Thread: Nov. 13 and 14 Vintage Race Boats Roar and Soar

Nov. 13 and 14 Vintage Race Boats Roar and Soar

Nov. 13 and 14 is the annual Roar and Soar at Fantasy of Flight off I-4 in Polk City, FL.

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/roar-n-soar/

We will over 60 boats in the water doing exhibition laps at Lake Agnes located at Fantasy of Flight grounds. Various classes running will include Jersey Skiffs, Flatbottoms, Hydros, a Cigarette, Donzis, Allisons, etc.

While all these boats are cool, the vintage Hydros can't be beat.

In addition to the boats are the vintage airplanes, and a motorcycle and car show as well.

Please post pictures rustnrot, thanks

Had the Grand Daughter here this week end so I couldn't make it there. Please post pictures. I am going to mark it on my calender this week and I will not miss it next year!!!

I just returned last night from a great event. Kermit Weeks even tried out one of the hydros. I'm guessing he'll have one in the museum before long...

Since I was so busy I took very few pics. But Bill John does a heck of a job so go here for pics and more will be uploaded!

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/Roar&Soar-2010.htm

Any donzi's there??

I am sure if you saw a Donzi there you would have said so.
    Hope you had fun. I really wanted to come over for that show.

There were two Donzi's, both 18's and a To-Die-For 20 ft Cig that was detailed to the max owned by Phil Lipschultz. I would imagine pics of these will show up as they are posted on the link in my previous post.

I've mentioned the red and white 18 Donzi before...we've radar gunned it at around 88 or so on the course; owned by Lee Hildreth. The Cig Guy said his would go about 85. The Donzi was faster on our course. There was also a blue and white 18 Donzi that had a Scorpion Mercruiser, I think, in it, fellow by the name of Michael Matzok.

Some of the other non-hydro, non-Jersey-Skiff boats was an 18 Allison with twin outboards (one of the outboards blew on the first heat it was in). We also had Ken Warby, "The Fastest Man on the Water" --google him-- in his flatbottom as well as Duff Daily in a blown flattie that was the fastest boat there. There were also several Raveau outboards, an 18 Critchfield outboard, and a couple of mahogany Gentleman's Racers.

I hope to get my friend Mark there for the February CRA venue in Eustis, FL to bring his F14 Donzi. He's "raced" it before at a CRA even, even though it has a 3.0L Mercruiser in it. It's all about having fun.

Did Bill John bring down his "Obsession" ? He's from the same bay on Winni where my summer place is on the lake . .Wolfeboro. he runs an event up here every two years, in the fall on Winni, hope some day they let the Donzi's run here too!

Mario L.

Bill John was there with his wife, Geri, along with Donnie McLean. He did not bring a boat.

He did, as usual, take the most pics of anyone, link below.

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/Roar&Soar-2010.htm

We look forward to seeing him in the spring in FL in either or both our events in Feb. and March. I think he said he would bring Obsession to at least one of them.

Please send me a reminder!!

Please send me a wake up call on these events. I will be sure to be there this time with the Baby 14 in the water and running. I am getting real close to splash down!!

I will post here 2-3 weeks ahead of the shows. Also go to www.classicraceboatassoc.com for more information. Be sure and look over the rules before you come -- gotta have a helmet, lifejacket with leg straps, and a kill switch to name a few. Membership is also $25 annually. There is generally free or cheap motorhome parking near the events but this varies with the event and nearby construction devlopment activities taking up the space, especially in Tavares. There is a form you can download with the prices for the event, dinners, etc. on the website.

I hope to see you there. We generally have 2-3 Donzis per event but I'd like to see more.

Tom (Pit Guy) Lang

Dates are as follows. This post has been edited to delete a tentative show in Feb. that has been cancelled.

March 19-20, 2011
    Tavares Station Spring Fling
    Tavares, FL

Thread Information