Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 18 classic.Performance ?(tipping feeling)

18 classic.Performance ?(tipping feeling)

Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn, and the boat would continue forward and I would get the feeling that if I steered eitherway the boat would flip. I have never really noticed that before. Tabs where up. The lake we were on was very busy and alot of wakes. Am I making a big deal of this. Should I just bang the wheel to either side and power thru it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripperjharley View Post
    Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn, and the boat would continue forward and I would get the feeling that if I steered eitherway the boat would flip. I have never really noticed that before. Tabs where up. The lake we were on was very busy and alot of wakes. Am I making a big deal of this. Should I just bang the wheel to either side and power thru it.
    Thanks
    lol

Don't power through it. If the boat starts to roll onto it's side in a turn, raise the drive and straighten the boat.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Makes Sense. Thanks Carl.

Makes Sense. Thanks Carl.
    Your welcome. Hopefully others will join in.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Hello, I have 2000 18' classic. Have had it for 4 years, This year I had several times when using boat at under 25-30 mph the boat would list to port at the start of a port turn,

This problem started this year and not during the previous 3 years of ownership? Any changes to the setup...prop maybe?
    "1978" F-22; Turbo'd & Intercooled.

The solution is, if under 35, always turn to STBD. LOL!

It's true!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

or dont go under 35

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Are you sure both tabs are up? You could experience a port list if the STB tab was full down and the port full up. Also, not to be obvious but did you check the bilge?

HTH, John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

i have a feeling the driver is getting a little chunky and the extra weight is causing the problem,,

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    i have a feeling the driver is getting a little chunky and the extra weight is causing the problem,,

'
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Did my wife send you that picture.

In response to the other reply's, first thanks for your response.
    Nope, i havent changed a thing since I bought it 4 years ago., I am positive that the tabs where up. I thought about this while it was listing and hit the buttons to make sure. When I first bought it though I had a few scarry moments playing with the tabs and actually that feeling is very similiar to what I am describing here.

Bilge was dry.

Thanks.
    Ron

Maybe you are just extra sensitive. My boat tends to "waller" around below 30 without some serious tabs.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

I have found that if I am not on plane, my boat is not the crispest handleing. If I turn too sharp, she will roll.

Ken

My 18 leans over at low speeds also, a little extra throttle and a sharper turn creates the "g's" needed to keep everything feeling normal.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

As discussed on this forum already, Real Men don't use Trim Tab Indicators either..so don't even go there. DJ
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Thread Information