Thread: Tough day winterizing sunday

Tough day winterizing sunday

I thought it would take a couple of hours and it ended up about 5 hours to winterize my 496ho and change the drive lube.I did the engine oil last weekend and that was a bitch,as I had a hard time getting the oil off.Note to self,dont put the filter on too-tight.....Anyway I took the fuel filter/water sep. out and dumped it.I drained the sea pump+ and the blue starboard side drain fiiting was bad and so I had to run to the parts counter at jackson,s to get a new one.After that we ran anti-freeze into the sea pump and heat exchanger.I fogged the motor.Then I drained the lube out of the bravo-1.I used a plastic hand pump that screws into the qt lube bottles and of course it broke.I was able to finsh pumping the lube into the bravo drive by holding the broken part down.Lost a little bit off the lube doing that.what a mess.....

I have never tried this on a V8, but it worked on my Honda Magna motorcycle.

A previous owner had really reefed on the filter. An 84 year old neighbor, who used to work on big diesels said that if I ran the engine while I tried to loosen the filter, the oil pressure generated would make the task easier.

Sure enough, it loosened nicely. I shut the engine off, and removed the filter.

I hate to overlook the very important point that this is done before you drain the oil.

A bit more of a pain in a boat with limited space, moving belts, and the need for water. Just a thought.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Oil Filter

Great tip, it makes sense and I will try it next time before taking drastic measures!!!

Thanks.

Murray Adam

Interesting tip - worth a try before resorting to the big-a$$ clamp, the big-a$$ chan-L-locks, and finally the big-a$$ screwdriver-as-punch.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

fasttrucker, Outboards are easier, aren't they !!! HIGH LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH LIFE View Post
    fasttrucker, Outboards are easier, aren't they !!! HIGH LIFE
    Yep,...Treat the fuel,run the motor,fog,....and your done!

Thread Information