Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tab switch

Tab switch

Has anyone seen these on a boat? Wondering if the indicators work? Broke a switch last weekend and have to replace so thought of going with these since i'd like to have an idea of position. Realize mechanical would be better, but since I have to replace the switch, these seem better than what I have now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BENNE...r#ht_500wt_732

Thanks!

I had the first generation on the Minx.
    Pretty easy to install, and worked flawlessly.
    My only complaint was when you turned on the ignition, the LED's were pretty dim and had to be brightened all the way to be seen.
    This has probably been rectified on this newer version.
    Shop around too. Some do discount them.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I was thinking about these switches too, but then I thought the only time I'd ever really refer to them is when I just get in the boat and am initially getting on plane. Any other time it's pretty much by seat of the pants feel, in my opinion. Then I looked at what needed to be done to install and said forget about it, I can spend that money on something far more useful.

Here's the instructions, FWIW:

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/pdf/i...structions.pdf

I have an earlier version on my Minx. They are Excellent. The install is way too simple. Anyone who says they can fly seat of the pants is ....well......you fill in the blanks..No offense HO.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Thanks guys.. I found them cheaper on several other sites which only puts them a couple hundred over the regular switches i need to replace. Seems like a decent upgrade for the money. I ride with the tabs up most all the time, but will be nice to get a glance to confirm when pulling hard turns and ridin in rough waters. I loose my billet cover, but keeps me from cutting the glass to install any other indicators.

Thanks again... guess I have my fall project...

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    I have an earlier version on my Minx. They are Excellent. The install is way too simple. Anyone who says they can fly seat of the pants is ....well......you fill in the blanks..No offense HO.

John, I know your seat of the pants comment was tongue in cheek and I hate to belabor the point, but seriously. These are little boats where the tabs are incredibly sensitive to begin with. You are setting the tabs by feel, not by the indicators, and it's going to almost always be different every single time you adjust them, if you are even using them at all once you're planing. So you get it adjusted for an offset in weight in the boat or for rough water, then you look down at the indicators to see where they are? What's the point? Each to his own, of course. I just think it's a totally unecessary accessory on boats of this size.

Now what I think is a cool accessory and always wanted on my Albemarle fishing boat were those auto tab controls. Get your boat at the best, most efficient attitude and set it. Then when folks are moving positions on deck or the seas change somewhat, it self adjusts and keeps your set attitude. That's a cool addition.

But having to almost constantly adjust the tabs, you already know where they are in relation to your attitude, I'm sorry but that's just part of piloting the boat. Don't get it, but I will agree that if you feel you need them, those are really nice looking switches!

my 2 cents

I have 2 boats. One with bennett tabs and one with Lenco electric tabs.
    I will not spend another dime to fix the bennett tabs. If a wire breaks on my bennett system it will be replaced with Lenco's. I like the Lenco system that much better. The Lenco's are 2-3 times as fast as the bennett's and much more precise in my opinion.

Sell the bennett parts on ebay and buy a Lenco. Pump will get 125, rams will get 30-40 each.

Just my opinion, FT

Quote Originally Posted by flying tomato View Post
    I have 2 boats. One with bennett tabs and one with Lenco electric tabs.
    I will not spend another dime to fix the bennett tabs. If a wire breaks on my bennett system it will be replaced with Lenco's. I like the Lenco system that much better. The Lenco's are 2-3 times as fast as the bennett's and much more precise in my opinion.

Sell the bennett parts on ebay and buy a Lenco. Pump will get 125, rams will get 30-40 each.

Just my opinion, FT
    Everyone has an opinion, don't they?
    I bet for everyone who prefers Lenco over Bennetts, I'll find 10 who are the opposite.
    It's regretful you've had an unfortunate experience w/Bennetts, but they happen to have the very best customer relations policy in any business anywhere.
    All you have to do is call.

(No, I don't work for Bennett or even own any currently, but they DO take care of their products. A phone call goes a long way.)
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Oh yeah....
    Did I mention I really like knowing where my tabs are?
    I think this indicator is a great product.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Concur with George. Why would you NOT want the information..? Bennett trim indicators installed over 10 years ago as an add on. The Donzi installed stock trim tab rocker buttons to the right of the wheel are used with the indicators.

The digital LCD reads in degrees of depression....ie: Full up..0, to down 20. Back then they were about $180. There is an LED bargraph below the LCD that reads in Percent down.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

I go along with seat of the pants! I have neither a trim gauge or tab indicators, now 70 have been boating since 9. Sea conditions constantly change as do the adjustments to trim & tabs, my eyes are on the water and surrounding area. My comfort and the way my boat is riding it all done by feel, the auto adjusting tab feature is a different story that my friends is the Chits! One of the nicest things to come alone in boating. My eyes except for quick/frequent glances at the temp and oil are always where they belong on the water and surrounding boats, watching unneeded toys will one day get some of you in trouble. Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!
    Maybe looking at girls?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Maybe looking at girls?
    MOP said.."I go along with seat of the pants!" Thong Alert..??

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I go along with seat of the pants! I have neither a trim gauge or tab indicators, now 70 have been boating since 9. Sea conditions constantly change as do the adjustments to trim & tabs, my eyes are on the water and surrounding area. My comfort and the way my boat is riding it all done by feel, the auto adjusting tab feature is a different story that my friends is the Chits! One of the nicest things to come alone in boating. My eyes except for quick/frequent glances at the temp and oil are always where they belong on the water and surrounding boats, watching unneeded toys will one day get some of you in trouble. Next time you have a close call remember what you were doing a few seconds before!
    I took the boat out today thinking of this issue. I do not have indicators. The only time they would be useful for me is knowing if they were all the way down or all the way up.

Like you said, conditions are always changing. You cant have a preset setting for a certain speed. The load in the boat changes, the water changes, the fuel level changes, and the wind changes. After driving the boat and concentrating on this issue, I realized I would never use the gauge while under way. There is no way the gauge will tell me where the tabs need to be at any given point in time unless I am taking off or trailering the boat. The same goes for the trim gauge.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Oh yeah....
    Did I mention I really like knowing where my tabs are?
    I think this indicator is a great product.
    They are most definitely a great product! But the only time I don't know where my tabs are is when I first get in my boat. The rest of the time I know exactly where my tabs are, why don't you?

Thread Information