Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: zr 27 trim tabs

450rrrr Guest

zr 27 trim tabs

just wondering why donzi put on such small tabs on this boat.mine are just 12x8.i have seen a factory pic with a k plane set up. do any of you have that set up.is it worth the extra $...i have a extra set of 12x12 sst dual ram bennett.that i was considering installing..or maybe pick up a set of thier 12x16 sst..hoping to make it a little more driveable around the 70 mph mark.we hit 73 on the gps..but it was all over the place.this thing likes to dance.and i dont think i can drive through it.so to speak..plus it seem to be the top of this motor packages range.love to learn a new boat.2nd trip out

I believe the K-planes are the optional trim tab. The little tabs do seem to be of little help on the ZX's, I would think the same for the ZR's. If you are going to do a swap on the tabs, I recommend the K-planes, never heard much of anything positive on the twin ram Bennetts. Good luck,
    tom
    2002 28ZX

I did the K plane swap. Other than dealing with a list, the little bennets did not do much for me. Frankly I wish they had left the bennets off so I would not have had to have the glass repaired when I switched to planes.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I need K-PLANES too.Donzi should have used them from the start.

450rrrr Guest
    i ended up get a set of 12x16 plates used off of ebay..and trim tab indicators from my local marine wholesale house.i figured for the 250 it cost me for both it would be worth a try.now if we could just get a little break in the weather

Donzi is trying to keep the cost down when they set up my 27zr they did not follow Mercury's set up an put the smallest Kplane on the 525 then they couldn't control the boat once they put the larger Kplane on it settled right down. My boat is running 83 and I am still trying to prop it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by 450rrrr View Post
    i ended up get a set of 12x16 plates used off of ebay..and trim tab indicators from my local marine wholesale house.i figured for the 250 it cost me for both it would be worth a try.now if we could just get a little break in the weather
    Let us know how it works!Do these new plates work with the bennet pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Donzi is trying to keep the cost down when they set up my 27zr they did not follow Mercury's set up an put the smallest Kplane on the 525 then they couldn't control the boat once they put the larger Kplane on it settled right down. My boat is running 83 and I am still trying to prop it correctly
    The biggest mistake donzi made on the 27zr was to use the wrong trim tabs.Does your 27zr have the 525? I like to know more,welcome to the donzi net!

Donzi put 150k planes on the boat and the 525 was to much power so we put 280's on it and it settled right down. If you want to check it out ...youtube....Donzi 27zr 525 running or Donzi 27zr 525 motor

450rrrr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fasttrucker View Post
    Let us know how it works!Do these new plates work with the bennet pumps?
    they are bennett trim plates...st16 same size 12 in. base..but twice as long as stock.. the mounts are the same as stock

not sure don't think they are the same as mercury Kplanes

Quote Originally Posted by 450rrrr View Post
    they are bennett trim plates...st16 same size 12 in. base..but twice as long as stock.. the mounts are the same as stock
    Let me know how they work!

fasttrucker did you check out my pics

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    fasttrucker did you check out my pics
    No,Were are they?.....I think you might have to upgrade your membership to be able to post them.

Skipper,

I saw the vid's on You Tube. I had seen them before, as I was looking for 525 27ZR's. Very sharp boat. I have an '08 27ZR with the 496HO. Am thinking about swapping out for a 525. Sounds like the bigger K-Planes are pretty important with the 525. What gear ratio is your drive, and what prop are you using right now to get 83mph?

Thread Information