Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I drain block and Manifolds, or ?

Should I drain block and Manifolds, or ?

OK guys, I have owned a checkmate with a Merc 4.3 Alpha 1, I have always drained all the water from the block, and manifolds and never had a problem, yes did lower unit service, fog, but just drained the block and manifolds. I keep it in an unheated garage Southern Wisconsin gets to 20-30 below maybe 7-15 days in the winter...

Bought a used Liberator, has GM? 350 Cobra (did not know GM made a cobra engine, but seller swears is) with OMC outdrive. Seller had bought for 6 months, bought from neighbor. He and a mechanic friend winterized it I was told.

I took it home, and opened the starboard manifold, was plugged with an inch of sand, broke through it, and light pink water came out, smelled like anti freeze, RV type, but looked a little weak. I saved some, and bought an antifreeze tester. Only one ball floated, thats 20 degrees above 0....not good, took the sample, put it in my freezer, in three hours was slush, after overnight was semi solid ice...emailed seller, said his friend used 50/50 rv antifreeze in a garbage can, sucked it up till thermostat opened and antifreeze coming out of exhaust about 5-10 minutes, then fogged and shut off.

I took sample from block, same results....should I just drain the block and manifolds and be done? Or should I pull all hoses and add more RV antifreeze after draining until it come out then close cocks, and manifold drains?

Yes I know to make sure if I drain to push a wire into drains to make sure they are not blocked....

Help me it is 25 degrees right now, winter is coming....

Not sure I/We (mostly "We"), a) understand your question, or b) you haven't already answered it yourself. It sure sounds like you know what to do as far as winterizing. 25 degrees for any length of time will surely freeze water. I'm no expert, but pink-stuff works with varying degrees of opinion of it below a certain level of latitude. 25 degrees in November tells me you need a different color of antifreeze in your block.

With kind regards,

Phil S.

I have never used antifreeze in a boat as stated, however use it in my RV, never froze, but I thinkk I will just drain them tonight and leave them open...guess OMC, 350 treat same as my 4.3 and leave it dry?

You said the RV antifreeze was mixed 50/50.

There's your problem. RV antifreeze is used neat, straight out of the jug.

Drain and refill.

Ken

It is a catch 22! Iron needs to be kept wet as it corrodes very fast once wet then left to dry, it flakes off and tends to plugs passages in the following seasons especially risers. Important to know regular "Non Tox" RV anti freeze has no rust inhibitors, yes it is way better than leaving the engine dry. Some of use use standard antifreeze in the raw circuit then drain and reclaim it in the spring, I leave it in a covered bucket and recheck it freeze capabilities before the next use. I guess it depends on just how anal you want to be in protecting your investment and keeping your coin in your pocket.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    It is a catch 22! Iron needs to be kept wet as it corrodes very fast once wet then left to dry, it flakes off and tends to plugs passages in the following seasons especially risers. Important to know regular "Non Tox" RV anti freeze has no rust inhibitors, yes it is way better than leaving the engine dry. Some of use use standard antifreeze in the raw circuit then drain and reclaim it in the spring, I leave it in a covered bucket and recheck it freeze capabilities before the next use. I guess it depends on just how anal you want to be in protecting your investment and keeping your coin in your pocket.
    Not that I disagree with you, but lake water doesn't have rust inhibitors either. I guess having rust inhibitors for 6 months out of the year is better than never.

I use RV antifreeze. Jug says its guaranteed down to -50degF when used at full strength.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Darin it all,block,hoses,manifolds,cooler,,if its a vortech you need to pull the plug in the front of the manifold above the water pump...
    allot of people dont know this but when gm went to the vortech style cylinder heads gm eliminate the center exhaust port on the intake side to warm up the center of the intake manifold for driveability when its cool out..in replacement of that port gm now uses water/antifreeze to heat up the lower center of the intake,so it you dont pull that plug or run the engine in a antifreeze bath the center of the intake manifold will freeze and crack and let water into the oil system....same goes for the vortech 4.3's
    after you pull that plug lower the front of the boat down so the water can drain out...

This is an 1988 Cobra 350, not vortec, but great advice. I drained it all last night, it was hard to get the rubber plugs off the bottom of the manifolds, found out why, they had not been off in some time...had to punch through 1 inch of sand and gunk to get the water out. Drains in the blocks were better, but a little plugged. With this motor thats all I should have to drain, correct?

I may see if I can work the hoses off the manifolds, and put what straight RV antifreeze or regular auto antifreeze in it?

Or just leave it this way dry...air doesnt freeze...right?

Emailed seller, him and his friend bought a winterize kit online, mixed 50/50 rv .....but did find out previous owner always had the local marina winterize it, so this was the first time he had winterized....just glad I caught it. The antifreeze just seemed to weak....

Also found out their are different testers for rv antifreeze and automotive.....

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by dellsboater View Post
    This is an 1988 Cobra 350, not vortec, but great advice. I drained it all last night, it was hard to get the rubber plugs off the bottom of the manifolds, found out why, they had not been off in some time...had to punch through 1 inch of sand and gunk to get the water out. Drains in the blocks were better, but a little plugged. With this motor thats all I should have to drain, correct?

I may see if I can work the hoses off the manifolds, and put what straight RV antifreeze or regular auto antifreeze in it?

Or just leave it this way dry...air doesnt freeze...right?

Emailed seller, him and his friend bought a winterize kit online, mixed 50/50 rv .....but did find out previous owner always had the local marina winterize it, so this was the first time he had winterized....just glad I caught it. The antifreeze just seemed to weak....

Also found out their are different testers for rv antifreeze and automotive.....

you will never get all the water out..i always tank with antifreeze if its drained leave everything off and leave the plugs out..a closed system will freeze and brake stuff a open system drained will freeze but will give the water a place to go and not brake stuff because it has room to exand..

when you take the hoses off drain them and leave them off also and put them back on in the spring..

Have to start removing hoses this weekend as they look as if they have never been off, Removed the clamps, but are fused to the nipples...may have to cut them off

...Bought a used Liberator, has GM? 350 Cobra (did not know GM made a cobra engine, but seller swears is) ...
    It is not a GM Cobra - Cobra is the OMC designation for the engine / outdrive package. OMC also made a King Cobra that was beefier than the Cobra.
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Ok, it has on the air cleaner King Cobra with a picture of a cobra head and 350......owner said it was a GM motor...

I've got a 18c 350/King Cobra package. On mine you have to drain the water from the outdrive water pump. Don't know if that pertains to regular Cobra. Buy a manual it will answer all your questions as to winterizing.

Need to get a manual....where do I drain that at?

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Need to get a manual....where do I drain that at?

if it hasn't been in the water recently it probably drained its self.

Thread Information