Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EMI, Stainless Marine or HITEK

EMI, Stainless Marine or HITEK

anyone knows pro-and-cons for these headers/risers: Emi Thunder (alu), Stainless marine or the Hitek (one-piece header/risers, stainless steel)? CMIs are not available at reasonable prices at the moment.

Engine is a 260hp 350 sbc.

I don't know if you are rigged or not with holes in the transom and exactly which EMI's you are looking at but for some reason the aftermarket exhaust systems all seem a bit wider than stock so the holes don't line up right.

SM have a round coupling on the riser so you can twist it some. They should be the easiest to install if the holes are in the transom already.

If they aren't, the EMI's I had were great. I seem to remember a complaint with SM in regards to spark plug changes that the EMI's don't have a problem with.

I don't have experience with HiTek other than knowing they look goofy.

You just can't go wrong with Stainless Marine
    Pricey but you get what you pay for.
    Several members have then including me

Poodle on .org sells them...................Ed

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    I don't know if you are rigged or not with holes in the transom and exactly which EMI's you are looking at but for some reason the aftermarket exhaust systems all seem a bit wider than stock so the holes don't line up right.

SM have a round coupling on the riser so you can twist it some. They should be the easiest to install if the holes are in the transom already.

If they aren't, the EMI's I had were great. I seem to remember a complaint with SM in regards to spark plug changes that the EMI's don't have a problem with.

I don't have experience with HiTek other than knowing they look goofy.
    rigging is no problem for all of them, lots of space in my gt. I can get a good deal on the EMIs (see pic), almost new for 1150$, but wonder if they are as good as the stainless marines. I agree with the hitek- they look strange, but what about the performance? Anybody tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    You just can't go wrong with Stainless Marine
    Pricey but you get what you pay for.
    Several members have then including me

Poodle on .org sells them...................Ed
    Ed, did you notice a difference after installing the Stainless compared to standard?

it isn't so much the space in the engine room, it is the alignment between the engine and the transom. If your holes are already in the transom, setup for a stock exhaust, then you may have a problem. On some boats certain aftermarket exhaust line right up. Others will be off.

Mine, stock to EMI with the stainless long tail, the tails were wider at the transom by a good half inch. It doesn't sound like much but the rubber exhaust hose is tough as nails and wouldn't go on so I had to get the blue silicone hose with a hump for bends and those barely worked.

As far as power, Grizz said SM is the best. However, with that engine, you are only looking at minimal HP gains regardless of system.

I've had EMI's on mine for about 4 years now, no problems, but I didn't notice any significant power gains either.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

SM on my 6.2 320HP and noticed an increase of about 80 rpm wihich isnt much gain on the top end, did notice better fuel economy, if your installing them strictly for a performance gain I think on your engine unless you plan on doing other upgrades I'd say save the $$ and put more gas in the tank and enjoy your boat more, just my .02 Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

On a 260 you may lose some bottom and mid range performance, headers alone without other modifications are nothing more than Bling! Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I have now had both, SM and EMI.....no noticable difference in performance with either, sound is better... IMO SM is better quality and finish and as Ed said, you get what you pay for......having said that, if you can get that set of EMI pictured for just over a G note, I would say go for it......

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
    rigging is no problem for all of them, lots of space in my gt. I can get a good deal on the EMIs (see pic), almost new for 1150$, but wonder if they are as good as the stainless marines. I agree with the hitek- they look strange, but what about the performance? Anybody tried them?

those are emi manifolds but the risers are not emi's,they look to be merc's 496 ho risers. i have emi's om my x for the last 10 yrs..no issues.

I put EMI's on my 18 2+3 and it was a pain in the butt. I ordered long tail pipes which ran directly into the power steering cylinder on the inner transom ring, had to switch to the short risers. The center to center distance between transom cut outs was about 4 inches greater. finally I had to have a 1/4" milled off the port manifold then the water passages on the gasket surface welded a re surfaced so the my hatch would close. So much for "direct replacment" as advertised by EMI.
    Jim
    Algonac, Michigan. Where it all began!

hmm, better sleep one more night before buying. Should use the winter to figure out a clear tuning concept. What I understand is it needs more than just the exhaust... they promise 10% power gain in the advertisement, this should be more than just 80 rpm!

Axel.. Can't say about a power gain, as I went from a twin turbo to a tunnel ram
    when I changed to the Stainless Marines....................Ed

I put EMIs on my stock 260 and they were a direct bolt on replacement. I didn't have any of the problems that jg480 had. I got the EMIs to replace my rusted stock units. No problems here. I guess it depends on the set up of the boat.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

Thread Information