Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a show your engine thread...?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPearl View Post
    Here is a pic of the motors in the Dirty Pearl. They are 540's with 8-71 Superchargers.
    Nice, what boat is that?
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Nice, what boat is that?
    He posted under my 36' Cigarette thread that it is a 36' Cig. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

302 HM in my 69' 16

Looks nice Jeff, It's fun to see other 16s. By the way, how do you like the hatch strut mounted on your engine hatch, does it function well with the quick detach hinges? (I'm assuming you have the same ones as me)
    Bob

Covington, Washington
    1966 Donzi 16' Hull #16-226

here are some short videos...

a little video clip of our boat idling over to the boat launch so you can hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/GSx8zAmi3R0

Eaton outdrive rotating 101
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaFB...yer_detailpage

thread on our boat
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61975

Video of the boat on the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qXz4CJS8U

Bob,

The hatch struts work great-- I can detach them quickly if I need to remove the entire hatch. What I need now is a new latch.

Jeff

I still love how this looks, SO BAD ASS

more so because its a ford with headers, rare!!

Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

My Minx's Stock 350 Magnum with Dapars.
    It seems so UN compared to the Glamour Motors.
    But at the end of the day It gets me back to the dock

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Ttt..........
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Here's mine

Sbc 397 hp 452 ft/lbs
    Algonac, Michigan. Where it all began!

donzi racer Guest

Gt 21 big block

Don't know the cubic inches but I know it is a MONSTER, & Pushes a 55 mph boat over 80 mph & that ain't bad! Tom

This is all I can "ad"............
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

donzi racer Guest

This one I do know a little bit about!

This engine I know a little more about than the GT-21 motor. I had put some of these engines on a previous engine post, but will put them back up for this thread. They were all eye candy to me,so I hope you enjoy them. This engine was custom built for one of the very few 1988 Testa Rossa 22 foot classics. The 1st 454 motor that came with the boat in 1988, was removed and rebuilt by John Lingenfelter. It had upper 500's in HP plus a very high HP Nitrous Oxide kit hooked to it. This was done basically when the boat was rather new. The nitrous bottle was never filled, thank God, but when this unbeaten 22 was finally bested by a new fangled Foutain, the motor was removed & a new GM Big block sent to Lingenfelter's shop & what was delivered back was a 682 Dynoed HP high torgue monster. Just for giggles, the nitrous system is still hooked up in case there is ever anyone that would like to see what a 1000 hp feels like in a 22 foot Donzi. The amazing thing about this wonderful Donzi is that it is basically stock except for the engine & bullet bravo drive. Oh yea, also the robot hood scoop is not quite stock. ha ha

donzi racer Guest

OK, so it is a boring Saturday, so here are a few!

Here is a little small block Ford 302 that sounded like a big block monster. It was built for a 1968 Barrel Back & seemed to have gobs of HP but could not keep the boat in the water. Next, I will put some pics of a small block 408 in a 1966 Barrel Back that was the opposite as far as handling. Like it was on rails up to mid 70's. Both boats had merc bravo drives. Tom

donzi racer Guest

This is Brownies' son, Mike Brown's Creation!

Blown Crew Cab created this 1966 Barrel Back from a discarded bare hull & cap. The motor as described to me is 400 chevy bored to a 408 with lots of Special Goodies. When he was descibing it to me, my eyes kinda glazed over & all I heard was a word every now & again. But it may have something titanium, aluminum, or stainless steel, maybe something was decked, or was it some pop ups, seems like something was double pumping, anyway lots of stuff that sounded FAST, REAL FAST! It has the Loudest Dang Motor I ever heard! Mike said to me that he was about to fire it up so watch out it is loud! I just laughed, I kindly told him that I had been around Donzi's for over 40 years & knew about the noise. He let that beast come to life & I got dizzy from the vibration, jumped straight back 3 feet! Noise must be GOOD though, because it seemed to help the boat go REAL FAST, just this side of 80 mph. The name of the boat you may ask? Should be "LOUD DAMN BOAT", but of course it is QUIET PLEASE! God help anyone that is in the boat when you go between bridge walls. Sounds like someone is bombing you. Tom

I already posted on my little motor when I started the thread, but thought everyone would enjoy the history of it, after I have learned a little more talking with my dad. It's not one of the big impressive high horsepower motors some of you guys have posted, but this little engine has some cool background...

My dad (we lived in SoCal at the time in 1966) purchased the 289 HIPO block new from Detroit and had it shipped out to Dave Zueschel (Hot Rod Hall of Fame Engine Builder). Dave and my dad spec'd out the engine, they had the block decked and the cylinders cross-hatched?, all balanced and matched components (crank, flywheel, etc). The crank was even modified, balanced, cross-drilled, chamfered, etc. Then they had Ed Iskendarien Cams build a mild cam for it and Edlebrock supply one of their new manifolds. Dad took the heads down to Joe Mondello to have them modified, ported, polished, etc. They wanted a strong dependable motor with some higher performance but nothing extreme. That huge oil pan is cast aluminum.

Fast forward 45 years of storage and stories and we are bringing a low use old engine back to life. We replaced an oil pump and a carburator and added an electronic distrubutor to replace the dual points. The first thing I heard from Scotty when we got it started again was "That thing sounds like no engine I have ever heard"

So this engine has really been touched by some legends of the Hot Rod business. Scott himself even worked with and knew Dave Zueschel, so it is a small world. I have contacted Edlebrock and Mondello to let them know about this time capsule and it has been fun. We are going to pull it out again this spring and have some more engine work done and keep it true to the original build. Should be purring like a bad-ass little kitten by boat season...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob

Covington, Washington
    1966 Donzi 16' Hull #16-226

here are some short videos...

a little video clip of our boat idling over to the boat launch so you can hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/GSx8zAmi3R0

Eaton outdrive rotating 101
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaFB...yer_detailpage

thread on our boat
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61975

Video of the boat on the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qXz4CJS8U

Thread Information