Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the Velocity against Donzi

How would you rate the Velocity against Donzi

In general as a boat Velocity and Donzi? And the Velocity 260/280 against Donzi 26zx/28zx? Here's the thing:

1. I can find 2003 Velocity 260 (Merc 496) and 2003 280 (Merc 575 Supercharged with Super Chiller) locally in Seatle
    2. I'm looking at 2001/2002 Donzi 28zx in FL: Salt Water Usage, No Trailer (3-5K), and Shipping Cost (3-5K) that I have to deal with.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Selenium View Post
    In general as a boat Velocity and Donzi? And the Velocity 260/280 against Donzi 26zx/28zx? Here's the thing:

1. I can find 2003 Velocity 260 (Merc 496) and 2003 280 (Merc 575 Supercharged with Super Chiller) locally in Seatle
    2. I'm looking at 2001/2002 Donzi 28zx in FL: Salt Water Usage, No Trailer (3-5K), and Shipping Cost (3-5K) that I have to deal with.
    Not to fond of them(Velocity),had a friend of a friend in 1997 hit a wave in his and when the boat landed it literally fall apart..When the boat blew apart and while he was on his way out of the boat through the bottom he hit his chin on the steering wheel and broke his neck..then he drowned because when his neck broke it severed hid spinal cord..

he may have been going to fast but i wouldnt think the boat shoud not have came apart like it did.

here's the story.http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...er-coast-guard

"the whole boat just broke"

Not acceptable . . .

Very sad story, I hate to hear/see/read that.

Here's my $.02. From what I understand the Velocity hulls are very light, fairly fast (for their class), and......in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane. But, from what I understand, motor for motor, the Velocity's can run. I love our 28ZX, from the lines to the way she handles. Don't know if the twins are your thing or not, but I LOVE'EM......from docking to handling.

Sorry in advance if you are in love with the lines of the Velocity and I offended, wouldn't be the first time, but to each their own. Good luck in your search,

tom
    2002 28ZX

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane.
    Didn't know these boats
    but I agree
    "not a looker"

don't look original

little fountain beak . . .

I'd look at this instead , very rare and lines (if you like) are similiar.

2002 250S COLE WORLD CLASS

Date: 2010-08-06, 1:16PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-bf7vd-1884576186@craigslist.org

2002 250S COLE WORLD CLASS 496/425 H.O X DRIVE WITH XR UPGRADE GEARS. THIS BOAT IS IMMACULATE CALL SKIP @928-486-4851 FOR SHOWING YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. WILL CONSIDER TRADE

Here's my $.02. From what I understand the Velocity hulls are very light, fairly fast (for their class), and......in my opinion, ugly! I have not been able to warm up to any Velocity I have ever seen, whether it have a cool whorehouse paint job or just plain jane. But, from what I understand, motor for motor, the Velocity's can run. I love our 28ZX, from the lines to the way she handles. Don't know if the twins are your thing or not, but I LOVE'EM......from docking to handling.
    Sorry in advance if you are in love with the lines of the Velocity and I offended, wouldn't be the first time, but to each their own. Good luck in your search,
    tom
    Wow, that is big coming from a closet Checkmate owner! Lol

I looked high and low for the perfect 26-28 footer. I discussed this with many big single owners. I was told over and over by those that had rigged them with big power that they are not the way to go. Fast? Yes. Ride like a bass boat? Yes. Sure they will go 100+ on glass. Throw in some small waves and all bets are off. I ended up with a 26ZX. It is no all out racer but is rigged much better than the V. I would do a 28 as well with all combos.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

here's the story.http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...er-coast-guard[/quote]

[The accident forced the cancellation of the Silver Cup Challenge Power Boat Race, which was scheduled to start off Navy Pier at 1 p.m., Kirwen said. Vitullo's boat was not entered in the race]

I remember that day very well, I was the referee for that Silver Cup Race. From what I remember that Velocity was a mess with a very tragic end. Not only was there a boat accident but on land the L train started on fire also. After that the city said No Race.

My preference is the Donzi...I agreed the lines are way better that the Velocity. Velocity curving up to where the windshield meet is not my taste. But finding the right Donzi is so hard....28ZX.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Wow, that is big coming from a closet Checkmate owner! Lol
    Wow is right you sh!t slinger........checkmate.......that's funny!!!! For the record, No checkmates here. Who loves ya Bill??? I do I do.

I feel better knowin that I didn't offend ya Selen. Finding the right boat can be a challenge. Trueser's 28ZX Scorpion came from out in the Sea-Tac area 3 yrs ago so I know some are out there. Now whether they are for sale or not, that's another story. Check Craigslist or ebay maybe. Good luck, ours was worth the wait.
    2002 28ZX

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Here is one close to you,he effed up on the addy tho! volvo dont make xr drives and the pics look like volvo sx drives which are faster then the merc's,this one is close to you..
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1862340147.html

all others i found

http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=donzi+zx

tom
    +1 ON THIS OPINION

as always i agree with tom
    minus all the hate of course
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by glashole View Post
    +1 ON THIS OPINION

as always i agree with tom
    minus all the hate of course
    Haha.

......and this is saying a lot considering Shea (Glashole) is a Classic man (Mr. Anti ZX).

I really like that 28ZX in the Chicagoland area (white deck, black sides/checker board and red stripe). I am not a fan of the Volvo outdrives from a service-ability standpoint, I prefer the Bravo I's.

Oh, and I'm a hater
    2002 28ZX

Any boat can come apart if pushed beyond it's limits.

I would crawl around and drive them both and make your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Any boat can come apart if pushed beyond it's limits.
    I would crawl around and drive them both and make your decision.
    I like my odds with my 13' Boston Whaler.

Good advice checking out both of them, but I still think the Velocity's are ugly (opinions and A-holes)
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information