Thread: stress cracking

stress cracking

i know there are some 22's and some 28's that have some problems with this, are all the zx's having this trouble? if so or not, what years? did they move the stringers on all models in the same year? i kinda hate to switch brands
    h.f.e.c.d

Without getting into a thread that can go to the moon and back, here are a couple of things on the topic..

Any boat no matter how well it is built can end up having a stress crack. It would depend on why the crack may have ended up there that is most important..

If it is from insufficient support or framing, filleting or structural issues then it can be a real problem if not addressed and repaired properly.

If it is from normal useage of the boat and it is just very faint small spider cracks this can sometimes be normal & mean that there is no structural problem, but rather just a cosmetic PITA..

If it is from a small impact it may or may not get worse rapidly, but it is usually better to address it than to neglect it. You don't want water to get in or for it to worsen.

If it is from a major impact it needs to be addressed and repaired properly in addition to also addressing anything structural that may have been compromised.

Even though there were some models that did have some issues or the potential for an issue over the history from day one, it doesn't mean they are a bad boat or problem boat. They like any other brand have their pros & cons and quirks.

Overall Donzi's hulls are a good and built better than most other boats period, and I wouldn't let it ruin my taste for them as a whole,..

Each boat needs to be looked at on a case by case basis and evaluated as such, Regardless of the brand or model.. Jamie / Lakeside

?

did they move the stringgers on the 33 zx's????
    h.f.e.c.d

I think you are thinking of the 22 classic. They had moved the stringers on that on the later ones.. J

I seem to recall they had some cosmetic stuff around the fairings on the zx back early 2000s not structural just cosmetic.

Jamie is spot on about judging each boat.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

ps i forgot if you are thinking about moving up it might be worth it to reach out to bryan tuvell here he moved up right thru the zx line from a 22zx to 26zx finally into 33zx. he went thru some customer service issue with donzi but had them resolved he knows the things to look out for.
    also shangied again Frank C is another person to make the same move up he is another great source of info
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

zx stress cracks

My 1999 22ZX had a few windshield cowl cracks on the side - one was repaired earlier by Donzi - seems I always hit something in the lake and scar the bottom of the hull - well had Mark Wagnalls in Port Huron fixed the bottom and the cowl stress cracks - just the gellcoat - three or four years they never came back. I suspect is is a cosmetic thing. Detroit River and Lake St. Clair have some great freighter wakes - you can really launch a donzi into orbit then down into the trough following the wave. If it had structural issues they would have returned - Mostly the donzi 22ZX seems tough as hell.

Biggest problem is my teenage sons insist on walking on the gloss finish deck with their sailboating shoes - "dad these decks are made to be walked on" - well my donzi deck isn't - seems to scratch easy - "take the dam shoes off boys!" - dad
    Dr. d

ok

thank you gentlemen, i knew they moved them in the classics's but didn't know if they did the same on the zx line
    h.f.e.c.d

Hey Robert, you might want to check with Trueser. He did some reinforcing in the bilge on his last year. His being a 2000 Scorpion. There are some differences in the hulls/decks on the 28zx's; '98-'99 are different than the '00-'08. The only crackin I have is on each corner of the sunpad hinges in the swim platform and on the glove box, where we step ro get on the deck. Have not seen anything on the underside.
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information