Thread: Broken gimble ring on a 21z donzi

Broken gimble ring on a 21z donzi

I was waxing the lower unit and noticed my gimble ring cracked. I raised the lower unit to have a better look at it and it broke right in two. How long is was cracked, no idea. I didn't hit any thing but something must of got it.Anyways I got a used one on e-bay and now looking for a mechanic to install. To get the steering nut off the top of the gimble, holes must be drilled into each side of the housing or the engine has to be removed to get to the nut. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself ( dilling holes) but if i don't find a mechanic at a desent price I will give it a go. My question is this: has anyone done one before and how hard is it? I don't want to pay 80.00 bucks a hour times four/five hours to have it done if I can do it myself. Let me know if it's doable. Thanks, Jamie

mrfixxall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieZ View Post
    I was waxing the lower unit and noticed my gimble ring cracked. I raised the lower unit to have a better look at it and it broke right in two. How long is was cracked, no idea. I didn't hit any thing but something must of got it.Anyways I got a used one on e-bay and now looking for a mechanic to install. To get the steering nut off the top of the gimble, holes must be drilled into each side of the housing or the engine has to be removed to get to the nut. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself ( dilling holes) but if i don't find a mechanic at a desent price I will give it a go. My question is this: has anyone done one before and how hard is it? I don't want to pay 80.00 bucks a hour times four/five hours to have it done if I can do it myself. Let me know if it's doable. Thanks, Jamie
    If you have a y-pipe your engine needs to come out,its goin to be more then 4,5,6 hours in labor..more like 10-12 and more if they glued the transom in with 5200..Yhey can be a pain in the a$$ sonetimes..

Hi Jamie, I had that very same thing done to my Scarab a few years ago. I have an excellent Merc. Tech in the Chain of Lakes area. Let me know if you are anywhere near and I can hook you up. Best of luck
    I'm from an era when SBC only meant "small block chevy".

There can be so much labor involved that you might consider pulling the engine and doing it right.
    It might be easier in the long run.
    Then you can change the steering pins, etc.
    Also, there's a marine surplus store in Ft. Pierce, FL (can't remember the name) that sells new Bravo gimbal assemblies for about $1,200.00 on eBay.
    An example, when I rebuilt the gimbal on the TR
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=36
    I had a little over $1,000.00 in it w/all new parts, paint, but no labor.
    I think the new assembly is a bargain.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Jamie, I had that very same thing done to my Scarab a few years ago. I have an excellent Merc. Tech in the Chain of Lakes area. Let me know if you are anywhere near and I can hook you up. Best of luck
    Greg i dont think he wants to tow the boat all the way from canada,,

who is your tech??

joe,bill,pete,john,eric.donovin,dick?

The gimble ring for a Alpha drive was 125.00 on E-bay used and I purchased it. Brand new they are 730.00 up here in Canada which it totally insane by any measure, not much too them. I also bought the trim sender kit as well,mine was getting a little tired. I'm not pulling the engine. What most marina's do is just drill out 1 1/4 holes on the side of the unit to access the nut which has to be removed to drop the gimbal. Merc even sells a ''Plug Kit'' to plug the holes. Goofy way to do it but that's it. It's not uncommon to replace gimble rings when your steering gets sloppy. I just thought somebody on this forum would have done one. Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jamieZ View Post
    The gimble ring for a Alpha drive was 125.00 on E-bay used and I purchased it. Brand new they are 730.00 up here in Canada which it totally insane by any measure, not much too them. I also bought the trim sender kit as well,mine was getting a little tired. I'm not pulling the engine. What most marina's do is just drill out 1 1/4 holes on the side of the unit to access the nut which has to be removed to drop the gimbal. Merc even sells a ''Plug Kit'' to plug the holes. Goofy way to do it but that's it. It's not uncommon to replace gimble rings when your steering gets sloppy. I just thought somebody on this forum would have done one. Jamie
    Jamie, w/o pulling the engine, there is no way to change the ring w/o drilling the holes. It doesn't mean no one here hasn't drilled the holes.
    Pulling the engine is still the best way to do it.
    In fact, I have a tight pre Alpha gimbal assembly you can have for $50.00 plus shipping to Canada.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I did it on a TRS but drilled the holes. On a TRS tere is a needle bearing on the top of the upper swivle pin that you can f### up very easy. Don't know much about an Alpha.

http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthrea...?daysprune=365
    Wear 100% cotton or nothing at all
    '86 22-Classic 2+3
    '85 Criterion SS
    '84 Hornet III

Hi Fixx, My Tech is Michael Kurowski. He used to work at D,s Marine in McHenry (across the channel from Joey, T,s old place). If you want a contact # please let me know. Since we are a in the same area, we should all meet at the Fox Hole for a pizza some time. Shoot me a PM with your phone number. If we can't drive our boats at least we can talk about them. Greg
    I'm from an era when SBC only meant "small block chevy".

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi Fixx, My Tech is Michael Kurowski. He used to work at D,s Marine in McHenry (across the channel from Joey, T,s old place). If you want a contact # please let me know. Since we are a in the same area, we should all meet at the Fox Hole for a pizza some time. Shoot me a PM with your phone number. If we can't drive our boats at least we can talk about them. Greg
    Is he the littler guy that use to do work at the muitny pub(crazy kenny's place?)

I have my own shop and work on them too! A good friend of mine has a shop at nippersink and the fox inlet called Donovin's marine service,,rite next to the taco stand lol..

Just got a call from Gordon's Marine in Gananoque Ontario. I live on Howe Island, St. Lawrence River near Kingston Ontario. They have time next week to do the work at 25% off normal shop rates because the slow time is here for boat work in this area. I will drag the boat down this Friday and will let everybody know on the outcome. Summer will be here before you know it. Jamie

Here is a set of instructions for an alternative route for a Bravo, I would thinak an Alpha would be similar but don't know for sure.

Got the boat back Saturday past. Work all done. Looks good but got stung 1500.00. Eleven hours labour at 80.00 a hour and 500.00 in parts plus 13% GST . I supplied gimble ring and trim indicators. I needed a shift cable, assorted gaskets and bearings and bellows and boots. The boat is stored for the winter so it should be good to go in the spring. Jamie

Jammie , 80.00 an hour for shop rates in this day and age is well over the top considering most shops have lowered there rates to meet everybodys needs .

Not up here in Canada. Shop rates are 100.00 a hour at Auto Garages, Marina's etc. Now the mechanic working on your vehicle/boat doesn't make that. I would think he makes 18.00- 26.00 a hour. I know it sucks but to keep our welfare driven country ticking the money has to come from somewhere....

Thread Information