Thread: spark plug indexing

spark plug indexing

Anyone ever tried indexing sparkplugs on a Mercruiser 502 and found any performance increase? Anyone found any performance in different brands of plugs - say NGK vs. Champion?
    Dr. d

Lightbulb

Indexing has been around for a long time, some seem to get results other say not worth it. Plugs makes can be like props! Many people including me like NGK's but in my 383 they don't stay as clean as AC MR43T's, but in two of my road toys they did very well. If you have the time try the indexing may work for you same thing with the plugs.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Ignorant Here

What is plug indexing..? ...
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

plug indexing

Somewhere in the exploration of what happens in the internal combustion engine someone started playing around with spark plug placement - and found more horsepower - angled spark plugs that don't go directly into the engine etc. - and "indexing" which is the select fitting of sparkplugs to get the gap pointed down, or open to the intake charge - etc. And they found more power - on the dyno.

By adding up little improvements you are in effect "tuning" the engine. Some of these things work and some don't - usually on a site like this someone has tried just about everything. Searching ways to run faster - Its is a fair question.
    Dr. d

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. David Fleming View Post
    Somewhere in the exploration of what happens in the internal combustion engine someone started playing around with spark plug placement - and found more horsepower - angled spark plugs that don't go directly into the engine etc. - and "indexing" which is the select fitting of sparkplugs to get the gap pointed down, or open to the intake charge - etc. And they found more power - on the dyno.

By adding up little improvements you are in effect "tuning" the engine. Some of these things work and some don't - usually on a site like this someone has tried just about everything. Searching ways to run faster - Its is a fair question.

not worth doing unless you have higher compression,, like 14 to 1..

want cheep power install a set of 1.8 roller rockers..

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    What is plug indexing..? ...
    in other words its when all the spark plugs are all lined up in the same position with the exhaust valve is the way we use to do it..theirs special copper washers that go on the sealing edge of the spark plugs to get them all in the same position,,its time consuming.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...stallation.asp

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    in other words its when all the spark plugs are all lined up in the same position with the exhaust valve is the way we use to do it..theirs special copper washers that go on the sealing edge of the spark plugs to get them all in the same position,,its time consuming.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...stallation.asp

I was wondering how you could get a proper torque on the plug and get them aligned too...copper washers are collapsible? I'm just going to get my plugs to proper torque and that's good enough for me. I do put anti seize on the threads.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

I have to agree w/Fix.
    It don't mak a lot of difference.
    There have been some exceptions though. In some very early engines, when C/R's were in the 4:1, or 5:1, a lot of time was spent on sparkplug locations, also multiple sparkplugs. Some early Sterling marine engines had as many as six plugs per cylinder. Also, some early automotive and truck engines had valve access plugs in their "non-detachable" heads. Sparkplugs were sometimes mounted into these plugs, so that a person could mount the plug over the intake valve or over the exhaust valve. I've spoken to some owners who said there was a difference in performance.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information