Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Its a movement

Its a movement

Hi, I have been lurking here for sometime now. It is time to come out of the boat house.
    I have emailed “Just say N2O” seeing that he is being pained the same way I am. Yes I have a 67 Ski Sporter. Unlike Bill this is my second time around with this boat! In 1990 I had it with the 351 Cleveland that was in it so I replaced it with a 351 Windsor. Other than moving the exhaust and painting the bottom I did very little to her. I ran the you know what out of her for 3 years then built a house. Meaning to get back to the Donzi but life got it the way… IT’S TIME! She came out from under the deck in July and into the garage. I started to work on it the weekend after Labor Day.

I have owned this boat since 1985. I bought it from a guy who had no idea what he had. I spent all my summers on the Niantic River living right next to a house with TWO Donzis (18’2-3 and a 16 Ski Sporter) I know what it is!

Previous owners have hacked it and smashed it. My goal is to make it the best it can be… During the 1990 repower I found that the engine mounts had ruined the stringers so I dropped back and punted and put engine beds in it. This I might revisit…

Anyway, Hi again and HELP!!!

Bill DiFrancesco

The new image is to day, the rest are 1990...

Welcome!
    I guess you have lots of company here.
    Probably lots of advice too.
    Have fun!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

2landseers, nice to see another 16 being brought back. You'll have a lot of input from those of us restoring 16's and get to use the "search" function a lot.

Keep the pics coming and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 2landseers View Post

I have owned this boat since 1995. I bought it from a guy who had no idea what he had. I spent all my summers on the Niantic River living right next to a house with TWO Donzis (18’2-3 and a 16 Ski Sporter) I know what it is!
    I think he meant he has owned it since 1985.

He has the advantage of an overhead lift, and a heated space to work in. Yes, I would be jealous .
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

you are right! it was 1985, I told you I dont type...

How about some brand info on that overhead lift? I could use one of those babies in the garage.

Sorry Greg, the cran is a product of my mine when I have too much time on my hands. So is the rest of the toybox, I mean garage...
    Here are some better non cell phone photos...

Well that certainly must come in very handy.........

Engine out yet?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

Not yet, Life got in the way the last two days. I think i am going to play with the engine in the boat to see how much work it needs before I pull it. I am planning to close loop the cooling system so I need to make some measurements to get that to work.. Does anyone know where I can get a heat exchanger? I can make the expansion tank...

When I bought my boat it had closed cooling. I am not going to use it. If you can use it, you are welcome to it. My engine is a 350 Chevy, so you will probably need a different T-stat housing.

I will take a couple pictures of it tonight.

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

Here's a short discussion on my TR thread about closed cooling systems.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=25
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

All good info, and I know you have recommended I keep the system on my boat. I believe that everything you say is true about closed loop systems.

I decided not to use it because I have no intentions of using this in saltwater.

The engine compartment in a 16 is already very full, and the heat exchanger/hoses made access all that much more difficult.

I have had great success running 160º thermostats in 5 previous boats (4 * 350 Chevys, 1 * 283 Chevy, 1 * 300 Hercules, 2 * 454 Chevys), all without closed loop cooling, so it would be fixing a problem I have never had.

My new engine is a simple 350 Chevy with pretty standard internals, and a Holly 4 bbl carb. No fancy anything (except the yellow paint ) so I am not looking to squeeze the last mph out of it.

Sorry for the HI-JACK.

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

I am going for the closed loop to keep sand out of the block... I ran this boat in some shallow water and when I was flushing the engine, I ended up with sand on the pavement... NOT GOOD...

Thread Information