Thread: Block Pressure Testing Questions???????

Question Block Pressure Testing Questions???????

After installing a larger oil cooler I am having trouble getting the oil up to temp to burn off moisture. Getting some condensation in the valve covers (no water in oil).

I am holding 11#s. Is that enough to check? How long?

THANKS!
    riggerb@aol.com
    1995 22 Classic

Quote Originally Posted by RickR View Post
    After installing a larger oil cooler I am having trouble getting the oil up to temp to burn off moisture. Getting some condensation in the valve covers (no water in oil).

I am holding 11#s. Is that enough to check? How long?

THANKS!

Get a Earls performance oil thermastat.

Worked great for me///
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Quote Originally Posted by Trueser View Post
    Get a Earls performance oil thermastat.
    I agree.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

mrfixxall Guest

Thanks for the suggestions but there is no room for a thermostat due to mounting the cooler under the port exhaust on the 22 Classic.
    Condensation is normally not a problem, but because of some back issues this summer I have done a lot of cruising with very little WOT.

Engine will hold 11#s for 15 minutes but then it gradually leaks down to 0#s overnight.

SOOOOO, should I fill the block with water, put pressure on it, and see if it is external or internal?

I suspect intake gaskets, BUT, my saltwater heads are 15 years old w/1200 hours. 300 hours since the 502 build.

Is there flourescent die available to use with water?
    How much pressure?

Any tech tips?

THANKS!
    riggerb@aol.com
    1995 22 Classic

not sure what your looking for here? is there water in the oil after the overnight leakdown?? the water will go to the bottom of the pan and will be first to drain if it is..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Buz
    I have not found notice any discoloration on the dipstick or when changing oil but when looking in the oil fill on the valve cover there has been condensation (brown oil/ moisture). I do not know if the valve cover moisture was from condensation or a internal leak?

I have just now started testing. Last night, with the block mostly drained off of water, I lost 11#s air pressure overnight.

Today I plan a leak down test with the block full of water so I can check if I have an internal or external leak.

On the 22 I cannot get to the oil pan drain plug so I will have to pull the intake if I have an internal leak.
    riggerb@aol.com
    1995 22 Classic

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by RickR View Post
    Buz
    I have not found notice any discoloration on the dipstick or when changing oil but when looking in the oil fill on the valve cover there has been condensation (brown oil/ moisture). I do not know if the valve cover moisture was from condensation or a internal leak?

I have just now started testing. Last night, with the block mostly drained off of water, I lost 11#s air pressure overnight.

Today I plan a leak down test with the block full of water so I can check if I have an internal or external leak.

On the 22 I cannot get to the oil pan drain plug so I will have to pull the intake if I have an internal leak.

you will have condensation @ the pcv hole and the oil fill in the valve covers,more commin with cooler air tempetures and cooler water's..

and yes you can get @ the drain plug or get one of the little guys to get in their and do it

Thread Information