Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shelby controls

Shelby controls

I just purchased a 2006 Shelby with the standard Mercruiser control (not the high performance controls). The controls I have look like the more traditional side flush mount single lever control with the small button in the middle at the mount piviot point which you push to put into neutral. I was reading in the owner's manual that the engine is DTS. I just assumed this standard control is cable to the engine and drive. Is this true or is it a "fly by wire" digital control?

I want to change to the racing controls which came standard in later shelby models. Anyone familiar with these controls I currently have??

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

all you have to do is look at the engine and look for cables...with it being a merc drive it should have them tho..

shelby controls

Yes, I know but the boat is in NC and I'm in FL. I won't have it here for couple of weeks.

Your boat has the standard control cables, that is the easy part.

You will have to totally remake your side combing pad to accommodate the
    dual lever control.

You will need a side mount throttle pod and then try to
    have the pad re-covered to match the rest of the vinyl.
    Thats the hard part.

I would leave well enough alone if I were you.

Not worth butchering up a nice rare factory boat.
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

Controls

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.....
    Oledawg
    Raconteur, bon vivant, curmudgeon
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC
    - Heart of the Uwharrie Mountains

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

'87 Correct Craft Riviera "Oledawg" - 454 PCM ( "cruzin" boat )

"A man without a boat is a prisoner" - Faronese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post

I would leave well enough alone if I were you.

Not worth butchering up a nice rare factory boat.
    Yep! You have bought a rare boat. The problem with owning a rare boat (or anything), is you are destroying it when you start customizing it. That would be like taking an original Shelby Cobra and customizing the car to suit your fancy.

I believe that when you own something as unique as your boat, you are just holding on to it until the next owner has the pleasure of owning it. Just like a Shelby Cobra, a priceless painting, etc.

Do with it what you want, you do own it, but you cant expect to sell the boat as an original Shelby if you start changing stuff on it.

I personally like the "race controls" or dual levers with the pod, but if it were me, and I had your exact boat, I would keep it all stock and enjoy the one of a kind artwork that you now own. There isnt another boat like it in the world. Not even hull #008.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

I hate the single lever control, would go to a dual lever in about a minute...don't matter if it is a rare boat or not. It is much, much better to handle!!!

I'd look at the livorsi side mount setup. Looks nice, will match the gauges, and is plug and play Vs. adding the side pod and all the headaches that go along with it.

Do what you want. These boats do not appreciate in value anyway. Having said that though, IMO, the later Shelby dual levers have an unsightly "add-on" look to them and I'd stick with the single lever. It's also easier to use.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thumbs up

I have a 22C with the Volvo DPX package... love the package- hated the shifter. Docking could be embarrassing sometimes. I recently had a Dana 2 stick side mount shifter installed and docking is now MUCH less stressful. The mounting plate fit perfectly over the hole and no modifications to the pad were required. Looks like the boat came with it. The colour of the base plate matches exactly the colour of the bezels on the Gaffrig guages. Not only does it work well... it looks great!!
    I kept the old Volvo shifter so that if I ever sell the boat it can go to the new owner.
    Down side??? It wasn't cheap.

Imho

Simple is always good
    Oledawg
    Raconteur, bon vivant, curmudgeon
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC
    - Heart of the Uwharrie Mountains

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

'87 Correct Craft Riviera "Oledawg" - 454 PCM ( "cruzin" boat )

"A man without a boat is a prisoner" - Faronese proverb

Look up Blake Sullivan or search his threads. He did a real good job on his.

Never mind. I found it.

The new pod
    Attached Thumbnails
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Bet you can get the vinyl part here I think the do the interiors for Donzi http://www.ppi-fl.com/

Thanks Scott, I ordered my pod from CP performance it was cheap roughly 160 and ordered my shifter from them as well. I then took a picture of the shelby panel and had my interior guy make a new panel and adapted the pod so it doesn't look like a patch job or add on. I really like have the twin controls. I had the Livrosi side mounted throttle and didn't care to much for it and for the price of the dana system it wasn't much more to build the pod. Thanks Blake

Shelby controls

If mine are the standard cable controls, I'm still not clear if these existing controls are DTS or cable from shifter to engine/drive unit. Anyone know?

Thread Information