Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cool Video Of 22Cs Running Lake Michigan

Cool Video Of 22Cs Running Lake Michigan

I stumbled onto this while poking around you-tube. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lln6FAHkqEk[/media]
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

That is a great Donzi video

very good camera work

shows the value of moving the camera around

usually all we get is wind noise and a bumpy shot of the GPS

Great video. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of flak for saying this and I can't say if it was the drivers or not, but that Aronow Edition was far outclassed by the ride of the "old" 22. He smoked that red boat in the rough stuff.

That video is shot with a sweet camera. It can be mounted to your head, or the bow, or even on the front of a surfboard or water ski. Brad from White Lake owns it, and he has shot some really cool video with it. The AE, btw, is Jeff's from Grand Rapids.

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Lightbulb

I think a AE was trimmed out too much for conditions.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Brad's got a sweet running 22. I don't remember if it is an 86 or 87, but it is an Alpha mated to a 454. It runs great. One of the best cruising Donzis I have ever been in. 47 mph @ 3,000 rpms. All day long. Effortlessly.

Jeff's (Bald Eagle) AE is about 10 mph faster, but can be a real handful. There must be some very big differences between those 2 hulls and set up. Jeff's boat requires a LOT of tab to have a chance of running flat. Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks. I'm not speaking negatively about Jeff's boat at all. It is gorgeous. It just drives differently than any Donzis I have encountered.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Having spent a lot of time on the Great Lakes I can tell you that water was rougher than it looks!

Really cool video. Does anyone know how you stop the youtube clip and save the still as a picture? Those hulls look great.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Really cool video. Does anyone know how you stop the youtube clip and save the still as a picture? Those hulls look great.
    Hi Greg

I just went full screen mode

stop to still image and

took a screen shot

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Brad's got a sweet running 22. I don't remember if it is an 86 or 87, but it is an Alpha mated to a 454. It runs great. One of the best cruising Donzis I have ever been in. 47 mph @ 3,000 rpms. All day long. Effortlessly.

Jeff's (Bald Eagle) AE is about 10 mph faster, but can be a real handful. There must be some very big differences between those 2 hulls and set up. Jeff's boat requires a LOT of tab to have a chance of running flat. Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks. I'm not speaking negatively about Jeff's boat at all. It is gorgeous. It just drives differently than any Donzis I have encountered.
    Bill, that 22 sure is a great running boat. Do you know what he has for power? I was just in my boat 2 hours ago and I can manage exactly 36 mph at 3,000 rpm and I was all by my lonesome too. He must have some pitch and some power, mine is 24 pitch and pretty low hp at this point.

I don't doubt Carl, I'm sure that the conditions are definitely rougher than they look. It always looks much more tame on video!

Quote Originally Posted by HOWARD O View Post
    I don't doubt Carl, I'm sure that the conditions are definitely rougher than they look. It always looks much more tame on video!
    Looks pretty rough to me!

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I think a AE was trimmed out too much for conditions.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

It is a stock 454 Mercruiser. I don't know what the lower unit ratio is, or what he runs for a prop.

There have been discussions before about the 1986/87 classic 22s having a higher X-dimension. I don't know what his is, but it is a great running boat.

It seems I remember one outing last summer with 5 of us on board and 3/4 fuel and still hitting 64 gps mph.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

[quote=Just Say N20;582936]Jeff's (Bald Eagle) . Some very knowledgeable folks believe a shorty on that boat would cure most/all its handling quirks.quote]

Without question a 2" shortie fixes that problem from my recent experiences

Hope to be running along side you guys at some point next summer

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Count me in for a Lake Michigan run.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWARD O View Post
    Bill, that 22 sure is a great running boat. Do you know what he has for power? I was just in my boat 2 hours ago and I can manage exactly 36 mph at 3,000 rpm and I was all by my lonesome too. He must have some pitch and some power, mine is 24 pitch and pretty low hp at this point.
    Cool vid!

If I am not mistaken the "filming" boat is my old boat. I sold it to Brad back around 2000 or so. It was a cool little 22. Honey and Navy color. It does have the 454 alpha combo but was very reliable for me and I had no issues with it. I tried all sort of props on that boat but I could not beat the performance of the stock "unknown manufacturer" prop. The boat ran in the high 60's but tached really low rpms. I want say 4200 or so.....
    www.mwdonziclub.com

Thread Information