Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New life for C16B67.....deck off restoration...

Carbo, what glass shop? AFR?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Maybe the glass shop has a big fish scale that they can weigh the deck with. I'm hankerin to see what a factory deck that is in good shape weighs
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

OK...update. I got the boat back from the guy who did the transom. I am mostly happy with the job. There are a few things I am going to add. He felt the transom will be strong enough (and it is solid!) but I am going to add some internal braces to it. I have to grind the gel out in the areas where the deck tabs to the hull.

He did the whole transom and added flat side areas on either side. He ground and reglassed all the bulkheads and added two extra braces on each side from the stringers out. He repaired the top lip all around where the top cap attaches. And he gelled the whole thing.

The gas tank and grab rail are done. Yesterday I removed the Para-lift motor and replaced the wire going to it with 10/2 ancor.....the old wire had deteriorated and insulation was 1/2 off. The para-lift works great now. I am learning to use West System epoxy and have started repairs to the rear transom well hatches. The wood around the hinges was soft. The prior owner had also taken the floor well out......cut the bottom off and done the worst job making it 5" deeper. They never ground the area so I just peeled the terrible glass work off, and am reglassing it back to the way it was.....

I am also filling holes and patching things on the top deck. The gas tank fits nice and actually should hold maybe 29 usable gallons......external dimensions show total at 31 gallons.....Now to decide on primer/prep before installing it. There are many opinions on this. I do know I will use some closed cell foam to secure it in the proper position in small areas around it. It will not get the entire area foamed. I am also not happy leaving it a sealed area, I am going to allow the area to drain aft. Right now it is sealed and holds water.

Now for some pics, And yes Greg I will weigh the deck before it goes on. Still a long way off.

C16B67 My "baby"
    2012 World Cat 320EC 4.2L V6 F300 Yamahas

Thanks Carbo. Are you planning on using the Paralift? What power are you using?

Para-lift for sure is going on there. Power is not for sure yet......I did buy a 2000 20" OX66 Yamaha 150 last week but I could go same model in a 225 for the same weight.....4 stroke too heavy in any model powerful enough. I am very anti-Mercury for reliability issues. I have been let down by far too many Mercs to ever use one. Sorry to the Merc lovers out there. I'm thinking OX66 Vmax 200 Yammy may do the trick.....I may start with the 150 and swap motors to more HP after.....depends how this 150 is......it sat for a long while and needs some work. Needed a HP pump in the VST but I had one lying around...it has seen some water run through the inj system and may need more work and I am not sure I could trust it. We'll see. More to come.
    C16B67 My "baby"

I see that you have the 500lb Paralift versus the 450 which is good. Be sure to swap out the existing bolts with a new set of Grade 8's. That is the week spot on those lifts. Can't beat the reliability of the Yamaha. I assume when you say Yamaha 150 that it is the 2.6L Ox66 Vmax EFI 20" ? If that is your start then you could use the 12" setback of the Paralift but a coned low water pickup will be a must on that motor. That Paralift is heavy (70+lbs?) so expect spidering especially if you intend on trailering. Keep the pictures coming

The Para-lift weighs 62.5 lbs........

Yes on the motor, 2.6l ox66 efi 150......"if" I use it. It is a 2000 model but not a VMax. Just a saltwater series II. It is model sx150TLRY.

I just looked at your picture and see the bolts you are talking about.....I will do it. Have you had good luck on your paralift?
    C16B67 My "baby"

I don't need it with my set up but still keep the actual Paralift in my garage for a rainy day as they are tough to find, especially in the slightly beafier 500lb capacity. These boats are heavy, if the Ox66 150 is "free" then start with it, but you'll find that 150 is low to move the hull along. I guess the bigger question is once you rig the boat for one vendor or another you have to stay with there product line so keep that in mind. Yamaha would give you 2.6L Ox66 but the 3.1L is tooooooo heavy especially the way that transom is set up. One Yammie option to consider is what Buizilla has with that rare 90's Baby. 2.6L 150 TRP (Duoprop) that really makes 170 and could be brought to 195-200 with a tiny trip to HydroTec. That really intrigues me for the round bottom hull. If you go old school Johnson, a nice option is the 225 HO from 1999-2000 vintage. You can find them clean for $4500 ish and they make 247hp and are a cool color. They are rare though and really rare freshwater. Its all a compromise between intended use and budget as you know.

