Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Tyler Crockett 496

New Tyler Crockett 496

I saw this on another forum. He's getting nearly 600 HP w/Dart iron heads.
    That's cool all right!
    But what got my attention was that he's running a crank driven raw water pump. It looks like a Crusader pump to me, but I may be mistaken.
    So tell me, which would you rather change the impellor on, one of these, or a Merc pump?

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

And of course, the other interesting thing is the water crossover manifold/T-stat housing is on the front of the heads, and not on top.
    Fascinating!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

IMO The merc pumps on the current late model stuff are a pita and trash compared to the older ones they used to use..

I think he likes those pumps!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I saw this on another forum. He's getting nearly 600 HP w/Dart iron heads.
    That's cool all right!
    But what got my attention was that he's running a crank driven raw water pump. It looks like a Crusader pump to me, but I may be mistaken.
    So tell me, which would you rather change the impellor on, one of these, or a Merc pump?

G, that is not a stroked 454, you have to do what tyler did to make a 496 ho into a fresh water carbed engine..it also has a sheet aluminum intake that was custom made..the 496 aftermarket heads dont have revisions in the top of the cylinder heads for coolant co they come out the front of the headswith the water ports..

I learn something every day, I didn't know about the head configuraqtion.
    He did comment on the welded manifold and that they would be offering a cast version.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Close to 600hp sounds pretty nice, but I'd hate to do that swap if I had to get rid of my EFI.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

FRankentyler

Saw the intake before it went on the engine - asked Tyler if he thought he was Vic Edlebrock making his own without a flow bench!

Tyler has done some other interesting stuff like take the carb manifolds and add fuel injection rails then turning them to from TBI to MPI injection setups - and another of his pet projects is the MERC RACING 500EFI and 525EFI (Arizona Speed And Marine) fuel injection setup - abandoning the front end throttle and opening up the manifold top for a huge throttle intake - more power there too. FRankentyler I think - docs opinion of course!
    Dr. d

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. David Fleming View Post
    Saw the intake before it went on the engine - asked Tyler if he thought he was Vic Edlebrock making his own without a flow bench!

Tyler has done some other interesting stuff like take the carb manifolds and add fuel injection rails then turning them to from TBI to MPI injection setups - and another of his pet projects is the MERC RACING 500EFI and 525EFI (Arizona Speed And Marine) fuel injection setup - abandoning the front end throttle and opening up the manifold top for a huge throttle intake - more power there too. FRankentyler I think - docs opinion of course!
    Eddie Young and others have been doing the carb manifold / EFI thing for years. If you build up a maxed out 500 EFI you will make around 620 or so hp. Take off the 500 EFI manifold and install the big manifold and holley injector system and you will get another 50-75hp on the next pull.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

GBond Guest
    George, Had a 540/NA built this summer for my 22c. Conservative 600hp on dyno with Dart 308 Iron Eagle heads. As for the cam driven pump... will ask around.

Is it a Gen VII 496?
    Thanks,
    Michael

GBond Guest
    Whooop's.... notta 496.

I know nothing about the Crockett 496, so this is a thread derail. Sorry George. My comments are about the 500-525 mods.

I shopped around for engine builders two years ago to re-build my 500. Tyler couldn't be bothered to return my calls, so I gave up on him. Eddie just wanted to junk all of the Merc stuff and go Holley. Nice enough guy, but that wasn't what I wanted.

Turned to Innovation. Again, slow to return my calls and three weeks to get me a quote. Turned to Ron Potter and he won the business for being responsive, having a great reputation including time spent at Innovation and starting up and running Nortech's program.

There just aren't many guys out there that will mess with the Mercury fuel injection. I have not heard very many positive experiences with the ship-it to ASM, program it, and try it again routine; so you have to tune the engine on the dyno with the ECM. Few can do that.

Hedge is right, actually maybe a little high, on the limits of the 500 intake. I would say it is more in the 575-600-ish range. Still working on mine and air flow is the biggest issue. Going the Merc EFI route beyond design limits is a bit of an art, so you had better trust your engine builder or just go carb and be done with it.

So Todd, do you feel that commited to the Merc intake and FI systems?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    So Todd, do you feel that commited to the Merc intake and FI systems?
    Yes, but modding with this stuff isn't for everyone...

Thread Information