Thread: Bilge Pump

Bilge Pump

I want to thank all of you for your input, I think I am going to buy an 1100 GPH but my only other question is:

Do I install one with a separate Float

or

One with a Float built into the Bilge Pump Housing?

My white Float is floating in the bottom of my engine housing from last weekend, I have not yet had time to give it attention.

Pete

PS Another question, to put pictures of my boat do I need to use photoshop to reduce the Pixel size?

Quote Originally Posted by pdaigle View Post
    I want to thank all of you for your input, I think I am going to buy an 1100 GPH but my only other question is:

Do I install one with a separate Float

or

One with a Float built into the Bilge Pump Housing?

My white Float is floating in the bottom of my engine housing from last weekend, I have not yet had time to give it attention.

Pete

PS Another question, to put pictures of my boat do I need to use photoshop to reduce the Pixel size?
    I like a seperate switch as you can address the switch w/o fooling w/the pump, or even locate the switch remotely if you want to.

As far as posting pictures goes, it helps to reduce the file size as it will load much faster for folks w/slow service.
    I try to resize mine to 8 1/2 X 11 or about 180-300 K so they're a lot easier to handle than some of the new cameras w/10-12 megs.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Separate float switch...definitely...

The perfect setup is 2 bilge pumps next to each other in the bilge thru two thru hulls, each on it's own circuit thru 2 float switches one mounted several inches higher than the other, wired to two separate batteries before the battery switch.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Instead of a float switch I would suggest a water witch:http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/Sit...eSwitches.html No moving parts. I have one in my boat and find it makes things simpler, cleaner and therefore more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwpe View Post
    Instead of a float switch I would suggest a water witch:http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/Sit...eSwitches.html No moving parts. I have one in my boat and find it makes things simpler, cleaner and therefore more reliable.
    Looks cool, looks like a unique conductivity thing. Do you know how it works? The kind that turn on every minute for a few seconds are battery killers.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo View Post
    Looks cool, looks like a unique conductivity thing. Do you know how it works? The kind that turn on every minute for a few seconds are battery killers.
    The switch is wired between the pump and the battery. Once water covers the contacts on the switch it closes the circuit so it is always on "automatic". When the water recedes, the contacts open and the pump shuts off. The manual pump switch on the dash is wired in parallel for manual operation. There is nothing to get clogged or hung up which eliminates about 90% of bilge pump problems (in my experience anyway).

Thread Information