Thread: Whipple???

Whipple???

last summer I bought a 2004 18 classic with a 350 mag. It runs about 67mph. I would like to run around 75mph. I was thinking about installing a whipple supercharger.....am I nuts? The engine has about 90hrs on it. Alpha drive

nuts? No. 90 hrs shouldn't be a problem assuming the engine's in good shape. As for the Alpha, it's life expectancy will be directly related to how you drive the boat - you'll have enough power to grenade it if you're ham handed, but I would expect it to survive if you're gentle. At least long enough for you build up the kitty for a bravo switch in a season or two.

Of course, the bravo will cost you a mph or two as it's a physically larger case.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Red face

How much would a whippel cost.How much hp does that give to a stock 350.

There's more than one 18 around here that's capable of 80 ish that are small block powered......lots of them are 383's and NA.
    I think the 18 responds very well to a few more cubic inches.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thats what i was wondering what is better.I just did a 383 with 400+hp running inthe high 70.with a alpha drive which is working great with a 25p m.I don't know which way is cheaper.

It looks like the complete kit sells for about 7 grand...not cheap but by the time you have a new engine built with a fuel system its gotta be close. They claim all you have to do is send out the ecm and they map it for the blower.

Well thats pretty close to changing your motor to a383.If you change just think you will have a brand new strong motor to play with..craig

Lightbulb

I know where a balanced/blue printed 383 400HP is with a one year guarantee for $3,700, "PM" me if interested it won't last long long now that the cat is out of the bag!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

It's worth talking to Mercruiser. they have a trade in program, and a couple different 383 engines you may like.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

whipples are nice but annoying after a whyle,,do you have a 555 ecm??????

non programable..

sell your engine as a complete package and buy this [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbCVXPoIeCA&feature=related[/media]

they say bravo application but u can make it work with a alpha..

yes I have the 555 ecm....I guess they will work up till' '08 with the whipple. They are actually liscenced at whipple to work on them. That 383/400hp Merk is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    whipples are nice but annoying after a whyle,,do you have a 555 ecm??????

non programable..

sell your engine as a complete package and buy this ...

they say bravo application but u can make it work with a alpha..
    Wow, he says that motor idles at 700 horsepower. Crazy that they let that slip through.
    RickS-E

Whipple..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Whipple is a great way to go if you want to add boost. Bad idea tho wanting to put it on a boat with an alpha drive.. That is a lot to throw at that drive. A bravo would be better candidate to up the power on.

While I am a big cheereader for superchargers, you may be better off repowering & converting to a bravo at the same time. At least if you plan on 2 things.. Keeping the boat & Using it frequently.

Jamie / Lakeside

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    Wow, he says that motor idles at 700 horsepower. Crazy that they let that slip through.

yes i noticed that too,,i just let it slide..but if you listen close he said 7000 700 hp

Thread Information