Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

Need Advice

I have found a 1976 Donzi "Sweet 16" (Baby 16?) that is for sale ... listed at $4500. While NADA.com lists the average retail of this boat at just under $900, there seems to have been a good deal of work done to this boat in the recent past.

The description says it has: "A NEW V8 ENGINE AND A 1983 GALVANIZED ROLLER TRAILER. THIS BOAT HAS BEEN BUILT FROM THE STRINGERS UP. tHE BOAT HAS NEW FUEL TANK, NEW WIRE HARNESS, REBUILT ALPHA ONE GEN TWO OUTDRIVE, NEW TRANSOM, BILGE PUMP, BLOWER, STEERING, CABLES, FRESH WATER FLUSH KIT. THE BOAT RUNS GREAT AND VERY FAST THE INTERIOR IS GOOD BUT NEEDS TO BE PAINTED TO FINISH OFF. THE BOAT IS EQUIPPED WITH AM/FM, FIRE EXSTING, FULL GAUGES, ANCHOR..."

Is $4500 a rip, or do the above items make this a price worth paying?

I am new to the idea of owning a Donzi, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's a deal . . .

buyer's market

On boats like Donzi classics NADA, Blue Book etc. are pretty useless. They seem to value Donzi like almost any other boat based on age.

If the boat has had all the work done (well/correctly) that is claimed, it could be worth in the neighborhood of $6,500+.

I paid $5,000 for a 1967 Ski-Sporter 16 that had none of those upgrades, 2 years ago.

It is very hard to put a dollar value on a boat without seeing it in person.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thanks for the replies so far ...

I know photos would help, so here are the photos posted for the sale.

Is it?

Looks like a fairly decent deal to me....assuming that all of that mechanical work has indeed been done, seller is correct that it seems to just need some aesthetic work to be a really nice boat. If you don't want to spend on paint right now, get the buffer out and you can even just use marine striping tape to fix the small side stripes on the front deck ( Jamestown Distributors or similar ). Looks like it could be a good "drivin" boat in any case....
    Oledawg
    Raconteur, bon vivant, curmudgeon
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC
    - Heart of the Uwharrie Mountains

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

'87 Correct Craft Riviera "Oledawg" - 454 PCM ( "cruzin" boat )

"A man without a boat is a prisoner" - Faronese proverb

Mark

Just so you know, there is no need to post the same questions in three different areas. Pick the appropriate forum and post there. The board is not that big and it will get seen by most no matter what area it is in.
    A lot of members will just hit the 'New Posts' link in the top banner, each time they return and all the new posts from the last time they were here will show up. So they don't have to search around for new stuff.

Good luck with your search and welcome aboard. Hope you find a good deal.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Let the newbie slide we all post in funny places! The boat will need tabs, left hand steering and a right hand prop will have leaning over to the left all time. $4,500 looks like a pretty good deal, they are a fun boat I would go for it. Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Tabs

MOP > 100% correct on the tabs on this boat.....haven't priced any lately but thinking basic Bennetts $600 - $750?
    Oledawg
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

Quote Originally Posted by markleddy View Post

The description says it has: "A NEW V8 ENGINE AND A 1983 GALVANIZED ROLLER TRAILER. THIS BOAT HAS BEEN BUILT FROM THE STRINGERS UP. tHE BOAT HAS NEW FUEL TANK, NEW WIRE HARNESS, REBUILT ALPHA ONE GEN TWO OUTDRIVE, NEW TRANSOM, BILGE PUMP, BLOWER, STEERING, CABLES, FRESH WATER FLUSH KIT. THE BOAT RUNS GREAT AND VERY FAST THE INTERIOR IS GOOD BUT NEEDS TO BE PAINTED TO FINISH OFF. THE BOAT IS EQUIPPED WITH AM/FM, FIRE EXSTING, FULL GAUGES, ANCHOR..."
    all this for just 4500? It is a buyers market

I bought some Bennett tabs online for $428 for my 16.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The boat will need tabs, left hand steering and a right hand prop will have leaning over to the left all time.
    I expected this situation way back in 1982 when I converted my left hand steering and Eaton drive to a right hand Alpha on my 16'. (of course, the steering is still on the left)
    With the original factory setup the boat would ride, for the most part, level with only the driver. With the driver and 1 passenger on the right, the boat would, slightly, lean to the right.
    After the conversion to right hand Alpha, as expected, the boat did lean slightly to the left but with a passenger on the right it was mostly level. Being that I usually had someone with me, the boat actually exibited a little more pleasurable level ride than it had originally.
    I never bothered adding trim tabs even though I expected that I would need to.
    "1978" F-22; Turbo'd & Intercooled.

Tabs?

Tabs......Good
    Oledawg
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC

margo Guest

margo

Go for it

I would jump on it,some wetsanding and buffing it will look new..

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin275 View Post
    It's a deal . . .
    buyer's market
    Quote Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
    all this for just 4500? It is a buyers market
    YUP !

The guy has a lot more money in it then he is selling it for.Trust me I know.Buy it

Thread Information