platforms to help get in the boat is that the bottom step in that picture is about at the level of your throat when you are in the water. Find a ladder where the first rung is at the level of your throat and try to climb up it. It is very tough. Nobody seems to appreciate this.

You need something that goes well underwater to really work well. That is why climbing up the drive is so popular.

I wish I had a suggestion. Some type of ladder that is easily removable and storeable that extends well underwater is what is needed.

The steps in that picture are used after people climb up the drive.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Vol View Post
    some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.
    David
    I put the Dol-phins on my outdrive to keep the feet off the prop.

Pismo, Good point. I didn't really do the math on where the steps would be while in the water. That would be a trick. Hmmm...still thinking...
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin275 View Post
    I put the Dol-phins on my outdrive to keep the feet off the prop.

I've seen those before, and have considered them. Does it do anything in the way of altering performance and/or ride? Also, I didn't mention that I'm using a Volvo 270. Just an FYI
    1970 18 Classic-original

I've seen those before, and have considered them. Does it do anything in the way of altering performance and/or ride? Also, I didn't mention that I'm using a Volvo 270. Just an FYI
    I have a Volvo 270 works fine.

I think it slows the boat about 2-3 mph
    It is supposed to help performance in other ways but I could not tell?

the dive ladders are not a bad option u have a small bracket that bolts on and the ladder slipps into the bracket u can easily get out of the water with that type the steps are on either side of a pole that slips into the bracket
    FISH HARD

have you thought about taking an old aluminum step ladder

cut one side off it

cut the legs to match the bottom of the boat for a custom look

screw or bungee cord it to the transom

for a real nice custom look polish the ladder up so it looks chrome
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Thumbs up

Well on my never-ending quest to make my 18 freakin awesome, I'm looking for a few add-ons. One of which is a way for my guests and myself to easily get into the boat from the water. I know I know...no need to beat a dead horse about getting in via the drive. I'm fine with it, but I like having other people along, and some aren't so keen on the idea of putting their foot so close to a S/S prop and pushing down.

Now I've borrowed this picture from a thread in the for sale section. Shouldn't be too hard to find the thread if you would like, but if you can't and would like it, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Anyway, does anybody know where I could find a pair of these, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks in advance,
    David

I was at a car show on the weekend and there was a Model 'A' street rod with a rumble seat. A step very similar to the one in the picture was mounted on the rear valance close to the right rear fender. On the top of the fender was a pad. Left foot on the step, right foot on the pad and left foot into the rumble seat. Voila!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    You need something that goes well underwater to really work well. That is why climbing up the drive is so popular.
    I had looked at the type of ladder pictured below but didn't want to have to mount the bracket on the transom. I thought it would look ugly. I've since seen one on a 22C and in all honesty, the bracket isn't overly noticeable. I may go this route.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

I just saw soemone that had a rope ladder that stowed in a very small bag and I was thinking it was perfect for my 16 Hangs over the side and stow it when done swimming I will see if I can find it if you are interested.

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Hate to see you put forever holes in that boat... A friend of mine had an older flat backed cig with no platform. I remember his ladder that he hung of the cleat..

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Step-L...2279999&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Hate to see you put forever holes in that boat... A friend of mine had an older flat backed cig with no platform. I remember his ladder that he hung of the cleat..

That's pretty cool, and looks easy to stow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post

Look at these reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Step-L...owViewpoints=1

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dangerous, June 21, 2009
    By David Hale (Hudson, Wi) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This review is from: Stearns Step 5 Ladder (Supports 450 Lb) (Sports)
    This product doesn't work! The steps will fold under the boat and you will not be able to step up. Don't buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars useless piece of junk, September 17, 2008
    By James Bongdon (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This ladder is completely useless. It does not work at all under any conditions with any boat. Just an astonishingly bad design that never should have been manufactured. It gets one star only because this form won't submit without one.

Dude I drove a 16 without a step for years starting as a college student. You just need to provide your women with adequate instructions on how to get in and out of an IO boat. Either that or go out with the appropriate women. I was driving that boat when I met Christina. I don't recall anyone even asking me about steps.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Thread Information