Thread: Exhaust Y-pipe, Q&Q question....

Exhaust Y-pipe, Q&Q question....

I stuck the engine in temporarily, fitted the exhaust, and ran into this problem!
    As you can see in picture #2, either the down tails are too long, or I bought the wrong Y-pipe!
    I need some input.
    The Q&Q came from a Blackhawk ( I don't think that should be much of an issue), and the Y-pipe supposedly came from a 496.
    I have to assume the Q&Q fit the Y-pipe on the Blackhawk, so it may be the wrong Y-pipe. The Y-pipe width seems to be correct, but maybe too tall.
    If this is the wrong Y-pipe, and it did come from a 496, what model should I be looking for?

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

G, Looks lie the QQ came from a boat that had the 3'' taller riser,do they seen to be 3'' taller then the center of the riser? i would just get a 1/8'' cutoff wheel for your 4 1/2'' grinder from home depot and trim them to fit..I have run into similar problems in the past on thease things and had to trim them so they fit..

if you have a stock manifold and riser i bet they will fit but it wont line up with the tip,,the stock riser is taller and the pipes you have on the gill's, you have a manifold hugger style riser..you will have to trom them so they fit properly with what you have..its ok for the end of the riser to fit into the inside of the QQ and you may have to trim the riser end also to do so everything lines up properly..

Install the tips last

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    G, Looks lie the QQ came from a boat that had the 3'' taller riser,do they seen to be 3'' taller then the center of the riser? i would just get a 1/8'' cutoff wheel for your 4 1/2'' grinder from home depot and trim them to fit..I have run into similar problems in the past on thease things and had to trim them so they fit..

if you have a stock manifold and riser i bet they will fit but it wont line up with the tip,,the stock riser is taller and the pipes you have on the gill's, you have a manifold hugger style riser..you will have to trom them so they fit properly with what you have..its ok for the end of the riser to fit into the inside of the QQ and you may have to trim the riser end also to do so everything lines up properly..

Install the tips last
    I think you're probably right.
    I just marked them, and it will take just about 3" to clear.
    Another question;
    the down tail goes from round to oval in shape to mate to the Y-pipe.
    Can I just flatten the end where I cut it off to make it a little more oval?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

It seems most of the new boats are coming with those taller risers. I am not sure what the reason is because I never really saw them on older boats.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I think you're probably right.
    I just marked them, and it will take just about 3" to clear.
    Another question;
    the down tail goes from round to oval in shape to mate to the Y-pipe.
    Can I just flatten the end where I cut it off to make it a little more oval?

G, if you make them oval they will become round again when you put the clamp's on it because where its welded its round..i think you may end up using a piece of 3 1/2'' softwall hose for the lower part.. or a 3 1/2'' to 4'' adaptor.

here's what you need..
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...pes-bravo.html

There is a round to oval rubber adaptor, I might have a couple George, let me have a look....worse comes to worse you can get them from Merc I believe....

Thread Information