Well the 150 wasn't free. I gave $1k for it but could resell it and get my money back in a day. I saw one of those 150 trp duoprops the other day and the was wondering how it would do......funny you mentioned the big Johnson also. I have a lot of experience with the V4 V6 loopers. They have their common problems but are not bad motors.

these weights seem right?
    sx150 444lbs
    sx200 444 lbs
    johnson 225 450lbs
    johnson 175 370......seems light? (60 degree)

Love to see a 350lb 225.......
    C16B67 My "baby"

No such thing as a 350lb 225HP OB I'm afraid. If you don't care for Mercury that narrows down the field even more. It sounds to me like you are building more of a cruiser. If that is accurate, and considering that the factory hull of the 16 OB loves to dance, I can't imagine a better option then the Yamaha 150 TRP especially if you are set on using the Paralift. The TRP gives you a good gearcase and lwp, its decent on fuel because of the Ox66 and there is more to be had if you want. I'd call Hydrotec and see what they might have hanging around. With a tweek or 3, you would have a 87 octane 200hp motor that would probably give you a rock solid 65mph at WOT. Props will cost a bit more to maintain but for a cruiser build, not seeing anything better. I also think that TRP gives you an 18" mid but that you would have to check that. If that is true, that means you would have a little lower center of gravity for the powerhead which would also help the chine walking. I'd sell the current motor and go TRP. Maybe Buizilla will let you take a peek at his TRP. I would have run it for a day or two before tearing the hull apart, to get a feel for the motor and hull together.

Next step up for performance only would be the Johnson 225 HO but you would want to pin the carrier and go lwp. Then the ETEC 200 small block but probably does not fit the budget. From there for performance only you are into Merc's. Not as many options out there as we would all like.

That TRP would be a great choice. Seems like they are hard to come by though. I am going to continue moving forward with everything else on the boat....I am a long way from actually hanging the motor. I will hold off on buying gauges and a control for a while and keep my options open for now. I have a lot of things to do to get to a rigging point anyway. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep the pics coming!
    C16B67 My "baby"

It will take you 3-6 months to find a clean TRP so you'd need to start poking around now to have something ready for a ways out. I guess the good news is this time of year is perfect for engine hunting. The bass guys will start posting motors and it would be great to find a freswater TRP. The 2.6L Yamaha is not light at 444lbs but not much is anymore! 65MPH on GPS and no chine walk would make for a fun and user friendly ride. Buizilla might sell you his TRP, I think he has a new 225X sitting in a box for the last several years that I suspect he'll want to rig on his 16 Baby. Might be worth a PM or three .......good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    It will take you 3-6 months to find a clean TRP so you'd need to start poking around now to have something ready for a ways out. I guess the good news is this time of year is perfect for engine hunting. The bass guys will start posting motors and it would be great to find a freswater TRP. The 2.6L Yamaha is not light at 444lbs but not much is anymore! 65MPH on GPS and no chine walk would make for a fun and user friendly ride. Buizilla might sell you his TRP, I think he has a new 225X sitting in a box for the last several years that I suspect he'll want to rig on his 16 Baby. Might be worth a PM or three .......good luck
    the ProMax ain't mine anymore.. and it's going on another 16 OB... at some point in this century anyway...
    I *think* my TRP weighs about 420 as advertised, but might actually be heavier than advertised due to the weight of the second prop and extended driveshaft and wider cav plate, so the 444 could be right... I do know we are taking substantial transom precautions.... I never did try it *as bought* because you could watch the transom move 3/8" of an inch just bouncing the engine off the travel stops by hand
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Interesting Jim, I guess these 16 OB Baby's are popping up here, there, and everywhere! I had forgotten that the "other" factory 95 hull was the one getting the 225X power. If he ever wants to sell that X motor have him contact me.

Now, on your 16 OB Baby, don't be shy about the size of the knees to the transom. Here is a pic of the 8" knees on The Mule. This is the way to do it if you do not want to re-work the entire splashwell like I am on Surface Tension.

Greg, please email me a pic of where the Sea Star hose broke

thanx
    1955 Perfect Mate

www.donzi.org

Thread Information