Thread: Help finding drain plug

Help finding drain plug

The service manual for my 350 MAG says there is a coolant (water) drain plug on the hydraulic steering cooler, but I can't find it. Any hints?

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The service manual for my 350 MAG says there is a coolant (water) drain plug on the hydraulic steering cooler, but I can't find it. Any hints?
    if its the one mounted on the back of the engine their is not one,,just pull the large hose and blow it out with air..

Yes, that sounds like it, thanks. I will do that. It seemed to me that the fuel cooler drain would get most if not all of the water out of the steering cooler. This is the first time winterizing on my own, and I want to be sure I get it right. I have winterized Sea Doos and outboards, but not an inboard.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Yes, that sounds like it, thanks. I will do that. It seemed to me that the fuel cooler drain would get most if not all of the water out of the steering cooler. This is the first time winterizing on my own, and I want to be sure I get it right. I have winterized Sea Doos and outboards, but not an inboard.
    as a caution i run antifreeze through all the hoses and lines and engine..
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc[/media]

All power steering applications have a cooler, many are at the rear but some are tucked in next to the engine down low on the port side just ahead of the oil filter adapter like mine. Follow the intake hose you will find it it.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    All power steering applications have a cooler, many are at the rear but some are tucked in next to the engine down low on the port side just ahead of the oil filter adapter like mine. Follow the intake hose you will find it it.

Phil
    mop he knows theirs a cooler but he cant find the 1/8'' npt pipe plug in the cooler.

Right. The engine block, manifolds, and fuel cooler all had blue plastic plugs. Don't think the steering cooler has one. I can't see under it, but going by feel I can't find one.

I was thinking about running antifreeze but I already put oil in the cylinders and I don't want to do that again. It shouldn't be necessary if I do this right. I had a couple boats at a marina for years, and they always just drained everything. I thought about just running antifreeze only, no draining, but from what I read the antifreeze might not get in all the internal passages and you need to insure that the thermostat opens or remove it i suppose. I guess this is a choice like fuel tank layup - full or empty or otherwise. Different ways to do it, each of which has pros and cons but probably works.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    as a caution i run antifreeze through all the hoses and lines and engine..
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc[/media]
    That's quite a setup you have.

My 454 has a blue petcock drain on the fuel cooler where Mop suggested, but I never remove it. It is easier and faster to remove the hose.

Ken

Thread Information