Thread: Donzi Statement of Origin

Donzi Statement of Origin

I have a question I am hoping someone can help me with. I have sold my Donzi 16 to a guy in Toronto, Canada. To bring it across the border, he said he needed several documents including bills of sale for trailer and boat and a "Statement of Origin."

I do not have a statement of origin (don't really even know what it is). He said that he needs something stating that the boat was built in the U.S. so he doesn't have to pay some extra taxes.

Does anyone have any advice on this one?

Thanks!

he is also going to need you to cancel the registration number in your state
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Don't you have a title for the boat?

The MSO, manufacturer's statement of origin, is for when the boat was new and has to do with transfer to a dealer. Usually, once the boat is titled, there is no need for a MSO.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I have bought two "New" boats built in Canada and shipped to dealerships in the US, where I took delivery as the new owner. Both boats came with a "Certificate of Origin". It's like a birth certificate for the boat and was provided by the builder, which was a Canadian company.

I did NOT have to pay any "Duty" on the boat when it crossed the border to the US..but then, I didn't technically "Own" it yet. If the dealer payed anything on it, I would have expected him to pass it on to me..but he did not. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidbart View Post
    Don't you have a title for the boat?

The MSO, manufacturer's statement of origin, is for when the boat was new and has to do with transfer to a dealer. Usually, once the boat is titled, there is no need for a MSO.

Bob
    States will take it (at least Florida does) in order to give you title.

I have a digital copy of mine, but the State of Florida has the original.

I did not need a "Statement of Origin" for British Columbia, but I did need a "Recall Letter" from the trailer manufacturer. It is a letter from the manufacturer (on company letterhead) that must state the make/model/serial number of the trailer and say that there were no recalls on that trailer.

If the trailer is not made in the US (or one of the other 'free-trade' countries) the buyer will have to pay extra duties to bring it into Canada.

Whether the buyer needs a "Statement of Origin" or "Recall Letter", you will have to contact the trailer manufacturer to obtain one. If the company is out of business, the buyer may be SOL and have to leave the trailer behind. He would need to contact Canada Customs to see if he can still import it.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

As stated, and MSO is generated by the boat builder at the time of delivery to the dealer. The dealer then uses it to generate the first title when the boat is sold. I believe trailers work the same way.

It may be possible to get a copy of the MSO from Donzi if the boat isn't too old, but given their past changes in ownership that might be a stretch.

FWIW, in California I don't belive we have to turn over the MSO to the state to generate the title; only provide a copy. I'm pretty sure we still have MSOs from many of our past sales in the files at our office. There may be a chance, if you bought the boat new from a dealer, that they'd still have a copy of the MSO on file. Again, that's a stretch.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Yeller is right on this. I have over the years brought several used boats and trailers to Ontario. The boats required no certificate of origin. A new trailer does but a used one does not. All trailers whether new or old require the recall letter from the manufacturer. They are usually not that hard to get if the manufacturer is still in business. Also, do not try to foozle the values of what you bought at customs. They are very wary of values on private sales and like to make you sweat even when actual values are used. If you get caught foozling values they can confiscate what you are bringing in.

I bought my 22C in 2008 in Florida and took it back to Ontario. I had to produce a Bill of Sale for the boat and a separate BOS for the trailer. Like Yeller says he will need a letter from the trailer mfr. stating that there are no recalls. In Ontario, he will have to take the trailer to 'Canadian Tire'( they are the only authorized inspection centre) to make sure that it complies with Ontario Min.of Transport regulations. I never had to produce a MSO.
    Maybe things have changed since '08.
    I had contacted a Customs Broker to find out what exactly I needed to produce at the border prior to crossing.. I filled out all the paperwork and paid the taxes at Canada Customs and was on my way in about 20 minutes. They didn't even come out to look at the boat.

Thread Information