Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K-planes and Bennett pumps

K-planes and Bennett pumps

I currently have a set of the twin ram bennetts on my boat, but I would like something that is longer and reacts faster.

If I picked up a set of K-planes, does anyone know if could I use my existing bennett pumps?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

?

what is the modle number on your pumps
    h.f.e.c.d

You want to use JUST the Bennett pump to run K Planes? What size K Planes do you have in mind for your 22? You might want to try and find a set of 110 or 150 K's that have the pumps integrated.

K-Plane pumps (and for that matter, my Power Plane pumps) are smaller versions of your trim pump (at least the pumps seem the same, but w/smaller motors).
    That being said, I don't think they'd be fast enough (enough pump volume).
    But then, I haven't tried it either.
    Why not find a set w/pumps, then sell your Bennetts?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gero1 View Post
    what is the modle number on your pumps
    I'll have to check that. Do you know if some pumps might work?

Greg, I'm thinking more along the lines of 280's. 150's would work, but they're not as easy to find as 280's. That's a lot more tab than most on this site would say is necessary, but I figure the extra length isn't going to hurt...and may even work better.

George, I'm prepared to buy a complete setup but there are often rams for sale without pumps, so that's why I was wondering if the Bennett pumps would work. You are right though....it comes down to volume. I guess what I really need to do is find out the rating of my pumps and the K-plane pumps.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Lightbulb

None of the pumps including Bennet pump real fast, but one pump for each tab with the lines T-ed together I think should do what you want.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Wont work..bennett pumps have 1 line per tab for the up and down. k plane has 2 lines per tab plus the cylinders have seperate lines for the up and down..pressure up and down,if you put a t in line it will fight each other and the ram on the kplane wont move.

Yeller, no doubt that 280's are more readily available. You might want to stop in at S+F and see about the pump volumes.

Run your pump on 24 volts.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    Wont work..bennett pumps have 1 line per tab for the up and down. k plane has 2 lines per tab plus the cylinders have seperate lines for the up and down..pressure up and down,if you put a t in line it will fight each other and the ram on the kplane wont move.

Wrong! I have sistered the lines then paired the up and down wires for another project works just fine, it is no different than hitting both buttons at the same time which we all do many times.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Wrong! I have sistered the lines then paired the up and down wires for another project works just fine, it is no different than hitting both buttons at the same time which we all do many times.

show me! ok if you take one bennett pump that only has one line going to each cylinder and the pump pushes fluid into the cylinder to extend.. i can see one pump working one kplane but not 2 kplanes...he would need 2 seperate bennett pumps..

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    show me! ok if you take one bennett pump that only has one line going to each cylinder and the pump pushes fluid into the cylinder to extend.. i can see one pump working one kplane but not 2 kplanes...he would need 2 seperate bennett pumps..
    Please reread #6!

K plane pumps

I just removed a set of the Bennetts and installed the 150 K plane set. The pumps mounted on the back of the hull to operate the K planes are the same pumps Merc uses to raise and lower the drive unit. I would assume these are fairly common as replacement or scrap.
    Dr. d

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Please reread #6!
    you say T the lines together!! refer to pic 1 which is a k-plane notice it has 2 lines going to it like a trim cylinder when you operate the pump it puts pressure to one line and fills the cylinder then the k plane goes down filling the cylinder,when you push the opposite side of the button it puts pressure to the other line and opens a valve to allow the fluid to flow back in the tank..So if you tie the lines together it will bind the k-plane cylinder and do nothing in either direction..

pic 2 ,, the upper pump is a kplane pump and the lower one id the trim pump..notice the 2 lines,they are both pressure lines and return lines which is done in series with the valving inside the pump..

pic 3 is a trimaster/Bennett style pump..holding the button in the down position will pump the fluid into the Bennett style cylinder allowing it to go down,,holding the button in the up position it will pump the fluid back into the pumps reservoir but only with the help of the spring loaded Bennett style ram..so with this style pump and with out a spring assisted cylinder its impossible for this pump to suck the fluid back into the Bennett style pump..

fixx, mop is saying use 2 bennett pumps (one on each plane) instead of one like the standard bennetts use (one for both tabs). There are two lines coming out of each pump, one for each tab normally, but in the K plane setup you would just have to have one line for up, one for down, then mess with the wiring to make it fire properly.

Thread Information