Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best prop

best prop

looking for a good prop for the x18
    has 270 drive left hand
    still running original prop that came with boat back in 1973

That prop is not original equipment. The props I sell are the best!!!
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Bob, that's not a prop.
    That's a battery!
    It desperately needs SST or aluminum.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by DAULEY View Post
    looking for a good prop for the x18
    has 270 drive left hand
    still running original prop that came with boat back in 1973

Holy sh.....! How fast is your boat with this "prop"?

Quote Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
    Holy sh.....! How fast is your boat with this "prop"?
    ran at 3500 rpms 39.6 0n gps alot more to go speed limit on lake is 35 on holidays dont need a ticket got one three years ago going 95 and it cost 500 smakers

griz and george what do you suggest

George I know you said it is a battery, but bronze wheels were very common years back. For some reason the Volvo's seem to tolerate them just fine. I had boats that were in the water all the time at my marina with no issues.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

If your looking for speed find a ultra and the pin in the last outter hole..If you want better handling, go with grizz's prop..

Grizz my x18 came with a OJ 21 p bronze prop from the factory, i got it with the boat along with several other oj bronz props..

Hey Dauley; I think George and Grizz are just busting your chops. That's an antique looking prop but if it works for you..stick with it.

It's only a "Battery" if you leave the boat in the water day after day. (Electrolytic .....Brass/Bronze Vs Aluminum in the drive)... Prop Vs Drive. Based on the picture, and the complete Lack of apparent corrosion on the drive....you DON"T have a battery problem.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

If bronze works w/the drive, then I concede, but it looks scary to me.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Actually, I was not busting your chops. I bel3eive this to be true as do all I have sold the props to. Fixx is close to right but it depends on the boat. Kirby has all the props there are and the bronze is not his favorite, not by a long shot. As for corosion, and the bronze prop and old Volvo drives it is not an issue unless someone has a high charge rate boat next to it with bad grounding then it will take a very long time. This was true back in the 50/60. so this is a on issue so take that off the table. In my Corsican's case my props are faster then the Ultra and do not cavitate. and have a higher cruise speed per Rpms. Now cruise is always higher then others on all boats.
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

grizz
    what would be the best prop i posted gps speed at 3500rpms with bronz prop what would i see with one of your and will the boat handle better
    lake was pretty rough about 2footers and alot of boat traffic wash

With my Corsican I run about 42-45 at 3500 maybe a tad higher. Check with Kirby he has it all mapped out. All I can say is my prop seem to be standard equipment on Lake George Donzis. I am not going to give a sales pitch, let the others who use it do that, they have nothing to gain.

Bob, go with one of Griz's Solas props, either a 19" or 21". I'm running the 21 on my '78 X-18, with a new 260 hp motor. Run about 4800 rpm and max speed of 60. I tried the 19" and 21" and liked the 21 better for my boat. The props have very little slip.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

Dauley, add me to the list of guys who run a solas. Better cruise speeds, better handling, better top speed. That's my expierience, on my boat vs. the 24" ultra I used to run.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Thread Information