Thread: Speedometer Question

Speedometer Question

Does a 2001 Classic 22 have a GPS speedometer? Mine stopped working, can you loose the signal? If not GPS, and nothing on the transom, where is the imput and possible problem.
    Last edited by surewin; 09-21-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    1990 Teal, Classic 16, 4.3L, 208 HP
    2001 Red, Classic 22, 502, 415 HP

If it is a stock speedo, chances are it is not GPS. Look on the back of the speedo, you should see a black vacuum tubing. If so, it is mechanical.
    Raise the drive and look at the tubing as it attaches to the drive. It is about halfway up on the front of the drive. I would bet the tubing came loose from its plastic fitting. If the fitting is not broken, put it back on the fitting and put a small zip tie around it.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

You also want to check the small hole at the front of the drive which is where a mechanical pressure speedometer gets its pressure reading. Many times it is blocked with debris. You can usually blow compressed air from where the tubing connects at the speedometer to dislodge the debris or you can use a very small drill bit in your fingers to get it out. You will still want to blow some air through the tubing from the dash area to make sure it is all out. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    You also want to check the small hole at the front of the drive which is where a mechanical pressure speedometer gets its pressure reading. Many times it is blocked with debris. You can usually blow compressed air from where the tubing connects at the speedometer to dislodge the debris or you can use a very small drill bit in your fingers to get it out. You will still want to blow some air through the tubing from the dash area to make sure it is all out. Bill
    I have done this several times. It works like a charm! Its almost hard to believe that the least expensive and easiest thing to repair on a boat is the speedometer!!!
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thanks for the assistance, the tubing fell off the little plastic x on the outdrive.
    1990 Teal, Classic 16, 4.3L, 208 HP
    2001 Red, Classic 22, 502, 415 HP

Speedo....

Gotta try that the next time that my '88 22C is out of the water.....speedo has never worked since I have had the boat.....use "seat of the pants" and tach, and if I really want to know speed for some reason I just put my Garmin GPS on the dash with a piece of velcro....how tacky is that
    Oledawg
    Raconteur, bon vivant, curmudgeon
    Other duties as assigned

Lake Tillery, NC
    - Heart of the Uwharrie Mountains

'88 Donzi Classic 22 "Bad Nuff" - 482 stroker 454, Bravo One, Solas 4 blade, Red/White hull, White Deck ( "drivin" boat )

'87 Correct Craft Riviera "Oledawg" - 454 PCM ( "cruzin" boat )

"A man without a boat is a prisoner" - Faronese proverb

Thread Information