Thread: Engine cuts out

Engine cuts out

I've got a 1988 22' Donzi Classic with a 454/Bravo 1. It's a 25th Anniversary Edition that's in pretty fair original condition and runs well under 4000 rpm. Much over that and it intermittently starts to cut out like fuel starvation. I think it's a stock motor but has an Edelbrock intake and carb on it. I've replaced the Mercruiser screw-on cartridge fuel filter and it hasn't changed. My question is if anyone knows if there is a sock type fuel filter on the pick up tube in the fuel tank.

Lightbulb

I have an 86 I just pulled the fuel sender to get rid of some water, you can see the tip of the tube there is no screen. If you have the original fuel pump it may be getting weak, it is worth T-ing into the line before and after the pump to check both line vacuum and pump pressure. Kill two birds with one stone!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

also check the rock filter in the fuel inlet of the carberator.

If its a afp style carberator then the top of the carb needs to come off and under the needle and seats theirs a tiny screen that needs to be cleaned,,thease will restrict the fuel flow and drain the float bowls..

My vote is for a new fuel pump.
    GeneD
    Formerly of Melbourne, Florida
    Permanent Resident of St. Petersburg, Florida
    1966 Classic 18-2+3

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDog View Post
    I've got a 1988 22' Donzi Classic with a 454/Bravo 1. It's a 25th Anniversary Edition that's in pretty fair original condition and runs well under 4000 rpm. Much over that and it intermittently starts to cut out like fuel starvation. I think it's a stock motor but has an Edelbrock intake and carb on it. I've replaced the Mercruiser screw-on cartridge fuel filter and it hasn't changed. My question is if anyone knows if there is a sock type fuel filter on the pick up tube in the fuel tank.
    secondaries may be clogged or not opening. Most likely dirty float bowls from ethanol. Edel's are super simple to clean.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I had similar symptoms when I first acquired my boat. One of the things Buiz told me to do was to remove the checkball and spring from the gas tank fitting elbow. Mine turned out to be carb related and I didn't have the checkball, but just throwing that out there to add to your list.

Thread Information